The Student Room Group

St Andrews A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Do we need to buy a stethoscope in first year and if so which one is best to get?
Original post by Fezza101
Do we need to buy a stethoscope in first year and if so which one is best to get?

Yes you will. The school will send you guidance over summer about all of the equipment you need to buy so I suggest waiting until they send you that info just in case the one they recommend now is different to the one I was told to buy last year.
However, just to emphasise what I said in a previous reply, if you already have one, you don't need to buy their recommended one, atleast not for first year. :smile:
Reply 582
If your first choice is Glasgow you have a pretty high chance of getting it, just do well in your year 2 exams. Most people choose Edinburgh as their first choice so you’re lucky there, I think about half of the people end up doing to Glasgow, 1/3 go to Edinburgh then the rest are divided between the remaining Scottish medical schools. Don’t worry too much about it.

Hi following this, is it possible for you to change the pathway after 3 years( ie changing from England to Scotland route)? I'm an international student and was wondering if I could determine my path after 3 years or must follow through with my initial choice (Manchester).
Original post by Shiv_2
Hi following this, is it possible for you to change the pathway after 3 years( ie changing from England to Scotland route)? I'm an international student and was wondering if I could determine my path after 3 years or must follow through with my initial choice (Manchester).

Hi, it’s extremely rare to be able to change paths and if you’re international I image it may be harder. You can always ask your academic tutor once you start but bare in mind that you may not be able to change so be prepared to go to Manchester if that’s your pathway. If you’re not happy to go to Manchester, St. Andrews course may not be best for you.

All the best
Hi, it’s extremely rare to be able to change paths and if you’re international I image it may be harder. You can always ask your academic tutor once you start but bare in mind that you may not be able to change so be prepared to go to Manchester if that’s your pathway. If you’re not happy to go to Manchester, St. Andrews course may not be best for you.

All the best

Just to follow on from this:
International students CANNOT change route. UK students can ask to change in 1st semester of 2nd year but it's not guaranteed and it would depend on how many people from each route want to switch so the better you do in your first year exams, the better the chances of being able to change but international students do not get the option.
Does anyone know if the laundry in David Russell apartments or any of the self catered en-suite have a washer and dryer or just washer? Thank
Reply 586
Original post by StAMed2019
Just to follow on from this:
International students CANNOT change route. UK students can ask to change in 1st semester of 2nd year but it's not guaranteed and it would depend on how many people from each route want to switch so the better you do in your first year exams, the better the chances of being able to change but international students do not get the option.

Damn that sucks :frown: I assume there's no exceptions, even if you manage to get on the Dean's list?
Does anyone know if the laundry in David Russell apartments or any of the self catered en-suite have a washer and dryer or just washer? Thank

Might be worth asking this in the accommodation thread
Original post by Shiv_2
Damn that sucks :frown: I assume there's no exceptions, even if you manage to get on the Dean's list?

Unfortunately not, because they have a set number of places at each of the partner medical schools.
@StAMed2019
Is there enough time to have a part time job as well?
Reply 590

See https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/accommodation/halls/dra/

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 23.17.48.png
Hi, I just wanted to ask if anybody has had any emails from the uni? I dont want to have missed an email and I haven't heard anything since being told that accommodation applications had opened
Anyone already done their SAAS application? Because you study over 2 uni's it's pretty confusing, the course option only has the Bsc which is a 3 yr degree, but obviously we're going on to do MbChb so do we say it's a 6 year degree over 2 uni's or? Anyone know what we're supposed to put
Reply 593
Have any of you received an e-mail with details about setting up an account on MySaint? Should be in an acceptance email, but don't think we have seen anything. We also did not get the letter and booklet the offer letter said would come. :frown:
Original post by TCL
Have any of you received an e-mail with details about setting up an account on MySaint? Should be in an acceptance email, but don't think we have seen anything. We also did not get the letter and booklet the offer letter said would come. :frown:

I haven’t heard anything from the university
Just to remind our users, off site social media group chats are not allowed on TSR.

Please do not post them and advertise them and continue your discussion in the forums - this thread and the offer holders' thread are made for this.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Reply 596
Nice to see that St A has zoomed up the rankings in The Complete University Guide for medicine. They are now joint top for student satisfaction in medicine.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/medicine?sortby=student-satisfaction

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending