The Student Room Group

Can't access online account and can't call because I'm overseas

I'm currently in the United States studying a different degree, but will return to the UK later this summer to begin my PhD studies at Exeter. When I was accepted I submitted the paper version of the application form and mailed it from the US (which wasn't cheap), only to receive a letter sent to my permanent UK address stating that it was too early to apply and that, in any case, I should apply online rather than using the paper form. The basically wouldn't process my application, or just hold onto it until the right time, because I'd applied too early.

The problem is that I cannot access my online account. It has been years since I tried to access my online account and therefore have lost the username, password, and don't even remember the email address connected to the account, although I suspect it was a university email address which I no longer have access to anyway. I've tried several times to log in trying different potential log in details, but seem to have locked myself out and the only way to resolve this problem is by calling SFE. Unfortunately, as I am in the US until mid-late August, I am unable to make international calls so can't simply call SFE to verify my identity and gain online access to my account.

I'm really worried that if I don't apply until I get back home I won't get my student loan in time for the beginning of the new academic year which will impact my ability to get to campus for fresher's week and orientation. It also has further implications because I need to apply for DSA at the same time and I've read online that DSA can take 14 weeks from application to approval. Not having this set up in time will significantly delay my ability to get started on my research right away. Is there any way for me to verify my identity without calling SFE? I've tried sending emails to the complaint email address in the past because that was the only email address I could find to contact SFE, but never received a response from them other than a generic letter sent to my permanent UK address which didn't directly address the question I had, but simply told me to call, which I'd explained in the email that I was unable to do.
Buy a phone card. It isn’t that difficult or expensive to call internationally.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Buy a phone card. It isn’t that difficult or expensive to call internationally.

It’s actually incredibly expensive and difficult which is why I haven’t been able to go for that option. Especially when I could potentially be on hold for ages. It also means I’d have to find a public phone and I can’t remember the last time i saw one of those. It would also be difficult to maintain confidentiality while on a public phone and cause issues if they need info which i don’t have to hand while on said phone.
Original post by Denverlady
It’s actually incredibly expensive and difficult which is why I haven’t been able to go for that option. Especially when I could potentially be on hold for ages. It also means I’d have to find a public phone and I can’t remember the last time i saw one of those. It would also be difficult to maintain confidentiality while on a public phone and cause issues if they need info which i don’t have to hand while on said phone.

With a phone card you’ll normally be paying 1c per minute maximum. Even from a hotel room or hotel phone they’ll only usually charge $1 for you to call the phone card number. Most gas stations and supermarkets sell them (and have pay phones).

You could try contacting SFE over Facebook private message during working hours but they might not be able to help. You’re going to have to decide what your priorities are - sorting out your online account from where you are, going without funding/support for a few months at the start of your course or delaying the start of your course until you can sort out your online account once you’re back in the uk.
If you’re studying at the moment then it’s likely that staff at your current university will allow you to use a university phone with a phone card to call SFE.
I'm currently in the United States studying a different degree, but will return to the UK later this summer to begin my PhD studies at Exeter. When I was accepted I submitted the paper version of the application form and mailed it from the US (which wasn't cheap), only to receive a letter sent to my permanent UK address stating that it was too early to apply and that, in any case, I should apply online rather than using the paper form. The basically wouldn't process my application, or just hold onto it until the right time, because I'd applied too early.

The problem is that I cannot access my online account. It has been years since I tried to access my online account and therefore have lost the username, password, and don't even remember the email address connected to the account, although I suspect it was a university email address which I no longer have access to anyway. I've tried several times to log in trying different potential log in details, but seem to have locked myself out and the only way to resolve this problem is by calling SFE. Unfortunately, as I am in the US until mid-late August, I am unable to make international calls so can't simply call SFE to verify my identity and gain online access to my account.

I'm really worried that if I don't apply until I get back home I won't get my student loan in time for the beginning of the new academic year which will impact my ability to get to campus for fresher's week and orientation. It also has further implications because I need to apply for DSA at the same time and I've read online that DSA can take 14 weeks from application to approval. Not having this set up in time will significantly delay my ability to get started on my research right away. Is there any way for me to verify my identity without calling SFE? I've tried sending emails to the complaint email address in the past because that was the only email address I could find to contact SFE, but never received a response from them other than a generic letter sent to my permanent UK address which didn't directly address the question I had, but simply told me to call, which I'd explained in the email that I was unable to do.

Hi there,

You can request that your account information is updated and your secret answer and password are reset by post. You would need to write a covering letter which includes your name, email address, date of birth and the university/college you originally attended. You should also include a request to update your contact details and reset your secret answer and password.Your new security information will be sent to you by post. You should send this letter to:

The Student Loans Company Ltd
100 Bothwell Street
Glasgow
G2 7JD

It is worth noting that our phone numbers also work over VOiP applications such as Skype. Please find our contact details here.

Kind regards, Ferne
Reply 6
Original post by Ferne SFE
Hi there,

You can request that your account information is updated and your secret answer and password are reset by post. You would need to write a covering letter which includes your name, email address, date of birth and the university/college you originally attended. You should also include a request to update your contact details and reset your secret answer and password.Your new security information will be sent to you by post. You should send this letter to:

100 Bothwell Street
Glasgow
G2 7JD

It is worth noting that our phone numbers also work over VOiP applications such as Skype. Please find our contact details here.

Kind regards, Ferne

This is super helpful. Thank you. I’ll write the letter and post it off today.

Just to add, my contact details are fine as they are; everything goes to my parents address. An attempted forced change of address actually added more problems about a year or so ago when I received a random letter to my student address in the US accusing my of moving abroad without telling SFE and avoiding repayment, which I’m not required to do at the moment because I’m a full time student. My mum tried to call at that time to sort everything out on my behalf, but of course they wouldn’t talk to her because she wasn’t me. That’s what started all of the problems because that was when i tried to log on to correct the forced change back to my home address but ended up getting locked out. I still have no idea how SFE even got my student address in the US as I don’t really use it because getting things mailed here is unreliable at best.
(edited 4 years ago)
This is super helpful. Thank you. I’ll write the letter and post it off today.

Just to add, my contact details are fine as they are; everything goes to my parents address. An attempted forced change of address actually added more problems about a year or so ago when I received a random letter to my student address in the US accusing my of moving abroad without telling SFE and avoiding repayment, which I’m not required to do at the moment because I’m a full time student. My mum tried to call at that time to sort everything out on my behalf, but of course they wouldn’t talk to her because she wasn’t me. That’s what started all of the problems because that was when i tried to log on to correct the forced change back to my home address but ended up getting locked out. I still have no idea how SFE even got my student address in the US as I don’t really use it because getting things mailed here is unreliable at best.

Hi there,

You're welcome, once we receive your letter we will be able to update your account information. Apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced. If you would like we also have something called Consent to Share which allows us to discuss your account details (with the exception of the bank details) with a third party of your choice, without you having to be present during the call. The third party will need to go through security to verify that they have access before any account specific information can be discussed.

If this is something you would like to set up for your mum you can send us in a letter stating you want to set up CtS with her details as follows:

Full Name
Relationship to you
First line of address and postcode
Date of Birth
Password (you can choose anything)
End date for the CtS

You would send this into the following address:

100 Bothwell Street
Glasgow
G2 7JD

Thanks, Amy
Reply 8
Original post by Amy SFE
Hi there,

You're welcome, once we receive your letter we will be able to update your account information. Apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced. If you would like we also have something called Consent to Share which allows us to discuss your account details (with the exception of the bank details) with a third party of your choice, without you having to be present during the call. The third party will need to go through security to verify that they have access before any account specific information can be discussed.

If this is something you would like to set up for your mum you can send us in a letter stating you want to set up CtS with her details as follows:

Full Name
Relationship to you
First line of address and postcode
Date of Birth
Password (you can choose anything)
End date for the CtS

You would send this into the following address:

100 Bothwell Street
Glasgow
G2 7JD

Thanks, Amy