The Student Room Group

UCL A100 2020 Entry

Welcome to the UCL A100 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click:https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/

For entry requirements click: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/2020-entry

UCL A100 Medicine Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6245224

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I am graduate student and I would like to apply for medicine at UCL, do you have any idea how the scholarship is working? Like according to which criteria they select the students and how difficult it is to get one? I am asking this because I have left one year of student finance and I would like to take medicine as undergraduate but I have problem understanding how will I pay for that. Thank you so much!
Reply 2
Hi : for anyone interested to apply for medicine at UCL, I have received a reply under FOI. I hope it will help. Is it that easy to achieve this BMAT score ?

1. How many students where offered a place with just one A*.

74 applicants received a place with 'A' levels including one A* result.

2. What is the BMAT score for the three sections, common to all students who were offered a place.

Average BMAT score for students that receive an offer – 5.1, 5.3, 3.5A.

The lowest score in the BMAT was (these were not achieved by the same candidate):

Section 1 – 3.1
Section 2 – 3.2
Section 3 (essay content) – 2.5
Section 3 (standard of English) – B

The highest score in the BMAT was (these were not achieved by the same candidate):

Section 1 – 8.9
Section 2 – 9.0
Section 3 (essay content) – 5.0
Section 3 (standard of English) – A
Original post by Dalilasophia
Hi, I am graduate student and I would like to apply for medicine at UCL, do you have any idea how the scholarship is working? Like according to which criteria they select the students and how difficult it is to get one? I am asking this because I have left one year of student finance and I would like to take medicine as undergraduate but I have problem understanding how will I pay for that. Thank you so much!
My profile-
GCSE- fours 8's 1A 2B 1C
A level Predicted 3A* 1A
work experience
-one clinical attachment
- one administrative attachment
Voluntary work in india
- CPR and lifesaving course
is that enough im probably going to get 4A* in a level but will it make a difference
Reply 4
Original post by shivsaransh
My profile-
GCSE- fours 8's 1A 2B 1C
A level Predicted 3A* 1A
work experience
-one clinical attachment
Voluntary work in india
is that enough im probably going to get 4A* in a level but will it make a difference

Your GCSEs aren't the strongest I've seen. Make sure you do the UKCAT and BMAT, you'll want to aim for 750 in UKCAT and high 5s in the BMAT for the strongest chance. What work experience you do isn't important, it's how you write about it. Really draw from your experiences and explain how it affected your view on medicine. Good luck!
Original post by Figz
Your GCSEs aren't the strongest I've seen. Make sure you do the UKCAT and BMAT, you'll want to aim for 750 in UKCAT and high 5s in the BMAT for the strongest chance. What work experience you do isn't important, it's how you write about it. Really draw from your experiences and explain how it affected your view on medicine. Good luck!

but is there actually any chance even with high BMAT and Ucat score that i could get in?
I realise my GCSE's are pretty bad but will that affect my application tremendously?
Reply 6
but is there actually any chance even with high BMAT and Ucat score that i could get in?
I realise my GCSE's are pretty bad but will that affect my application tremendously?

I would say aim for a high BMAT and you have a good chance of getting an interview. From how my application went it felt like they focused more on my personal statement rather than my qualifications. Once you've gotten the interview then that's all that counts for the final offer
Reply 7

To be honest, you are already behind the 8 ball! Not only are your GCSE's on the weak side, you only have 8 GCSE's. Most people have 10+ GCSE's and have around 8 A*s and 9's. So yes, the rest of your application will have to be very strong. A very good PS and a high BMAT score, in the 6's to be safe, just to get an interview.
My profile-
GCSE- fours 8's 1A 2B 1C
A level Predicted 3A* 1A
work experience
-one clinical attachment
Voluntary work in india

ucl dont look at gcses as long as you meet the basic requirements
ignore all other advice youve gotten regarding them for ucl youre fine
Reply 9

The point of the thread is to give people realistic advice if they ask for it. You say UCL don't look at GCSE's, well they do, even if they say they don't. All Univerities do and I've yet to see anyone with the minimum requirement get in, especially at UCL. If they do, a lot of other factors would have had to have been taken into account, and as such is very rare.

Below are 2 links to a FOI request for undergraduate admissions statistics to the A100 Medicine course at UCL Medical School from the admission cycles for 2016 and 2017 entry.

The first link relates to the Mean number of predicted A level results by grade for those invited to interview and those not invited for interview. Also on the same page is the Mean number of GCSE results by grade for those invited to interview and those not invited for interview. The average or mean number for those invited for interview in those 2 years had 8 or more A*s. And those NOT invited for interview had roughly 5 A*s. That's not to say those with less didn't get interviews, because the rest of your application would have to be very strong, i.e. reference, personal statement (PS) and most importantly your BMAT score.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/453496/response/1099439/attach/2/FOI%20018%20030.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

The second link relates to the Aggregate BMAT scores required for Offer holders who undertook A Levels or the IB and those who were unsuccessful. In both years the minimum score required for an offer holder was in the low 5's for sections 1 and 2 and above 3 in section 3. So anything from the mid 5's and above you should be okay. But bare in mind your weak GCSE's (in relation to medicine applicant's), getting in the 6's and above would likely put you in good stead, to getting an interview.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/453496/response/1099439/attach/3/FOI%20018%20030%20BMAT%20scores.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
Hope that Helps!
Original post by Jtohunt
The point of the thread is to give people realistic advice if they ask for it. You say UCL don't look at GCSE's, well they do, even if they say they don't. All Univerities do and I've yet to see anyone with the minimum requirement get in, especially at UCL. If they do, a lot of other factors would have had to have been taken into account, and as such is very rare.

Below are 2 links to a FOI request for undergraduate admissions statistics to the A100 Medicine course at UCL Medical School from the admission cycles for 2016 and 2017 entry.

The first link relates to the Mean number of predicted A level results by grade for those invited to interview and those not invited for interview. Also on the same page is the Mean number of GCSE results by grade for those invited to interview and those not invited for interview. The average or mean number for those invited for interview in those 2 years had 8 or more A*s. And those NOT invited for interview had roughly 5 A*s. That's not to say those with less didn't get interviews, because the rest of your application would have to be very strong, i.e. reference, personal statement (PS) and most importantly your BMAT score.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/453496/response/1099439/attach/2/FOI%20018%20030.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

The second link relates to the Aggregate BMAT scores required for Offer holders who undertook A Levels or the IB and those who were unsuccessful. In both years the minimum score required for an offer holder was in the low 5's for sections 1 and 2 and above 3 in section 3. So anything from the mid 5's and above you should be okay. But bare in mind your weak GCSE's (in relation to medicine applicant's), getting in the 6's and above would likely put you in good stead, to getting an interview.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/453496/response/1099439/attach/3/FOI%20018%20030%20BMAT%20scores.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

ive literally been told to my face by an admissions officer that they dont but ok mate
Reply 12
That's so interesting because I was told that they did at an open day by a woman in admissions too... seems they need to get their facts straight
Original post by Figz
That's so interesting because I was told that they did at an open day by a woman in admissions too... seems they need to get their facts straight

really? thats so trashy tbh

to stay on the safe side i guess only apply if you a) have good gcses or b) your other stuff can make up for it since @Jtohunt s data seems to signify that

i was told that they dont want to judge you based on your performance from when/before you were 16 as most people tend to do a lot better after that
Reply 14
Yeah that's so true. Like it's literally only for medical type degrees that you need to know it's what you want at 16. My advice would just be to work super hard for the BMAT because they LOVE the BMAT
I hear what your saying, but admissions personnel, will always spout what is in their prospectus or literature. It's their job to do that, and to not put off people applying. Yes GCSE's may not be there main criteria, but that is the same with Oxbridge, who also Spout the minimum number of GCSE grades to get in, being a B in Maths, English etc. But it's no coincidence, that all their offer holders and people who eventually get in, have mad grades at GCSE, usually 10+ A*s and the like. These top universities, will think if you slightly struggled at GCSE (Although 4 A*s at GCSE, to me, is not struggling), they will look at whether you would be able to cope on their respective demanding A100 Medicine courses. Top Universities are always over subscribed with applications from high achievers, so they have the pick of the bunch. It's therefore, not surprising, that most of their cohort intake have near perfect GCSE's.
So having a good set of GCSE's is a good start. Not having strong GCSE's, is also an easy way to eliminate you, if they have to decide between you and another candidate to invite for interview.
Reply 16
Original post by Jtohunt
I hear what your saying, but admissions personnel, will always spout what is in their prospectus or literature. It's their job to do that, and to not put off people applying. Yes GCSE's may not be there main criteria, but that is the same with Oxbridge, who also Spout the minimum number of GCSE grades to get in, being a B in Maths, English etc. But it's no coincidence, that all their offer holders and people who eventually get in, have mad grades at GCSE, usually 10+ A*s and the like. These top universities, will think if you slightly struggled at GCSE (Although 4 A*s at GCSE, to me, is not struggling), they will look at whether you would be able to cope on their respective demanding A100 Medicine courses. Top Universities are always over subscribed with applications from high achievers, so they have the pick of the bunch. It's therefore, not surprising, that most of their cohort intake have near perfect GCSE's.
So having a good set of GCSE's is a good start. Not having strong GCSE's, is also an easy way to eliminate you, if they have to decide between you and another candidate to invite for interview.

That's 100% right there. There's a minimum requirement but everyone knows that bare minimum won't get you very far
tbh I'm not so sure, I found 'A' Levels a lot harder than GCSE's. GCSE's is a cake walk compared to 'A' Levels, especially to get the A's and A*s. Of course I'm a lot more maturer now than I was 2 years ago, but there are much more distractions now that I'm 18. Hormones, social life etc. Discipline to stay focused is a lot harder. So that coupled with A Levels being a much harder course, makes navigating all those things harder.
Original post by Jtohunt

I definitely agree. I would say for any other course gcse aren't thst important as long as you get the minimum..My gcse's were not that strong 3 A*s 4 A's and 3 B's but one of the imperial head of admissions told me that was completely fine (even though I never applied) . I was still able to get onto UCL despite this. However I completely understand that because you are applying to medicine it will be different. 4 level 8's are still great so don't let that think you can't get in. At the end of the day although gcse are semi important your overall score and personal statement is what they are really looking for, so heavily focus on that rather than what you gotten In the past. But I always say Aim big it's good to have 2 aspirational options and the rest as safer options.
So my first question is if an applicant is predicted A*A*A* and another is predicted A*AA will the one with 3A* have an edge or advantage over the other applicant?

And is the A* required in chemistry or biology or can it be in the third subject? It doesn’t mention this in the online prospectus however I have read this on another website which outlined the entry requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest