The Student Room Group

Southampton A100 (BM5) 2020 Entry

Welcome to the University of Southampton A100 (BM5) 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm5_a100.page?

For entry requirements click: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm5_a100.page?#entry_requirements%0A____________________

Southamptom Medicine 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6331732

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi I'm currently studying in India but i am a british citizen. The requirements say 80 percentage and my predicted scores are 85% although it isn't really a competitive score but I have done a lot of social service and interned at a gp clinic and hospital. I really want to go here, do you still think i have a chance if i get an alright UCAT score?
hi please can someone help me, i got a 647.5 avg and band 3 in ucat is it worth applying here... i have really limited options as well since i only achieved 5 a stars at gcse
did southampton have some sort of ucat threshold or cut off last year? if so what was it?
Reply 4
Original post by pseudo123
did southampton have some sort of ucat threshold or cut off last year? if so what was it?

Yes, SOuthampton select using UCAT and will have a cut off. They decline to release past cut off information and usually refuse to answer FOIs too. Trawl through last year's thread and look for the lowest cut off. Has been around 640 in the past, but felt a bit higher last year from the thread
i got a 2470 overall , i really hope its enough ://

Original post by pseudo123
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, SOuthampton select using UCAT and will have a cut off. They decline to release past cut off information and usually refuse to answer FOIs too. Trawl through last year's thread and look for the lowest cut off. Has been around 640 in the past, but felt a bit higher last year from the thread

I emailed them a few days ago asking about the minimum ukcat invited to interview for international students last year (I'd assume it'd be around the same for home/eu as well?) and they said it was 2530, which is 632.5
Hi please, can someone advise me of whether I should apply to Southampton... my ucat score is 647.5 B3 and I got 5A* 4A's and GCSE... predicted AAA

Thank you
Reply 8
For anybody for whom it may be of interest, Southampton's recent UCAT cut offs have been 663, 645 (2018 entry), 627.5 (2019 entry)
Did anyone with a place at Southampton this year get a relatively low UCAT score? I want to apply for 2020 but have a score of 2550 (average 637). I'm worried that applying may be too much of a risk.
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Original post by DGeorge13
Probably Aston for diversity although I’m not an expert. Working environment isn’t a problem as libraries at uni are generally predominantly silent study and the books can be got in on inter library loan if necessary but most are well stocked - did work experience in Southampton hospital library (used by uni too). Genuinely though I would pick where you are more likely to get in if it were me as I would rather do medicine than be close to home although I understand many may be different to this as many of my friends are. Pick where you are likely to be happy out of the places that you realistically stand a chance at.

I would say Exeter has got a bit of a reputation and I don’t know the extent to which it is true although I would say not to let a couple of stories put you off if you got a good vibe and feel it would suit you as most institutions have them.

So how was the Southampton hospital library experience? Please let me know to a lot of detail because I may apply there and as I said, I may need a second opinion... so please :smile:
Original post by HecticG
So how was the Southampton hospital library experience? Please let me know to a lot of detail because I may apply there and as I said, I may need a second opinion... so please :smile:

The library was very well resourced and everyone seemed friendly - it was part of the hospital and apparently quite a good medical library as there was an agreement with a few nhs trusts to share it obviously with different rules and regulations as nothing is ever simple. Definitely informative in my decision to do medicine as it showed me I would never be the best or know everything but would always be able to instead find things to work on and develop. The library and hospital teaching facilities I think are about 10-15 minutes away from the main campus facilities.
Southampton itself is alright. Medicine sized place and relatively good shops although it’s not the nicest looking compared to other places I’ve been to (I may be biased as I’m relatively local). It seems very diverse and I know that some students end up in the Channel Islands on placement which would be an experience - there’s also a developmental institute at the hospital although I’m not sure how much that benefits students
The library was very well resourced and everyone seemed friendly - it was part of the hospital and apparently quite a good medical library as there was an agreement with a few nhs trusts to share it obviously with different rules and regulations as nothing is ever simple. Definitely informative in my decision to do medicine as it showed me I would never be the best or know everything but would always be able to instead find things to work on and develop. The library and hospital teaching facilities I think are about 10-15 minutes away from the main campus facilities.
Southampton itself is alright. Medicine sized place and relatively good shops although it’s not the nicest looking compared to other places I’ve been to (I may be biased as I’m relatively local). It seems very diverse and I know that some students end up in the Channel Islands on placement which would be an experience - there’s also a developmental institute at the hospital although I’m not sure how much that benefits students

Do you think navigating from one place to another would be easy?
Also, do you think that it is an enjoyable place to be at? Like are there football pitches, boxing rings and etc? Can you use this whenever you want?
Guys if you have attended the Southampton open day, let me know how it was. I'm thinking of applying but I want to know how the environment is... THanks :smile:
Original post by HecticG
Do you think navigating from one place to another would be easy?
Also, do you think that it is an enjoyable place to be at? Like are there football pitches, boxing rings and etc? Can you use this whenever you want?

I’m pretty sure there’s a cheap bus and it’s not too bad. There is a lot to do - not sure about how it works in terms of using the stuff although I presume you can use when you want
Original post by HecticG
Guys if you have attended the Southampton open day, let me know how it was. I'm thinking of applying but I want to know how the environment is... THanks :smile:

I’m going to stop talking about Southampton now as I don’t really want my opinions on it to sway you as I’ve grown up nearby so am likely biased
I’m going to stop talking about Southampton now as I don’t really want my opinions on it to sway you as I’ve grown up nearby so am likely biased

No it's fine, I may apply there anyways :biggrin:
Reply 17
how do southampton decide who to interview? i have a low UCAT but am a grad applicant
Reply 18
Original post by medic1997_
how do southampton decide who to interview? i have a low UCAT but am a grad applicant

The rank based on UCAT score. Graduates are assessed separately to school leavers, even on BM6, I believe
does anyone know what the lowest ucat someone achieved last year that they interviewed