ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

Welcome to the University of Southampton A102 (BM6) 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medici.../bm6_a102.page

For entry requirements click: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medici...______________

Southamptom Medicine 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6331732

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 7 months ago
MedicalMuffins
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)

Welcome to the University of Southampton A101 (BM4) 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medici.../bm6_a102.page

For entry requirements click: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medici...______________

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Hiya,

Thanks for starting up this thread. I’m a third year student (technically now 4th year due to results!) at Southampton, entered via BM6 and more than happy to answer questions for any prospective students.

P.S: Your thread title says Bm6 but then your main body says BM4. Sorry not sure which one this is meant to be!
Mckailer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MedicalMuffins)
Hiya,

Thanks for starting up this thread. I’m a third year student (technically now 4th year due to results!) at Southampton, entered via BM6 and more than happy to answer questions for any prospective students.

P.S: Your thread title says Bm6 but then your main body says BM4. Sorry not sure which one this is meant to be!
Hiya, if you don't mind me asking what were your stats including UCAT score when you applied and how did you go about answering the additional questions you get when applying for BM6
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mckailer)
Hiya, if you don't mind me asking what were your stats including UCAT score when you applied and how did you go about answering the additional questions you get when applying for BM6
Heyy,

I’m incredibly sorry for the late reply!

Stats wise I wasn’t very exciting:

A levels: ABBA* in History, chemistry, biology and EPQ. BM6 have such a massive range with people who 3A*s and others with 3Bs. It doesn’t correlate to how well you’ll do in medical school.

GCSEs: 5A*s 3As and 2Bs

UKCAT: I remember being distinctly average around 600. But can’t do an exact breakdown but it’s probably in a box somewhere at home.

UCAT is basically a tick box activity for BM6 entry. Your score isn’t factored into the decision making process. So focus on the questions, personal statement and interview (hopefully when the time comes)

In terms of the additional questions, they didn’t have them in 2015 when I applied. I had a similar thing for Keele (standard entry) though and I just did the following:

- Looked at the universities non academic criteria as that’s what they mark on.
-picked one or two opportunities to reflect on. Don’t go overboard and pick tons
- made sure my answers directly answered the questions.

Please feel free to give me a shout with any further questions I promise I’ll be better at replying :P
Mckailer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heyy,

A levels: ABBA* in History, chemistry, biology and EPQ. BM6 have such a massive range with people who 3A*s and others with 3Bs. It doesn’t correlate to how well you’ll do in medical school.

UKCAT: I remember being distinctly average around 600. But can’t do an exact breakdown but it’s probably in a box somewhere at home.

UCAT is basically a tick box activity for BM6 entry. Your score isn’t factored into the decision making process. So focus on the questions, personal statement and interview (hopefully when the time comes)

In terms of the additional questions, they didn’t have them in 2015 when I applied. I had a similar thing for Keele (standard entry) though and I just did the following:

-picked one or two opportunities to reflect on. Don’t go overboard and pick tons

Please feel free to give me a shout with any further questions I promise I’ll be better at replying :P
Thanks for answering my questions, I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few more about the course itself:
How is anatomy taught at Southampton, do you use pro-section or dissection or a mixture of both?
Also, how are you taught in the foundation year, is it PBL or lectures or a mixture of both?
Where do placements take place in year 0 and up? And what's the most common way to travel to placements?
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for answering my questions, I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few more about the course itself:
How is anatomy taught at Southampton, do you use pro-section or dissection or a mixture of both?
Also, how are you taught in the foundation year, is it PBL or lectures or a mixture of both?
Where do placements take place in year 0 and up? And what's the most common way to travel to placements?
No go wild on the questions

Anatomy is taught the same throughout. It’s prosection. You go round cadavers in groups of 10ish students and label, explore the cadaver regarding the relevant body section. Year Zero has a lot more physiology than anatomy btw

BM6 year zero is taught like the rest of the medical school, integrated. So that’s a mix of lectures, tutorials, placements and workshops.i like the mix as I use lectures for a basic understanding and then tutorials to see if I can think for myself and ask any questions I have.

Placements in BM6 year zero onwards are taken in southampton and it’s surrounding areas such as Winchester, Lymington, Portsmouth, Bournemouth etc. The furthest you can go is Reading, Guildford and Frimley but that’s reserved for years 4 and 5 of Study
Humza131
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I wanted to ask if you would be able to post your personal statement that you used when applying for BM6 or email it to me? I am going to find writing the personal statement the hardest as I'm not a very talented in writing. I also wanted to ask does southampton take SJT into account or not?
Mckailer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No go wild on the questions

Anatomy is taught the same throughout. It’s prosection. You go round cadavers in groups of 10ish students and label, explore the cadaver regarding the relevant body section. Year Zero has a lot more physiology than anatomy btw

BM6 year zero is taught like the rest of the medical school, integrated. So that’s a mix of lectures, tutorials, placements and workshops.i like the mix as I use lectures for a basic understanding and then tutorials to see if I can think for myself and ask any questions I have.

Placements in BM6 year zero onwards are taken in southampton and it’s surrounding areas such as Winchester, Lymington, Portsmouth, Bournemouth etc. The furthest you can go is Reading, Guildford and Frimley but that’s reserved for years 4 and 5 of Study
How do people usually travel to placements, I was considering getting a motorbike but not sure if the distances to and from placements are too far. Also what year can you intercalate?
AlevelReject68
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heyy,

So is an interview offer determined completely by your personal statement/answers to the questions? What about your academics?
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How do people usually travel to placements, I was considering getting a motorbike but not sure if the distances to and from placements are too far. Also what year can you intercalate?
Motorbikes. I guess depends on how well you ride (can you do motorbikes on the motorway??) Bournemouth (25 miles), Portsmouth (15 miles), Poole (29 miles), Waterlooville (16 miles).

You can intercalated between 3rd year and 4th year of study
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Humza131)
Hey, I wanted to ask if you would be able to post your personal statement that you used when applying for BM6 or email it to me? I am going to find writing the personal statement the hardest as I'm not a very talented in writing. I also wanted to ask does southampton take SJT into account or not?
Heyy I can’t paste my PS bit more than happy to email it over

Southampton do not use SJT into account
Humza131
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That would be great, thanks.
Humza131
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heyy I can’t paste my PS bit more than happy to email it over

Southampton do not use SJT into account
Thanks a lot.
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AlevelReject68)
So is an interview offer determined completely by your personal statement/answers to the questions? What about your academics?

Yes, but once at interview everyone is equal so it’s all about writing well and reflecting

Once you’ve met the minimum academic criteria there’s no advantage for someone to get 10A*s compared to 2A*s
AlevelReject68
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, but once at interview everyone is equal so it’s all about writing well and reflecting

Once you’ve met the minimum academic criteria there’s no advantage for someone to get 10A*s compared to 2A*s
Oh thats pretty cool. How did the interview day work? Was there a math test involved/group activity/mmi/panel? Are you allowed to disclose whether there was a role play station?
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh thats pretty cool. How did the interview day work? Was there a math test involved/group activity/mmi/panel? Are you allowed to disclose whether there was a role play station?
Southampton is a two interview system. One panel interview and the other a group one.

There isn’t role play that’s more of an MMI thing but the actual content varies based on the interviewer too
AlevelReject68
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Southampton is a two interview system. One panel interview and the other a group one.

There isn’t role play that’s more of an MMI thing but the actual content varies based on the interviewer too
Thank you! Is it just with 1 interviewer at the panel or are there like 2 in the same room?
Mckailer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone applied yet, if so what are your stats?
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you! Is it just with 1 interviewer at the panel or are there like 2 in the same room?
2 interviewers with you at the same time
z2002
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you know the eligibility criteria for this course, do you HAVE to meet 3 of them, because i only seem to meet two of the criteria..so would that mean an instant reject
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
17.65%
I'm not sure (5)
2.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (66)
35.29%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.6%
I'm not a current university student (80)
42.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed