TheOneAmr
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Sapje321)
Hey all, I'm a current 3rd year GEM at Swansea and happy to answer any questions that I feasibly can and offer advice if wanted.
Can I ask what your gamsat score was and what was the interview experience like? I have a decent gamsat score of 65, i'm hoping I'll get an interview, do you have any advice for how I can prep for it?
Advertisement
Trepane
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TheOneAmr)
Can I ask what your gamsat score was and what was the interview experience like? I have a decent gamsat score of 65, i'm hoping I'll get an interview, do you have any advice for how I can prep for it?
Swansea gamsat cut-off tends to fluctuate between the high 50s and early 60s in recent years (say 57-61) so that is a promising score!

The interview is an all day affair. You sit a short SJT session in the morning (about 20-30mins long) and then have two panel interviews in the afternoon. Pair of interviewers in each interview and they will go through the usual things like your commitment to medicine, comm skills etc and they will have your personal statement as well to discuss. I think they have a bit more info about the assessment centre on the Swansea website.

The Swansea interview is actually a really nice and chilled affair considering how stressed the situation is. Admission staff are lovely and want you to succeed, there will be friendly current medical students to give you a tour of one of the main hospitals in Swansea and to stick around with you as you wait for your interviews and they usually throw in a free footlong sub meal for lunch (don't be going for anything too messy!). It was actually the friendliest interview I had during my application! It can be a long day though so if you are being interviewed last it is important that you try and not get to worked up/anxious as there can be a long wait. Just try to be confident and genuine and not over rehearsed and you'll be fine!
Donkeykong96
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Anyone know when Swansea release their cut-off scores?
Advertisement
WorthlessPeon
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Also wondering
RedStar24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Didn't do as well in the GAMSAT as I had hoped, I got 54 (poor S2 score bringing down the total ). What do we think the odds of an interview will be?
Advertisement
Stanimirr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by RedStar24)
Didn't do as well in the GAMSAT as I had hoped, I got 54 (poor S2 score bringing down the total ). What do we think the odds of an interview will be?
Sorry to hear was this your first time sitting it? When I did it in March, I scored 49 in SIII which meant I couldn't use that score so had to resit in September - it is so expensive though

Unfortunately, I think 54 might be a little on the low side for Swansea ... their scores seem to stay in the high 50s-low 60s. Have you applied anywhere else?
RedStar24
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Stanimirr)
Sorry to hear was this your first time sitting it? When I did it in March, I scored 49 in SIII which meant I couldn't use that score so had to resit in September - it is so expensive though

Unfortunately, I think 54 might be a little on the low side for Swansea ... their scores seem to stay in the high 50s-low 60s. Have you applied anywhere else?
This is what I'm dreading, I thought it's probably just too low! Out of the uni's I've applied to Swansea seems to have the lowest cut off and the one I want!

Second time sitting the GAMSAT, it's S2 that has got me each time! I felt good prep wise for S2 this time around and then this years theme just threw me I think! If I don't make the cut this year I think one more go and re-sit in March
Advertisement
Donkeykong96
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This is what I'm dreading, I thought it's probably just too low! Out of the uni's I've applied to Swansea seems to have the lowest cut off and the one I want!

Second time sitting the GAMSAT, it's S2 that has got me each time! I felt good prep wise for S2 this time around and then this years theme just threw me I think! If I don't make the cut this year I think one more go and re-sit in March
What was your structure for S2?
Stanimirr
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Btw, I just spoke to Swansea (cos they had asked me for some additional info) and when I asked the lady about interview invites, she said they 'would definitely be sent after Christmas' - just thought you lot might want to know too
Advertisement
RedStar24
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Donkeykong96)
What was your structure for S2?
Basic structure really; Introduction - Argument (For & Against and Example) - Conclusion

However my arguments weren't very good for the tax theme, got stuck here
rsk053096
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Basic structure really; Introduction - Argument (For & Against and Example) - Conclusion

However my arguments weren't very good for the tax theme, got stuck here
My S2 also brought my total score down this time Last year it was S3 and this time I got a 54 in S2 =(((
Advertisement
rsk053096
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Does Swansea set cut off for each section of GAMSAT or just overall score? Plymouth seems to set for each section, and my S2 score only was lower than their cut-off
Sapje321
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TheOneAmr)
My score in the year I applied was 65 and the cutoff that year was 58 if I remember correctly. 65 is a strong score and quite likely to get you an interview, but I obviously don't know the cutoff.

In response to some of the other questions, the interviews are given out based on overall GAMSAT score and the S3 minimum requirement, provided that hasn't drastically changed this year (which I doubt).

They recently started a "Doctors for Wales" plan too which meant some welsh domiciled applicants got interviews with GAMSAT scores below the cutoff. Not sure as to the details of that since the website is quite scarce in info about it.

Just bear in mind that interview invites are solely based off overall GAMSAT score and things like personal statements only come into play during the interviews themselves.

Disclaimer: I'm just a student, and this is what the case has been in the past. It's unlikely to change drastically but I can't guarantee it won't.
Last edited by Sapje321; 2 months ago
Advertisement
Camerooni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Cut off score was 59 this year
zain729
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Omg finally haha
Stanimirr
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Camerooni)
Cut off score was 59 this year
yep! Just got the invitation to selection centre email. Anyone else got it?
ej3352
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Rejected at 58! Was the wild card so not so fussed. Good luck everyone else 😊
Advertisement
TheOneAmr
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
just got an invite at 65
Aimes20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Rejected at 61. Very dissapointed. Anyone in a similar situation?
zain729
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Aimes20)
Rejected at 61. Very dissapointed. Anyone in a similar situation?
Hows that possible did you meet the cut off for section 3?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads