Trump meets Kim at the DMZ and offers him a Washington visit Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Trump has been having a hard time - he has slipped in the polls and his obvious weakness abroad (he has failed to curb China and his son-in-law Jared's ridiculous Middle East initiative has been widely ridiculed) - so he has returned to Korean issues, claiming another victory in the talks with Kim, which have actually been a total failure thus far.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48814975

So far Trump's main achievement has been to legitimise the regime in North Korea by giving away photo opportunities in return for nothing. Now he is apparently going to go the whole hog and invite the charming DPRK leader on a state visit to DC.

The North Korean regime is one of the worst in the world - they have hundreds of thousands of pitifully mistreated forced labourers and political prisoners held in camps, where they are routinely tortured in the most horrible and cruel ways. This is the leadership that Trump has decided to make use of to boost his electoral chances and portray himself as a successful negotiator.

For the North Korea regime, it is yet another win in a long series of wins against the US and the West, whom it regularly trolls with all kinds of dire threats and in return is regularly capitulated to.

A sad day for human rights and for the people of Korea.

The reality of having a self-serving narcissistic playboy as President of the US.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
North Korea is an open-air prison camp. A weird, twisted regime where the notion of human rights has become alien.

I'm not sure any of the engagement we have had with North Korea so far has helped even in the slightest. Trump's overtures might, at least, break some of the deadlock and encourage some progress.

I'm by no means sure if that will be the case. But I am completely exhausted with the lack of change that international action has made. Assuming we rule out invasion - and it was beginning to look like the only option that would achieve anything - actual engagement and encouragement sounds like something that at least has a possibility of paying off in the future.
Bluefield0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
"So far Trump's main achievement has been to legitimise the regime in North Korea by giving away photo opportunities in return for nothing. Now he is apparently going to go the whole hog and invite the charming DPRK leader on a state visit to DC."

This isn't a real argument, you're being brainwashed by the media. The whole "legitimize the regime" argument isn't an actual thing; it's just made up manipulative wordplay. Absolutely nothing changed regarding who was recognized as the leader of the Nroth Korean state. The country was already recognized, as was the government.

It wasn't a "photo op" either, this is a profoundly disingenuous argument, again invented by the media. It was a massive step forward and something that has never happened between the two countries. Trump successfully cooled hostilities and dramatic decreased the chance of war. That's a success by any reasonable standard.

The narratives you see in media often aren't true, they are constructed to be emotionally manipulative but don't actually have much of a logical foot to stand on.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
I'm not sure any of the engagement we have had with North Korea so far has helped even in the slightest. Trump's overtures might, at least, break some of the deadlock and encourage some progress.
Progress to what though?
The North Koreans arent going to stop their missile or nuclear programs theyd be utterly insane to. And the idea of reunification died quite a long time ago, well at least on the terms acceptable to Seoul. I'm sure Pyongyang would happily annex the south if it could.
Palmyra
Report 2 weeks ago
North Korea doesn't really pose a threat to non-Koreans (unless it's attacked) so I think phased unification + huge investment + gradual denuclearisation is the only way forward.

I don't see how staving North Koreas via economic warfare will help anything.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
offers him a Washington visit
Imagine if this is the final play, the conclusion of his long game. He acts like a moron throughout the campaign, he cosies up to Kim, he makes concessions and the Koreans go along with this bizarre friendship because Trump's obviously a simpleton that's increasing their legitimacy on the world stage. Trump makes history as the first US president setting foot in North Korea, something he would have crucified Obama for even considering, and invites Kim to the White House for KFC and video games. Kim accepts the offer, safe in the knowledge that the orange twit isnin love with him, and becomes a pioneer to his people, creating lasting alliances with Western nations for the first time in decades. Trump even lets him borrow Air Force One for the flight over, it's got a PS4 and an Xbox One, he tells Kim.

Kim arrives, gets a motorcade taking him to the White House, there's a military parade in his honour, he's finally accepted abroad. Father would be so proud.

He steps into the Oval Office, and he's handcuffed. He's flown to The Hague, and found guilty of crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court.

Trump takes off his tie, breaths a sigh of relief, and tenders his resignation. He can drop the act now. He goes down as the man who brought down the Kim dynasty and eventually led to the reunification of Korea. A Nobel Peace Price arrives the next year.
Last edited by Gofre; 2 weeks ago
yourguyJM
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Imagine if this is the final play, the conclusion of his long game. He acts like a moron throughout the campaign, he cosies up to Kim, he makes concessions and the Koreans go along with this bizarre friendship because Trump's obviously a simpleton that's increasing their legitimacy on the world stage. Trump makes history as the first US president setting foot in North Korea, something he would have crucified Obama for even considering, and invites Kim to the White House for KFC and video games. Kim accepts the offer, safe in the knowledge that the orange twit isnin love with him, and becomes a pioneer to his people, creating lasting alliances with Western nations for the first time in decades. Trump even lets him borrow Air Force One for the flight over, it's got a PS4 and an Xbox One, he tells Kim.

Kim arrives, gets a motorcade taking him to the White House, there's a military parade in his honour, he's finally accepted abroad. Father would be so proud.

He steps into the Oval Office, and he's handcuffed. He's flown to The Hague, and found guilty of crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court.

Trump takes off his tie, breaths a sigh of relief, and tenders his resignation. He can drop the act now. He goes down as the man who brought down the Kim dynasty and eventually led to the reunification of Korea. A Nobel Peace Price arrives the next year.
There's a greater chance he'll proclaim himself king of North Korea...
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Gofre)

"The difference between fact and fiction is that fiction has to make sense"
Tom Clancy
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)

:lol:

Another upside would be far fewer requests for handshake meetings with the US President from miscellaneous foreign dictators.
Palmyra
Report 2 weeks ago
Kim would have a hard time finding a train that could take him to the US
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Palmyra)
Kim would have a hard time finding a train that could take him to the US
Perhaps he will go via Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur. they both have good reasons to adore him.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I mean, it’s worth a try. Isolation hasn’t really worked. If they don’t get on, oh well. Kim won’t start a war that cause him to be annihilated.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
I mean, it’s worth a try. Isolation hasn’t really worked. If they don’t get on, oh well. Kim won’t start a war that cause him to be annihilated.
It really isn't worth it. The DPRK are absolute past masters at winning these little PR games, which are designed with the sole purpose of keeping them and their horrible system in power. The West has never made the slightest progress from giving into them, from seeking to make friends with them or from accommodating them. The South is mainly just scared and constantly acting on that. They can't be tough if the West isn't tough and the West isn't.

The net outcome of this will as usual be further solidification of the regime, more missiles, more nukes, more threats and no serious acts or offers of change in the North. The North Korean people will as usual continue to suffer.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
It really isn't worth it. The DPRK are absolute past masters at winning these little PR games, which are designed with the sole purpose of keeping them and their horrible system in power. The West has never made the slightest progress from giving into them, from seeking to make friends with them or from accommodating them. The South is mainly just scared and constantly acting on that. They can't be tough if the West isn't tough and the West isn't.

The net outcome of this will as usual be further solidification of the regime, more missiles, more nukes, more threats and no serious acts or offers of change in the North. The North Korean people will as usual continue to suffer.
The regime is already fairly solid. And it can’t be removed due to the risks it causes. Ie if we launch some cheeky missiles at them, you can be assured Kim would be whisked to safety and DPRK would fire their artillery at Seoul killing god knows how many.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
The regime is already fairly solid. And it can’t be removed due to the risks it causes. Ie if we launch some cheeky missiles at them, you can be assured Kim would be whisked to safety and DPRK would fire their artillery at Seoul killing god knows how many.
Only China can remove the regime and they have repeatedly demonstrated that no matter how bad Kim is, they won't - and under China's current leadership, they are both as bad as each other really.

The truth is that the world now needs to decide if it is going to defend liberal democracy, or dump it in favour of escalating economic wealth for the Chinese and Western aristocracies of capital. At the moment, the latter is occurring. We used to at least pay lip service to the former, but our own government doesn't even bother to do that any more.

We need to stop making our stuff in China and essentially stop trading with them - but we won't.

The people of Hong Kong are rioting precisely to try to defend what we have given up on, or at least, our weasel governments have given up on.
c0mpI3x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The same polls that put creepy Joe Biden up? the same polls that had Trump having little to no chance whatsoever of winning an election?

Can't wait for Trump to win again. Actually he's doing a pretty good job. Though I don't like what they are doing in Venezula (look up Koch brothers involvement they own oil) Trumps been more anti-war than Obama if you look at what happened under him.
Last edited by c0mpI3x; 1 week ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by c0mpI3x)
The same polls that put creepy Joe Biden up? the same polls that had Trump having little to no chance whatsoever of winning an election?

Can't wait for Trump to win again. Actually he's doing a pretty good job. Though I don't like what they are doing in Venezula (look up Koch brothers involvement they own oil) Trumps been more anti-war than Obama if you look at what happened under him.
He's not anti war, he's pro money and pro Trump. The default is cowardly, which he also does particularly well.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Progress to what though?
The North Koreans arent going to stop their missile or nuclear programs theyd be utterly insane to. And the idea of reunification died quite a long time ago, well at least on the terms acceptable to Seoul. I'm sure Pyongyang would happily annex the south if it could.
Moving towards being an open society, trading, exchanging ideas in peace - and the consequences that would bring in terms of civil liberties, standards of living and greater co-operation across the border.
z-hog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Trump has been having a hard time - he has slipped in the polls and his obvious weakness abroad (he has failed to curb China and his son-in-law Jared's ridiculous Middle East initiative has been widely ridiculed) - so he has returned to Korean issues, claiming another victory in the talks with Kim, which have actually been a total failure thus far.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48814975

So far Trump's main achievement has been to legitimise the regime in North Korea by giving away photo opportunities in return for nothing. Now he is apparently going to go the whole hog and invite the charming DPRK leader on a state visit to DC.

The North Korean regime is one of the worst in the world - they have hundreds of thousands of pitifully mistreated forced labourers and political prisoners held in camps, where they are routinely tortured in the most horrible and cruel ways. This is the leadership that Trump has decided to make use of to boost his electoral chances and portray himself as a successful negotiator.

For the North Korea regime, it is yet another win in a long series of wins against the US and the West, whom it regularly trolls with all kinds of dire threats and in return is regularly capitulated to.

A sad day for human rights and for the people of Korea.

The reality of having a self-serving narcissistic playboy as President of the US.
No real substance to any of that, just the perspective of a Trumpophobe. Trump failed to curb China and has done nothing good about the Korean issue, impeach him. To free-thinkers, that nothing better than that can be used as an argument is the only lesson to learn.
joe goldberg
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Where’s Otto Warmbiers dad now? He bashed Obama and praised trump for getting his dead son back and now same trump is shaking hands and being lovely with your sons murderer
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads