vargvikernes
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, I've been meandering for a while about what to really do for my EPQ and struggling with what I should begin to develop. Most of the ideas I've researched so far have been too broad to write on and I've gradually hated the ideas more as I've gotten further into them. I'm looking to study Physics at university after 6th form so want to do a related EPQ.

My current idea is research on the speed of light as a constant, specifically on why and what consequences it has. Also, maybe on ways to surpass it and evaluating how possible it may be? Along the way, I've also looked at the methods of determining it.

But this like the other ideas seems way too broad and I'm losing focus on a general point. Does anybody have any advice on what I should do? Is this idea bad at its core or what area am I best to put my focus on?

Thanks in advance.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can't advise about the subject itself, but EPQs are valuable as they prepare you for the transition to uni work.

Also, don't worry about it too much - I was really stressed during my A2 year, forgot about my EPQ, and then got an A* for about 6 weeks work.
Den Den
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As far as many rumours of physics students have come, physics as an a-level on its own is no joke.

Focus on the a-level, the epq will be an extra burden to your study.

Also epq's can't anything directly within an a-level spec. Do double check if you are still setting your heart on doing one, whether the speed of light is a part of the physics syllabus.
Ligretto Cowboy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did a project on black holes last year and got an A* (I procrastinated a lot tho).
For project, I think it’s best considering as much content as possible just to expand your dissertation.
Since yours is about speed of light, I think it’s nice to look through some of relativistic motion and time dilation.
With those two alone, I guess you can dig a lot of informations.
My idea is that you can start from discussing how speed of light was determined (there’re about 3 or 4 famous ways I guess) in details, and then start talking about it’s impact on time dilation and it’s importance in the universe, eg., the time it takes the sunlight to reach the earth is specific. Look through the postgraduate research papers as well if possible.
Since, I haven’t done any research on it and also since I just finished my A2, I’m not that qualified to advise you further. But here’s the outline of my project from which you can take some ideas.

Spoiler:
Show
What is the nature of black holes and how do they effect the Universe?

Introduction
Literature Review
-Historical Background
-Types of Black Holes
-Formation of Black holes
(i) Gravitational Collapse
(ii) High Energy Collisions
-Evolution of Black holes
-Decay of Black Holes
-Effects of Black Holes on Spacetime
-The role of black holes in the formation and evolution of galaxies
-Detection of Black holes

Primary Research

Discussion
-The philosophy of the black hole concept
-The spacetime Effects and the black hole information paradox
-Gravitational Singularity
-How well did my primary research support my project?
-In what way are the black holes important?

Conclusion
Evaluation
Bibliography
Glossary

I hope this helps. Have fun with your project.
vargvikernes
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Ligretto Cowboy)
I did a project on black holes last year and got an A* (I procrastinated a lot tho).
For project, I think it’s best considering as much content as possible just to expand your dissertation.
Since yours is about speed of light, I think it’s nice to look through some of relativistic motion and time dilation.
With those two alone, I guess you can dig a lot of informations.
My idea is that you can start from discussing how speed of light was determined (there’re about 3 or 4 famous ways I guess) in details, and then start talking about it’s impact on time dilation and it’s importance in the universe, eg., the time it takes the sunlight to reach the earth is specific. Look through the postgraduate research papers as well if possible.
Since, I haven’t done any research on it and also since I just finished my A2, I’m not that qualified to advise you further. But here’s the outline of my project from which you can take some ideas.

Spoiler:
Show
What is the nature of black holes and how do they effect the Universe?

Introduction
Literature Review
-Historical Background
-Types of Black Holes
-Formation of Black holes
(i) Gravitational Collapse
(ii) High Energy Collisions
-Evolution of Black holes
-Decay of Black Holes
-Effects of Black Holes on Spacetime
-The role of black holes in the formation and evolution of galaxies
-Detection of Black holes

Primary Research

Discussion
-The philosophy of the black hole concept
-The spacetime Effects and the black hole information paradox
-Gravitational Singularity
-How well did my primary research support my project?
-In what way are the black holes important?

Conclusion
Evaluation
Bibliography
Glossary

I hope this helps. Have fun with your project.
I'm a bit slow to respond but thank you! Thats really useful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.26%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
14.89%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (5)
10.64%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (4)
8.51%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (20)
42.55%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
19.15%

Watched Threads