returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So my first question is if an applicant is predicted A*A*A* and another is predicted A*AA will the one with 3A* have an edge or advantage over the other applicant?

And is the A* required in chemistry or biology or can it be in the third subject? It doesn’t mention this in the online prospectus however I have read this on another website which outlined the entry requirements.
1) This depends on how UCL score applications and if they give extra points for high predictions. Yes, this does give an unfair (but very small) advantage to those with A* predictions. Its why some Unis no longer score applications this way - Bristol now 'passes' Medicine applicants who meet the minimum GCSE/ A level requirements and ranks for interview on UCAT score only. This means that the schools who deliberately over-predict for Medicine can't work the system, and is much fairer to all applicants.

2) Always look at the Uni's own website. This will always be the most accurate about requirements - other websites are unreliable. And if the 3rd subject question isnt answered by info there, phone the Uni and ask.
lawrie123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So my first question is if an applicant is predicted A*A*A* and another is predicted A*AA will the one with 3A* have an edge or advantage over the other applicant?

And is the A* required in chemistry or biology or can it be in the third subject? It doesn’t mention this in the online prospectus however I have read this on another website which outlined the entry requirements.
I know the A* can be in any subject because I got my A* in Art and got an offer.

Last year, the way the system worked was each applicant had their application scored, in terms of BMAT score and personal statement. They could have possibly included GCSE and A Level grades, but I’m not too sure. Then each applicant was ranked according to that score. They’d interview gap year applicants and people who have already achieved their qualifications in December. Then in the new year, they’d start at the top of the list of ranked applicants inviting them for interviews, then kept going down the list until their list until they ran out of interview slots to give in March. Hope this makes sense.

My BMAT score was below average for UCL applicants that year in two sections, so I didn’t get an interview until the end of February, which was quite late. As for whether getting 3A*s would give you an edge, it would be worth phoning or emailing the medical school admissions team. They’re quite helpful if you email and reply within a couple of days in my experience.
:)Esss:)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
1) This depends on how UCL score applications and if they give extra points for high predictions. Yes, this does give an unfair (but very small) advantage to those with A* predictions. Its why some Unis no longer score applications this way - Bristol now 'passes' Medicine applicants who meet the minimum GCSE/ A level requirements and ranks for interview on UCAT score only. This means that the schools who deliberately over-predict for Medicine can't work the system, and is much fairer to all applicants.

2) Always look at the Uni's own website. This will always be the most accurate about requirements - other websites are unreliable. And if the 3rd subject question isnt answered by info there, phone the Uni and ask.
Ah i see.
alright thanks i will call them up and clear it up.
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by lawrie123)
I know the A* can be in any subject because I got my A* in Art and got an offer.

Last year, the way the system worked was each applicant had their application scored, in terms of BMAT score and personal statement. They could have possibly included GCSE and A Level grades, but I’m not too sure. Then each applicant was ranked according to that score. They’d interview gap year applicants and people who have already achieved their qualifications in December. Then in the new year, they’d start at the top of the list of ranked applicants inviting them for interviews, then kept going down the list until their list until they ran out of interview slots to give in March. Hope this makes sense.

My BMAT score was below average for UCL applicants that year in two sections, so I didn’t get an interview until the end of February, which was quite late. As for whether getting 3A*s would give you an edge, it would be worth phoning or emailing the medical school admissions team. They’re quite helpful if you email and reply within a couple of days in my experience.
oh ok that is helpful to know.
do you go UCL now?
lawrie123
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by :)Esss:))
oh ok that is helpful to know.
do you go UCL now?
I start in a couple of weeks
mass63
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
hi. what was your BMAT score and A level/GCSE grades
please.
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by lawrie123)
I start in a couple of weeks
ah ok cool.
yh if you don't mind could you share your BMAT score and any tips.
SxTagal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey I want to put UCL as one of my choices but I have 2 reasons deterring me:
1. It requires a gcse foreign language which I didnt do but they said it isnt disadvantageous to my application as I can do a course in the first year. However is this worth it.
2. Also I will be doing the BMAT for this university... but only this university. Is it worth doing the bmat for only UCL?

Side note: my gcses were 9 A*s and 1 A; my predicted are A*A*AA (A in chem). I hv 6 weeks total of experience at 2 hospitals and a pediatric clinic. I hv tons of extra circulars including an international junior achievement award, pink kangaroo in uk math challenge (intermediate) and silver in senior challenge, 2 years of winning my local science fair with both projects on diabetes, and a lot more. Could anyone also tell me if these are good enough to apply with?
Thanks
Last edited by SxTagal; 5 months ago
lawrie123
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by :)Esss:))
ah ok cool.
yh if you don't mind could you share your BMAT score and any tips.
5.5, 4.4, and 3A. Essay and science section could have been better as you can see, but section 1 is mostly UKCAT-type stuff and since I did quite well in that it was relatively easier than the other stuff. It still requires practice, especially since the UKCAT is computer and BMAT is on paper.

Section 2, I would get your hands on a GCSE Physics CGP if you’re not doing physics this year (assuming you do chem and bio). Since you’re not allowed a calculator, I would strongly recommend practising your mental maths. I remember around the time I was taking my BMAT I didn’t use a calculator in my maths and science lessons so I could practise this. Doing questions under timed conditions also helps for this. No one actually finishes the test properly (most people end up just putting any answer in the last two minutes as it’s multiple choice), it’s mostly actually getting the questions right as to how many questions you can answer, but if you can get questions right quicker, it will give you an advantage.

For section 3, further reading is a good help, mentioning something from the media looks good when someone marks it. If they haven’t changed the system from last year, then you automatically get a 3A from simply answering all the parts of the question. BMAT guides give more information on this. You want to aim for higher than a 3, though, and to do this you need to consider both sides of the question deeply in your answer, something I didn’t properly do, which I saw when I got my essay back during my UCL interview. Try to throw in some points that most people might not think of. Also, reading example essays and examiner reports was very useful for me, also trying to answer past questions in the allotted 30 minutes to see whether I could articulate my ideas in that time with the limited space as well. I found the ISC book useful to use for all the sections.
The woofer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
GCSEs I got 4A* 2A 2B a 6 in English Language and a 7 in English literature. I got 3A* predicted grades and an A* in my EPQ, 4.6 5.2 and 3A in BMAT. I got an interview from Cambridge and an offer from Imperial and UCL. Don’t let people tell u u can’t apply somewhere because of ur GCSEs or will need amazing BMAT scores. The rest of ur application, in my opinion, is far more important.

(Original post by shivsaransh)
My profile-
GCSE- fours 8's 1A 2B 1C
A level Predicted 3A* 1A
work experience
-one clinical attachment
- one administrative attachment
Voluntary work in india
- CPR and lifesaving course
is that enough im probably going to get 4A* in a level but will it make a difference
Jtohunt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by The woofer)
GCSEs I got 4A* 2A 2B a 6 in English Language and a 7 in English literature. I got 3A* predicted grades and an A* in my EPQ, 4.6 5.2 and 3A in BMAT. I got an interview from Cambridge and an offer from Imperial and UCL. Don’t let people tell u u can’t apply somewhere because of ur GCSEs or will need amazing BMAT scores. The rest of ur application, in my opinion, is far more important.
There will always be an anecdotal story, where someone gets in with lower than the average score or scores. Unfortunately, it's not the usual concenus. Other factors may have been taken in your case like you may have been eligible under the widening participation criteria, disadvantaged background, low performing school etc.
The information I posted on the first page at post #10, is testament to that.

But your'e right, don't let people tell u, u can’t apply somewhere because of ur GCSEs or will need amazing BMAT scores. But you must be realistic, and you only have 4 Med school choices, so choose wisely. Choose Med schools that are likely to give you an interview and ultimately an offer, even if it is not a RG University. Remember, it actually doesn't matter where you get in to study medicine, just get in anywhere, because when you graduate and qualify as a doctor no one is going to ask you where you studied and you would likely be in employment within months of finishing if not lined up already.
Most important, choose Medicine courses, that suit your learning style, PBL, CBL, Traditional or Integrated. That will likely influence you, in where to apply.
The woofer
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jtohunt)
There will always be an anecdotal story, where someone gets in with lower than the average score or scores. Unfortunately, it's not the usual concenus. Other factors may have been taken in your case like you may have been eligible under the widening participation criteria, disadvantaged background, low performing school etc.
The information I posted on the first page at post #10, is testament to that.

But your'e right, don't let people tell u, u can’t apply somewhere because of ur GCSEs or will need amazing BMAT scores. But you must be realistic, and you only have 4 Med school choices, so choose wisely. Choose Med schools that are likely to give you an interview and ultimately an offer, even if it is not a RG University. Remember, it actually doesn't matter where you get in to study medicine, just get in anywhere, because when you graduate and qualify as a doctor no one is going to ask you where you studied and you would likely be in employment within months of finishing if not lined up already.
Most important, choose Medicine courses, that suit your learning style, PBL, CBL, Traditional or Integrated. That will likely influence you, in where to apply.
I’m not from a disadvantaged background or underperforming school or college and I’m not eligible for any extra help. Many people get in with below average scores because that’s how averages work. It might be more helpful if they calculated a standard deviation, then they could ask this question on next years stats paper😂
Sherrzz
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I messed up and got BCDD at As levels, with B in maths, C in further maths, and DD in chemistry and physics. My school are predicting me AAB-ABB Which I feel like I can achieve with a lot of hard work. For GCSES I got all 9’s and 8’s, with two 7’s. The course I would love to do at UCL requires AAB. Is there any chance of me applying and getting an offer, or is there no point???
Last edited by Sherrzz; 5 months ago
Jtohunt
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m not from a disadvantaged background or underperforming school or college and I’m not eligible for any extra help. Many people get in with below average scores because that’s how averages work. It might be more helpful if they calculated a standard deviation, then they could ask this question on next years stats paper😂
Then you were one of the anecdotal fortunate successes. Which for yourself is brilliant, but you may have been only one of a handful out of thousands who applied. It still doesn't take away from the fact that the overwhelming majority of offer holders have very strong GCSE's as shown in my FOI example.
But of course nothing should stop you from applying as long as you meet their minimum entry requirement.
The woofer
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Then you were one of the anecdotal fortunate successes. Which for yourself is brilliant, but you may have been only one of a handful out of thousands who applied. It still doesn't take away from the fact that the overwhelming majority of offer holders have very strong GCSE's as shown in my FOI example.
But of course nothing should stop you from applying as long as you meet their minimum entry requirement.
Were you a successful applicant?
Jtohunt
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Were you a successful applicant?
Fortunately I was yes, although, I wasn't at Cambridge, even though I met their entry requirement. I was rejected post interview.
The woofer
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Fortunately I was yes, although, I wasn't at Cambridge, even though I met their entry requirement. I was rejected post interview.
Same here. Will you be starting next week?
Elissamoor123
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi please could someone help me with my application on choosing to apply to ucl and how much of a chance i have... i just did my ucat today and got quite a low score 647.5 avg and sjt band 3 so been quite upset today .... my gcse's aren't amazing with 4' 8s 2 A* 4'A's and 1 6- in English lit.
which is why i am trying to do well in the bmat... Pls can you tell me what i have to get in the bmat to stand a good chance and what i should do for my application. thank you
The woofer
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Elissamoor123)
Hi please could someone help me with my application on choosing to apply to ucl and how much of a chance i have... i just did my ucat today and got quite a low score 647.5 avg and sjt band 3 so been quite upset today .... my gcse's aren't amazing with 4' 8s 2 A* 4'A's and 1 6- in English lit.
which is why i am trying to do well in the bmat... Pls can you tell me what i have to get in the bmat to stand a good chance and what i should do for my application. thank you
I got 625 band 3 in ucat and as I’ve said 4A* 3A and 3B at GCSE. I got 4.6, 5.2 and 3A in BMAT. Got an interview from Cambridge and an offer from UCL and Imperial. As long as u have a great personal statement, predicted grades and references, you should be fine.
Elissamoor123
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I got 625 band 3 in ucat and as I’ve said 4A* 3A and 3B at GCSE. I got 4.6, 5.2 and 3A in BMAT. Got an interview from Cambridge and an offer from UCL and Imperial. As long as u have a great personal statement, predicted grades and references, you should be fine.
thank you for replying and giving me some confidence, but if you dont mind me asking are you a contextualised student, what extra curricular activities did you talk about about, my predicted grades are A* AA and not sure about epq yet... what bmat score do you think will put me in a good position.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (420)
67.42%
No (203)
32.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed