Is my GCSE S+L speech okay? Is there any improvements?

Watch
username3869000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm aiming for a distinction and the speech has to be 5 mins long. :/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Intro)
Imagine your first pet, you would’ve done anything to protect it, right? Now imagine your first pet being abused, beaten to death or blinded, poisoned or killed for our so-called benefit – now it doesn’t sound so right does it?
(Domestic Violence)
Every day, countless cats, dogs and other animals suffer and die at the hands of the very people who are supposed to care for and protect them - RSPCA inspectors investigate more than 130,700 complaints of cruelty and neglect every year as many owners inflict physical violence, emotional abuse and life-threatening neglect on their pets. Is this how reality should be?
It is shown in the media how dogs are ‘man’s best friend’ – but are they really? RSPCA cruelty statistics reveal that dogs are the most abused pet in the UK at 56.7% of animal abuse being towards dogs. A total of 81,146 cruelty investigations against dogs were investigated last year, more than double the number against cats.
Many people still abuse their pets in the UK – some leaving them to rot in dumpsters and some just neglecting them to death - how do they keep getting away with it?
The bitter justice system is the reason why.
(Justice System)
Currently, prison sentences for animal cruelty in England and Wales are the lowest in Europe. In France the maximum is two years and in Germany it is three whilst most criminals in the UK only receive a maximum of six months for animal cruelty - they only receive a slap on the wrist compared to the other countries.
There was an outrage when the abuse Andrew and Daniel Frankish subjected to a bulldog became public. The brothers had repeatedly stamped on the dog and thrown it down stairs. Consequently, the dog became paralysed in the back legs and was eventually put down. They were only given a suspended sentence. Even if they had been jailed, the maximum prison sentence they could have faced was six months - meaning they would be released in just three months. Can this possibly be justified? No, this CAN’T go on any longer.
This is also shown because between 2013 and 2015 more than 3,000 people in England and Wales were convicted of animal cruelty but just 7% received jail terms. Do YOU think this is acceptable?
(Testing Abuse)
When you think of animal abuse, you may just think of animals being physically abused or neglected, but this is just a small percentage of animal abuse. Many animals such as rats, mice, rabbits and guinea pigs are used in testing cosmetics, medicine and are used in the most horrific ‘experiments.
In these experiments, chemicals are applied to or injected into animals’ skin or forced down their throats by a tube to check for side effects such as vomiting, tremors, organ failure, paralysis and even death. These animals suffer from painful skin and eye tests and serious toxicity tests in which they are given huge doses of chemicals, causing them appalling suffering and death, even though reliable non-animal methods exist for many of these tests.
Tests such as these can last for months or even the animal’s entire lifespan, who are given these chemicals every day. Some experimenters even force-feed chemicals to pregnant animals to see if the substances will cause their offspring to be born with abnormalities or even to die. Almost 2,500 animals may be used in a single reproductive toxicity test for just one chemical. Why does no one seem to care that this is happening?
Imagine YOU were the one being tested on, imagine YOUR skin being torn off whilst still alive, imagine YOUR arms and legs being ripped off whilst still conscious and imagine YOURSELF being burnt alive just to satisfy another species that won’t benefit your own – doesn’t sound nice does it?
Why should we justify animal testing when the animals we are testing on live and breathe like us and have feelings and hearts like we do too?
(Conclusion)
With these arguments discussed, I ask you to decide – do you think this is fair? There is still hope as many companies are trying to make a difference. Companies such as LUSH, Anastasia Beverly Hills and The Body Shop are all anti animal testing. However, many popular worldwide brands such as Maybelline, Revlon and Rimmel London still refuse to change their ways and continue to test on animals.
We need to stop this.
We need to help give animals the voices they don’t have.
mez_merising
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
looks good, as long as you can memorise it all and perform it without sounding too robotic and you can answer a couple q's around the topic, you should be fine
username3869000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
thanks ans i have a good memory so i hope i'll do well
(Original post by mez_merising)
looks good, as long as you can memorise it all and perform it without sounding too robotic and you can answer a couple q's around the topic, you should be fine
username4538836
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The content of the speech really doesn't matter. It is how you actually perform it that matters.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I spoke ad lib and got a distinction for my speech. Chill lol, it's fine.
Davy611
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, that's pretty good. As stated above, delivery is key. Point and make eye contact with different people for the YOU and YOURSELF bits.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads