Elissamoor123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by The woofer)
I got 625 band 3 in ucat and as I’ve said 4A* 3A and 3B at GCSE. I got 4.6, 5.2 and 3A in BMAT. Got an interview from Cambridge and an offer from UCL and Imperial. As long as u have a great personal statement, predicted grades and references, you should be fine.
also what was your 4th option for medicine aswell
shatha1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
GCSEs I got 4A* 2A 2B a 6 in English Language and a 7 in English literature. I got 3A* predicted grades and an A* in my EPQ, 4.6 5.2 and 3A in BMAT. I got an interview from Cambridge and an offer from Imperial and UCL. Don’t let people tell u u can’t apply somewhere because of ur GCSEs or will need amazing BMAT scores. The rest of ur application, in my opinion, is far more important.
if you don't mind me asking, which college did you apply for at Cambridge? and do you know if any colleges are more lenient than others?
SxTagal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey everyone
These are my scores so far
UCAT: 2800 (700 average)
Predicted Alevel grades: A*A*AA
GCSEs: 9 A*s and 1 A
Work experience: 1 week in surgery ward, 1 week in neuro medicine/surgery and 4 weeks at pediatric clinic
Other things in my PS: winning science fair twice, international junior achievement award, duke of Edinburgh silver award, etc

Do you think I'm competitive enough?
What would you say I should aim for in my BMAT?
Thanks!
mass63
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
you should aim for high 5 for S1 and S2 and 3 or more in section 3.
username2975726
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SxTagal)
Hey everyone
Work experience: 1 week in surgery ward, 1 week in neuro medicine/surgery and 4 weeks at pediatric clinic
Other things in my PS: winning science fair twice, international junior achievement award, duke of Edinburgh silver award, etc

Thanks!
GCSES are fine.
PS is really important, and you have some good stuff, but it's all about how you write it in all honesty.
Your required BMAT score really depends on how good your PS is. If its great then an average/below average BMAT should get you an interview, if your PS is pretty meh then you will need a pretty solid BMAT score.
username2975726
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by lawrie123)
5.5, 4.4, and 3A. Essay and science section could have been better as you can see, but section 1 is mostly UKCAT-type stuff and since I did quite well in that it was relatively easier than the other stuff. It still requires practice, especially since the UKCAT is computer and BMAT is on paper.

Section 2, I would get your hands on a GCSE Physics CGP if you’re not doing physics this year (assuming you do chem and bio). Since you’re not allowed a calculator, I would strongly recommend practising your mental maths. I remember around the time I was taking my BMAT I didn’t use a calculator in my maths and science lessons so I could practise this. Doing questions under timed conditions also helps for this. No one actually finishes the test properly (most people end up just putting any answer in the last two minutes as it’s multiple choice), it’s mostly actually getting the questions right as to how many questions you can answer, but if you can get questions right quicker, it will give you an advantage.

For section 3, further reading is a good help, mentioning something from the media looks good when someone marks it. If they haven’t changed the system from last year, then you automatically get a 3A from simply answering all the parts of the question. BMAT guides give more information on this. You want to aim for higher than a 3, though, and to do this you need to consider both sides of the question deeply in your answer, something I didn’t properly do, which I saw when I got my essay back during my UCL interview. Try to throw in some points that most people might not think of. Also, reading example essays and examiner reports was very useful for me, also trying to answer past questions in the allotted 30 minutes to see whether I could articulate my ideas in that time with the limited space as well. I found the ISC book useful to use for all the sections.
just for reference:

i got 4.6, 4, 3A and still scraped my way in. i know im stupid af but the PS really does help. 8A* and 2A at GCSE btw
iamthedude
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I got 625 band 3 in ucat and as I’ve said 4A* 3A and 3B at GCSE. I got 4.6, 5.2 and 3A in BMAT. Got an interview from Cambridge and an offer from UCL and Imperial. As long as u have a great personal statement, predicted grades and references, you should be fine.
Hi
If you don't mind, I would like to ask you for a piece of advice since you have been through it. I am a UK student who got 6.5 in section 1 and 7.0 in section 2 in the BMAT this year, which I am very happy with. I have only A*'s at GCSE and A*'s predicted at A levels. The problem is that for section 3 of the BMAT I got 3.5C. I have no clue how it happened. In your opinion, do you think having gotten a C means I will be automatically rejected pre-interview? Or if they give everything a different weight, I might still have a chance?
Thanks a lot for your help
Jtohunt
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by iamthedude)
Hi
If you don't mind, I would like to ask you for a piece of advice since you have been through it. I am a UK student who got 6.5 in section 1 and 7.0 in section 2 in the BMAT this year, which I am very happy with. I have only A*'s at GCSE and A*'s predicted at A levels. The problem is that for section 3 of the BMAT I got 3.5C. I have no clue how it happened. In your opinion, do you think having gotten a C means I will be automatically rejected pre-interview? Or if they give everything a different weight, I might still have a chance?
Thanks a lot for your help
No you will be fine. Your stats are brilliant. A '3' is average in section 3 of the BMAT. You will likely get an interview, then it will be down to your interview, whether you get an offer. But so far, you are doing great. I got a 3.5 in section 3 myself and my section 1 and 2 scores were much lower than yours, I got mid and high 5's, and I still managed to get a place.
You will be fine.:thumbsup:
iamthedude
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Jtohunt)
No you will be fine. Your stats are brilliant. A '3' is average in section 3 of the BMAT. You will likely get an interview, then it will be down to your interview, whether you get an offer. But so far, you are doing great. I got a 3.5 in section 3 myself and my section 1 and 2 scores were much lower than yours, I got mid and high 5's, and I still managed to get a place.
You will be fine.:thumbsup:
Thanks a lot. So you think they won't care too much about the English letter grade?
Jtohunt
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by iamthedude)
Thanks a lot. So you think they won't care too much about the English letter grade?
No, unless you got an 'E' letter grade. A 'C' letter grade in the BMAT marking criteria is as follows:-

Band C - Reasonably clear use of English. There may be some weakness in the effectiveness of the English.

reasonably fluent/not difficult to read
simple/unambiguous sentence structure
fair range and appropriate use of vocabulary
acceptable grammar
reasonable spelling and punctuation
some slips/errors

So as you can see you will be fine. Here is the complete marking criteria for Section 3 of the BMAT.

https://www.admissionstesting.org/Im...g-criteria.pdf

Hope that helps!
iamthedude
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
T

(Original post by Jtohunt)
No, unless you got an 'E' letter grade. A 'C' letter grade in the BMAT marking criteria is as follows:-

Band C - Reasonably clear use of English. There may be some weakness in the effectiveness of the English.

reasonably fluent/not difficult to read
simple/unambiguous sentence structure
fair range and appropriate use of vocabulary
acceptable grammar
reasonable spelling and punctuation
some slips/errors

So as you can see you will be fine. Here is the complete marking criteria for Section 3 of the BMAT.

https://www.admissionstesting.org/Im...g-criteria.pdf

Hope that helps!
Thanks so much
SxTagal
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey, would it be too much to ask for a copy of your personal statement if you are comfortable with sharing? I'm really struggling with making mine
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey, would it be too much to ask for a copy of your personal statement if you are comfortable with sharing? I'm really struggling with making mine
If they are not happy sharing, there's a whole bank here on TSR: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...nal-statements

And of course, TSR offers a free secure PS review service for your final draft: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4237154
not_XIX_forever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Just wanted to wish everyone good luck for their application to UCL!
This was my dream uni when I applied last year

And know that a low BMAT is not the end of the world - I got 4.6, 4.0, 3A and I still got an offer!
Almost everyone who gets interviewed will get an offer.

More importantly - focus on getting your grades! (I wish I had :/)
IsMo987
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey everyone

Thanks!
Hey what is the international junior achievement award
IsMo987
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey everyone

Thanks!
Hey where did u do your work experience- which hospital ??
And how did you find it
SxTagal
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by IsMo987)
Hey what is the international junior achievement award
Junior achievement is an organisation that allows for a group of students to become entrepreneurs and learn how to operate a business. For 1 year, a company sponsors (in my case 11 students) with the facilities to make products and have weekly meetings. I was VP of finance in mine so I learned how to keep financial records and stuff. My company won the company of the year award in my country so we went to the Americas region competition and won 1st there also. A really good opportunity to learn leadership and communication skills but I'm not sure if they operate in the UK
thepsychoscorpio
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
anyone already done their BMAT?
medic.1621
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have always been set on UCL but I think my BMAT has let me down. 4.7 5.1 2.5A. I am really worried that my below-average essay will prevent me from getting an interview. At GCSE I got 9 9's and a 7. I have A*A*A* predicted and a fairly good statement and reference. Does anyone know if my section 3 in BMAT will be a huge disadvantage?
Elissamoor123
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by medic.1621)
I have always been set on UCL but I think my BMAT has let me down. 4.7 5.1 2.5A. I am really worried that my below-average essay will prevent me from getting an interview. At GCSE I got 9 9's and a 7. I have A*A*A* predicted and a fairly good statement and reference. Does anyone know if my section 3 in BMAT will be a huge disadvantage?
no, they look at everything holistically even if ur BMAT is not that strong your GCSE's are excellent! I have a friend who got the same bmat as you and has a lower GCSE profile and still got in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (431)
67.77%
No (205)
32.23%

Watched Threads