Miscruft
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey Guys,
I'm a student (England) in my final year of A-Levels and am planning on reading Medicine at Uni. St Andrew's looks amazing and is one of my top choices. I can't seem to find much info elsewhere regarding their approach to UCAT scores and interview, so I guess I'll dump my stats here:

GCSEs: 10A*s, 1 A
A-Level: 2A*s, 1 A (Predicted)
UCAT: 2660, Band 3
Work Experience: 1 Week in a General Hospital, 1 Week Shadowing a Medical Oncology Team
Volunteering: Have been volunteering at a Hospital since the start of Summer

I'm aware that my UCAT score isn't stellar, I was wondering if anyone has any insight into how St Andrew's use the UCAT and whether my score alongside my Academics will be enough to get me an interview.

Thanks in advance!
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Miscruft)
Hey Guys,
I'm a student (England) in my final year of A-Levels and am planning on reading Medicine at Uni. St Andrew's looks amazing and is one of my top choices. I can't seem to find much info elsewhere regarding their approach to UCAT scores and interview, so I guess I'll dump my stats here:

GCSEs: 10A*s, 1 A
A-Level: 2A*s, 1 A (Predicted)
UCAT: 2660, Band 3
Work Experience: 1 Week in a General Hospital, 1 Week Shadowing a Medical Oncology Team
Volunteering: Have been volunteering at a Hospital since the start of Summer

I'm aware that my UCAT score isn't stellar, I was wondering if anyone has any insight into how St Andrew's use the UCAT and whether my score alongside my Academics will be enough to get me an interview.

Thanks in advance!
Have you read the rst of the thread? All this info is documented on here, including past cut offs, if you just read it
Miscruft
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Have you read the rst of the thread? All this info is documented on here, including past cut offs, if you just read it
More a holistic question regarding how much emphasis they place on UCAT in comparison to Academics i.e. do they give credit for strong academics like Barts and Notts or is it just if you meet the minimum requirements it's then all about your UCAT score. Thanks for directing me to the cut offs though, didn't spot those!
MechDoge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
More a holistic question regarding how much emphasis they place on UCAT in comparison to Academics i.e. do they give credit for strong academics like Barts and Notts or is it just if you meet the minimum requirements it's then all about your UCAT score. Thanks for directing me to the cut offs though, didn't spot those!
"The School has a limited number of interview places (around 400). To be considered for interview, applicants must have:

a strong academic record
a positive reference
relevant, medically related work experience (see "qualities and experience" on the entry requirements page).
Applicants meeting these requirements will be ranked on the basis of their UCAT global score. Those ranked in the top 400 or so will be given an interview. Decisions to make offers will be based on the interview score and the ‘route’ to which applicants have applied. Where applicants have the same interview score, the global UCAT score will be used to differentiate between them."
TCL
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
They don't score anything. You need to meet the academic requirements and show you have the experience they require in your PS; the admissions lady at the open day said they were hurdles and once you have crossed them the academics are not regarded.

All the applicants who meet the requirements will be ranked using UCAT score and that will be used to decide who is invited to interview. She said there would be around 400 interviews for 70 English route and 62 Scottish route places.

There are 6 MMIs at interview and SJT is a virtual 7th MMI station so you will lose a bit there.
Last edited by TCL; 4 months ago
Miscruft
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
They don't score anything. You need to meet the academic requirements and have show you have the experience they require; the admissions lady at the open day said they were hurdles and once you have crossed them the academics are not regarded.

All the applicants who meet the requirements will be ranked using UCAT score and that will be used to decide who is invited to interview. She said there would be around 400 interviews for 70 English route and 62 Scottish route places.

There are 6 MMIs at interview and SJT is a virtual 7th MMI station so you will lose a bit there.
This is really helpful, thanks for the info man.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
This is really helpful, thanks for the info ma'am.
Have fixed your post for you
_karen_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Can anyone confirm if St Andrews is taking international students for medicine this year?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by _karen_)
Can anyone confirm if St Andrews is taking international students for medicine this year?
Yes, St Andrews. Contact them and ask
Fezza101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi everyone. I’m an English applicant applying for the Scottish route because I love Glasgow and Edinburgh, however I’ve tried looking on their website and the companion medical school’s website about how student (once starting the course) are matched to their second medical school. I know that you have to apply in the 2nd year etc, but their is little information about what each different medical school is looking for/how they select people. Thank you.
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Fezza101)
Hi everyone. I’m an English applicant applying for the Scottish route because I love Glasgow and Edinburgh, however I’ve tried looking on their website and the companion medical school’s website about how student (once starting the course) are matched to their second medical school. I know that you have to apply in the 2nd year etc, but their is little information about what each different medical school is looking for/how they select people. Thank you.
They said that it depends on second year exams. The people with best results get first choice. It is difficult to move within the pathways - if you are England it is very difficult to switch to Scotland.
Fezza101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
They said that it depends on second year exams. The people with best results get first choice. It is difficult to move within the pathways - if you are England it is very difficult to switch to Scotland.
Hi thank you for your response. I think you may have misunderstood me (my fault) I meant that I live currently in England but for St. Andrews I applied through the Scottish route. So if given a place I will be going through the Scottish route not English, there would be no switching pathways, I hope that makes more sense.
SamAdler
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Fezza101)
Hi thank you for your response. I think you may have misunderstood me (my fault) I meant that I live currently in England but for St. Andrews I applied through the Scottish route. So if given a place I will be going through the Scottish route not English, there would be no switching pathways, I hope that makes more sense.
Hi,
I was at the open day and they made it sound like its very difficult and unlikely that you would be able to change routes once you've applied but still possible. For the Scottish route about 1/2 of the people go to Glasgow 1/3 go to Edinburgh and the rest are split between Aberdeen and Dundee. I have also spoken to some St Andrews graduates and they said that almost everyone will get to go where they want (especially in the Scottish route, as in England Barts is very competitive to get into). The best scoring people in 2nd year will get to choose first but if you would want to go to Glasgow or Edinburgh it sounds like you'd be able to.
Hope this helps,
Sam
MAD103
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Name:  Screenshot_20191011-145754_Chrome-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 137
Size:  90.8 KB

I've applied to st andrews for A100 medicine
i have done GCSE combined science and got 7,7 found this on their website and it's not very clear.
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by MAD103)
Name:  Screenshot_20191011-145754_Chrome-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 137
Size:  90.8 KB

I've applied to st andrews for A100 medicine
i have done GCSE combined science and got 7,7 found this on their website and it's not very clear.
I think they are referring to the fact that a B in Biology GCSE is required if you are not offering A level or AS Biology. If you call or e-mail with details I am sure they will explain. If you are doing A level Biology it should be fine.
Cuckcoo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I just got an invite to interview!!!!!!!!
5thchild
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Cuckcoo)
I just got an invite to interview!!!!!!!!
Well done. The first of 4 invites hopefully.
bingbong24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Same, when's yours?
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by bingbong24)
Same, when's yours?
Congratulations, Scottish or RUK? Can people getting interviews post UCAT score - we can try to work out the cut-off.
bingbong24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks, I'm a RUK applicant. My UCAT was 3080 Band 2
Last edited by bingbong24; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (478)
66.48%
No (241)
33.52%

Watched Threads