MedicalMuffins
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by z2002)
Do you know the eligibility criteria for this course, do you HAVE to meet 3 of them, because i only seem to meet two of the criteria..so would that mean an instant reject
You have to meet three of the criteria so unfortunately you would receive a pre interview rejection.

You would be able to still apply for BM5 if you wish though
Advertisement
wxgmak
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by MedicalMuffins)
Hiya,

Thanks for starting up this thread. I’m a third year student (technically now 4th year due to results!) at Southampton, entered via BM6 and more than happy to answer questions for any prospective students.

P.S: Your thread title says Bm6 but then your main body says BM4. Sorry not sure which one this is meant to be!
Hi! Thinking of applying to BM6
I’ve got 7A’s and 3B’s
My predicted- AAA
UCAT- 610 band1
My ucat is low but is it okay to be considered an interview ?
wxgmak
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You have to meet three of the criteria so unfortunately you would receive a pre interview rejection.

You would be able to still apply for BM5 if you wish though
Also, since Southampton have an emphasis on personal statements would you mind looking over mine? If you’re too busy or Personal statements aren’t your thing that’s fine
Advertisement
MEA Medic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by wxgmak)
I’ve got 7A’s and 3B’s
My predicted- AAA
UCAT- 610 band1
These stats re good to apply for BM5 so consider that
wxgmak
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mohammad Eisa)
These stats re good to apply for BM5 so consider that
I think my UCAT is a huge disadvantage to most unis so I’m not too sure. Thank you for the heads up though! I’ll come consider it but BM6 seems like the more safer option for me.
Advertisement
MEA Medic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think my UCAT is a huge disadvantage to most unis so I’m not too sure. Thank you for the heads up though! I’ll come consider it but BM6 seems like the more safer option for me.
You can apply to those universities which don't heavily look at UCAT. BM6 doesn't look at UKCAT unless they have 2 candidates w similar scores. The reason why I said BM5 for you because they have less competition comparing to BM6 which has one seat per 19 candidates.
wxgmak
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You can apply to those universities which don't heavily look at UCAT. BM6 doesn't look at UKCAT unless they have 2 candidates w similar scores. The reason why I said BM5 for you because they have less competition comparing to BM6 which has one seat per 19 candidates.
Wow. Competition is High, I don’t think I can apply for BM5 as I got a 6 for bio.
Do you know any unis that aren’t ucat heavy?
I’ve looked at the other medical school thread and was considering ARU and perhaps Liverpool. Not too sure
Advertisement
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’ve got 7A’s and 3B’s
My predicted- AAA
UCAT- 610 band1
For BM6 your UCAT really doesn’t matter so no stress

And yeah more than happy to look at your PS. DM me and we can do emails and stuff!
MEA Medic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Wow. Competition is High, I don’t think I can apply for BM5 as I got a 6 for bio.
Do you know any unis that aren’t ucat heavy?
I’ve looked at the other medical school thread and was considering ARU and perhaps Liverpool. Not too sure
Ohh right coz u need a A/7 in Bio so you can’t rly apply for BM5. i am also applying to ARU!

I applied for BM6 last year but got rejected even with good GCSEs and predicted grades but i am guessing my reference or personal statement wasn’t that good. Consider looking at Uni of Keele or Sheffield coz ur stats look good to get interviews from them so research about it.
Advertisement
wxgmak
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Ohh right coz u need a A/7 in Bio so you can’t rly apply for BM5. i am also applying to ARU!

I applied for BM6 last year but got rejected even with good GCSEs and predicted grades but i am guessing my reference or personal statement wasn’t that good. Consider looking at Uni of Keele or Sheffield coz ur stats look good to get interviews from them so research about it.
I was also looking at Keele. Thank you so much for your help!
I will need to look more into Keele because I havent really researched it properly.
Where else are you applying? Unfortunately, my sixth-form isn't the best with medical applications or personal statements so It's a bit tough writing a top-notch personal statement.
MEA Medic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I was also looking at Keele. Thank you so much for your help!
I will need to look more into Keele because I havent really researched it properly.
Where else are you applying? Unfortunately, my sixth-form isn't the best with medical applications or personal statements so It's a bit tough writing a top-notch personal statement.
I am on gap year rn. I applied to BM6 last year but couldn't make it. Now I am applying to mostly the same unis as last year except BM6 and Imperial. This year my choices are Keele, Manchester, Nottingham 6 Years foundation, East Anglia 6 years and Manchester backup. I wish you best of luck with your application and good luck writing your personal statement. I hope you get in bro
Advertisement
wxgmak
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I am on gap year rn. I applied to BM6 last year but couldn't make it. Now I am applying to mostly the same unis as last year except BM6 and Imperial. This year my choices are Keele, Manchester, Nottingham 6 Years foundation, East Anglia 6 years and Manchester backup. I wish you best of luck with your application and good luck writing your personal statement. I hope you get in bro
Thank you so much! Good luck to you too! You’ve got this and seem to know what you’re doing.
auha54321
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Help! I really want to apply for this but i feel like my Gcses will let me down: 87A6666655 . Also i don't know what to think to my UCAT bc i got 665 average B2 which is okay but i was hoping for a higher score to compensate for low GCSE'S.

Also Predicted ABBa (Bio,chem,maths,EPQ)
Advertisement
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by auha54321)
Help! I really want to apply for this but i feel like my Gcses will let me down: 87A6666655 . Also i don't know what to think to my UCAT bc i got 665 average B2 which is okay but i was hoping for a higher score to compensate for low GCSE'S.

Also Predicted ABBa (Bio,chem,maths,EPQ)
For Southampton BM6 the minimum entry requirements are all you need. If you meet the requirements then you’re fine.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/course...rse=entry#main

The interview process is decided between: personal statement and three questions. That’s it. So write well. Look at the non academic criteria on the website
Mckailer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
For Southampton BM6 the minimum entry requirements are all you need. If you meet the requirements then you’re fine.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/course...rse=entry#main

The interview process is decided between: personal statement and three questions. That’s it. So write well. Look at the non academic criteria on the website
Wait, just to clarify Southampton shortlist people for interviews - once they have met the academic requirements - solely using personal statement and the additional questions? They do not score/use GCSE's or A-Levels when deciding who to interview?
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So do they rank personal statement and academic criteria? Because I applied last year and I think they only had 29 places so I don’t rly sure how they select their candidates based on personal statement and other things
Pre interview: Personal statement and response to three questions.

Post interview: Interview performance

That’s it. You still need to meet the academic criteria to be invited to interview but you get no particular advantage for having 10A*s compared to 2a*s
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mckailer)
Wait, just to clarify Southampton shortlist people for interviews - once they have met the academic requirements - solely using personal statement and the additional questions? They do not score/use GCSE's or A-Levels when deciding who to interview?
Yes your understanding is correct

You must still meet the minimum entry requirements to apply.
Advertisement
suf6799
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi would anybody be able to tell me what the three questions everyone is goin on about thanks
MEA Medic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by suf6799)
Hi would anybody be able to tell me what the three questions everyone is goin on about thanks
Hey, you ll get an email by BM6 Admission department once they have finished screening every candidates. That email will have an attached document which ll contain 3 questions and you ll be required to answer those questions before their deadline. I think they will give about 3 weeks or one month to complete those 3 questions. Good Luck.
suf6799
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey, you ll get an email by BM6 Admission department once they have finished screening every candidates. That email will have an attached document which ll contain 3 questions and you ll be required to answer those questions before their deadline. I think they will give about 3 weeks or one month to complete those 3 questions. Good Luck.
Thanks for the clarification
do you know what type of questions they are like are they the same every year
Also how do Southampton decide who to call for an interview I read somewhere it was based solely on PS and these q's
if so do they rank gcse and ucat
or do they have a minimum ucat and gcse scores
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads