The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge?

I am planning to apply to study medicine at Oxbridge. My primary choice was Oxford but GCSEs are not my strongest points as I came to the UK in Year 11 so my English was quite weak. This, in turn, heavily affected my English Language GCSE where I got a grade 5 (while most medical schools want a 6) but I do have 7A*s, an A and a B. Also, my GCSEs were also affected due to the school I was in as it scored well below the national average. My predicted grades are likely to be A*A*A*A or 4A*s (they will be released tomorrow) and I am also doing a CREST project with other work experiences and volunteering. But would it be better if I choose to apply to Cambridge instead as they tend to look less at GCSEs than Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

probably and you be best looking at retaking your English Language to get a 6
Original post by StelleD
I am planning to apply to study medicine at Oxbridge. My primary choice was Oxford but GCSEs are not my strongest points as I came to the UK in Year 11 so my English was quite weak. This, in turn, heavily affected my English Language GCSE where I got a grade 5 (while most medical schools want a 6) but I do have 7A*s, an A and a B. Also, my GCSEs were also affected due to the school I was in as it scored well below the national average. My predicted grades are likely to be A*A*A*A or 4A*s (they will be released tomorrow) and I am also doing a CREST project with other work experiences and volunteering. But would it be better if I choose to apply to Cambridge instead as they tend to look less at GCSEs than Oxford?
Yes, you would probably have a better chance at securing an interview at Cambridge as Oxford rank using GCSEs and Cambridge interview an larger percentage of people.
Forget about your exams, uni etc and live a life on the sesh. Life is to be enjoyed my friend, you only get one!
I imagine that the majority of answers to this will be: Oxford is the only place to go. Anywhere else and you may as well not go to uni.

I'm a postgrad at Oxford, so I would advise you to apply to the Oxbridge uni which best suits your needs and the course which you most like the look of. You are predicted amazing results and have volunteering experience. I would work in the fact that you did not speak great English into your personal statement - bilingualism + the ability to thrive in a new country will mean they will look past lower GCSEs. You are obviously not the usual Oxbridge applicant with lower GCSEs. you have a story, and OXbridge does genuinely like that (I have had lots of discussions about this with my supervisor who is also an admissions tutor).

Which other unis are you planning to apply to?

Original post by StelleD
Cambridge obviously
Reply 6
Thank you for your reply guys!
Reply 7
Wow! I did not know that. I am currently looking at Exeter, Leeds, Brighton and Sussex, Newcastle maybe.. I am not quite sure yet.
Original post by 9876543211234
I imagine that the majority of answers to this will be: Oxford is the only place to go. Anywhere else and you may as well not go to uni.

I'm a postgrad at Oxford, so I would advise you to apply to the Oxbridge uni which best suits your needs and the course which you most like the look of. You are predicted amazing results and have volunteering experience. I would work in the fact that you did not speak great English into your personal statement - bilingualism + the ability to thrive in a new country will mean they will look past lower GCSEs. You are obviously not the usual Oxbridge applicant with lower GCSEs. you have a story, and OXbridge does genuinely like that (I have had lots of discussions about this with my supervisor who is also an admissions tutor).

@nexttime might be able to offer some more advice and/or context regarding Oxford medicine admissions.

Generally though, as you can find on their medical admissions web pages, for Oxford GCSEs are a major part of their formal pre-interview shortlisting criteria. With poorer GCSEs you run a greater risk of not even being interviewed. I would suggest as such focusing on Cambridge, who don't use GCSEs in the same way, as such.

I don't believe your predicted grades make much difference for Oxford in whether you are called to interview (I'm pretty sure it's entirely based on the BMAT scores and GCSE profile, but I could be wrong). For an anecdotal example, someone in my IB cohort was predicted 45 (the maximum score in IB, which is...extremely unusual to get, unless you go to Sevenoaks, which we didn't), and wasn't even interviewed for Oxford due to just "average" GCSEs (by Oxford standards, all As and A*s but only about half of them were A*s) and less than stellar performance on the BMAT (or so he said).

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
The circumstances surrounding your GCSEs are really important - make sure its mentioned not only in the personal statement, but also teacher's reference. The poorly performing school also counts for a lot.

Unfortunately, the extent to which is difficult to quantify. You could trawl through this data if you wish, but not sure how useful it will be.
Hi @StelleD I agree with 9876543211234 that Oxford would definitely be interested in your story. I have heard an Oxbridge fellow liken applications to a runner.

The first runner has the very best sports kit and latest running shoes. They practice on a state of the art track, designed to maximise speed. This is like going to a top public school.

The second runner isn't so lucky. He just practices in shorts and a T-Shirt. He doesn't have any trainers and just runs barefoot. He runs through the mud. It isn't easy for him.

Yet their running times are the same. The second runner, has a tougher time of it, but has overcome his disadvantages to achieve.

As you can see from the graph below, it is possible to get in with 7A*, especially with those extenuating circumstances

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

However please re-take the English to get up to the required standard. There will be an awful lot of essays to write at Oxford!

I have written a book about applying to Oxford called Oxford Demystified. It's on TSR. Please see the link below for my chapter on medicine. My son is writing his own chapter about the course.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6019726

Original post by 9876543211234

Looking at this reply I think that Cambridge would be the answer. Don't take the risk of applying to Oxford and possibly being rejected pre-interview because of your GCSE grades. There are twice as many places on the medicine course at Cambridge, however please note you need A*A*A to get in, as opposed to Oxford's A*AA.
Original post by artful_lounger
@nexttime might be able to offer some more advice and/or context regarding Oxford medicine admissions.

Generally though, as you can find on their medical admissions web pages, for Oxford GCSEs are a major part of their formal pre-interview shortlisting criteria. With poorer GCSEs you run a greater risk of not even being interviewed. I would suggest as such focusing on Cambridge, who don't use GCSEs in the same way, as such.

I don't believe your predicted grades make much difference for Oxford in whether you are called to interview (I'm pretty sure it's entirely based on the BMAT scores and GCSE profile, but I could be wrong). For an anecdotal example, someone in my IB cohort was predicted 45 (the maximum score in IB, which is...extremely unusual to get, unless you go to Sevenoaks, which we didn't), and wasn't even interviewed for Oxford due to just "average" GCSEs (by Oxford standards, all As and A*s but only about half of them were A*s) and less than stellar performance on the BMAT (or so he said).

Spoiler

Reply 13
Hello!! Thank you for so many replies! I actually had a conversation with my friends and my teacher and... now I am considering Cambridge as I have heard that Oxford has more limited options than Cambridge for intercalation and that Cambridge focuses more on anatomy and dissection (which I find super cool!). But also, I didn't get the uni feel at Oxford due to all the tourists😂. I am also going to a summer residential at cambridge and hopefully then I can be more assertive.
Original post by StelleD
Hello!! Thank you for so many replies! I actually had a conversation with my friends and my teacher and... now I am considering Cambridge as I have heard that Oxford has more limited options than Cambridge for intercalation

True, although I heard doing something really wacky like Law or something is becoming more restricted.

Cambridge focuses more on anatomy and dissection (which I find super cool!).

Definitely true.

But also, I didn't get the uni feel at Oxford due to all the tourists😂.

Cambridge also gets ridiculous numbers of tourists - some sources have visitor numbers as higher in fact.

I am also going to a summer residential at cambridge and hopefully then I can be more assertive.

Sounds good.
Go to which ever you like best.

However, be aware that both Oxbridge unis have a lot of tourists throughout the year. In addition, as an undergraduate you will spend a lot of time in college, and most colleges restrict the number of tourists that are allowed in at any one time (as well as regulating the hours that they are allowed in). My college said tourists could walk in the gardens for two hours every Sunday. If anything, I thought that was overly strict. Other colleges my friends were at had more open hours, and for the most part there were no problems.

Original post by StelleD
Hello!! Thank you for so many replies! I actually had a conversation with my friends and my teacher and... now I am considering Cambridge as I have heard that Oxford has more limited options than Cambridge for intercalation and that Cambridge focuses more on anatomy and dissection (which I find super cool!). But also, I didn't get the uni feel at Oxford due to all the tourists😂. I am also going to a summer residential at cambridge and hopefully then I can be more assertive.
Sounds like it’s Cambridge for you. The most important factor to consider is the course
However before I sign off this thread, just to let you know about the special research project at the end of year 2 at Oxford. You need to find an unproved theory then research it. My son loves the brain and already had an idea in his head. Luckily nobody else had worked on this theory. He has worked very hard on it. He and his lab supervisor thinks he will prove it. If so he is the first person in the world to actually do this. This is beyond exciting for him.

And probably the highlight of his degree so far. 50% of the year are a bit meh about their projects and it counts 25% towards the degree. So I guess it is the marmite of the course but for some it is the best reason to apply
Ps the tourists. Depends on your College. The elder son went to Exeter. As it has the mound it’s a Mecca for the tourists and the same goes for Christchurch. My son used to photobomb all the tourists and give them the wrong directions just for the lols.

However at oriel ( the medic son’s College) you are fiercely protected. Oriel is tucked away down a little side street and tourists pass it by.

They wouldn’t even let my uncle look round even though my son was coming up to Oxford the very next day
Reply 19
hmm..then I need to look at specific colleges when I apply:^_^:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending