Turn on thread page Beta

Obsessive Compusive Disorder. watch

Announcements

Does any know what the syptoms for it are?

ReputationRep:
    Are you worried you have it? What compulsions are you getting?

ReputationRep:
    Roughly, yes. However please son't self-diagnsoe or allow a member to diagnose.

Some of the symptoms overlap with other conditions. Go to a doctor if you think you have it.

For the DSM IV criteria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...28DSM-IV-TR.29

ReputationRep:
    If we tell you, do you think you'll try to fit whatever "symptoms" you're currently having to it, and worry yourself further?

Lots of people have obsessive-compulsive tendencies, not so many actually have it to a degree where it interferes with their life.

ReputationRep:
    I keep washing my hands after every little thing. I freak out about things not being neat. I have to do the exact same things before bed and in the right order or I can get to sleep. I have a thing with having to count to 8 while doing stuff and I cant stand odd numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Lots of people have obsessive-compulsive tendencies, not so many actually have it to a degree where it interferes with their life.
    And that. It would need to cause significant distress to be OCD and, again, there could be others things that would explain the symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if I've got it and it doesn't really bother me but everybody seems to have their own little 'habits' which could be related to OCD. For instance I line all the remotes up on the sofa if I'm watching TV but its not an obsessive thing, I won't go out of my way to do it, I think its just habit now. Also for some reason I've developed a certain fear of odd number, if I'm turning a digital radio up, the volume has to be on an even number and definitely not 13! But I think that's more about superstition even though I don't see myself as a superstitious person.

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting very distressed about things not being right and this is affecting your ability to function normally, then you might have OCD. If you have silly compulsions that are a bit disruptive but don't actually affect your life, or you behave like Monica from Friends, you probably have obsessive-compulsive tendencies like the rest of us. If you're at all uncertain, go see your GP to discuss it further.

i have this thing where if i straighten my hair i check my straightners are off like 5 times, ill walk in and out of the room to just make sure theyre off, sometimes ill unplug them and actually take them to another room to cool down just so i can sort of remember actually actively something about them

oh and if i open a window in the night, i get paranoid about closing it in the morning before leaving for school, il go upstairs a few times and just push against them to make sure theyre really shut
    locking doors at night when im the last person in, ill go back to the handle a couple of times and push down to make sure its locked, one time i even took a picture of the lock through the door so if i got anxious in bed i could have a loko at this picture to make myself calmer.

but its weird because msot of the time i have a really messy room so it kind of counteracts against my suspected OCD

anyway does anyone think that actually counts as OCD, allt hose things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i have this thing where if i straighten my hair i check my straightners are off like 5 times, ill walk in and out of the room to just make sure theyre off, sometimes ill unplug them and actually take them to another room to cool down just so i can sort of remember actually actively something about them

oh and if i open a window in the night, i get paranoid about closing it in the morning before leaving for school, il go upstairs a few times and just push against them to make sure theyre really shut
    locking doors at night when im the last person in, ill go back to the handle a couple of times and push down to make sure its locked, one time i even took a picture of the lock through the door so if i got anxious in bed i could have a loko at this picture to make myself calmer.

but its weird because msot of the time i have a really messy room so it kind of counteracts against my suspected OCD

anyway does anyone think that actually counts as OCD, allt hose things?
    No. Just compulsive tendencies at worse. Much of it (closing windows, double checking does are locked) is just good sense. Even if taking a picture is a little extreme. Maybe you just don't feel safe or have a natural fear of crime.

Really probably isn't OCD.

ReputationRep:
    My most terrible tendency is probably with light switches.

If I'm not in the room, they have to be off and I will sit there and go 'on, off, on, off' till I am comfortable with the fact they are off.

I'm the same with the door too. I'll close it, double lock it, then try the normal key 2 times to make sure it doesn't open. Then push against it and then finally leave.

I don't want to think how many minutes I'd have saved a day not doing such things! ;d

ReputationRep:
    Depends what kind of symptoms you're getting really. It's either obtrusive and distressing thoughts that force themselves into your mind at unwanted times or extreme compulsions and rituals which may be done in an attempt to suppress these thoughts.

I think nearly everyone will have it to a degree, it's just when it starts severely interfering with your life that you need to get it checked out.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody has a bit of OCD. Its just natural for humans.

ReputationRep:
    My car cannot be dirty. Ever. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    i have obsessive tendencies aswell! very surprised so many people have them, makes me feel normal.

i have the thing with the straighteners where i have to check constantly before i go to college to make sure they're off, sometimes i ring my mom from college asking her to make sure they are off lolz

with doors, i have to lock them and keep checking it's locked, however this isn't such a bad one. another thing is what someone else mentioned is i have to wash my hands after touching anything and i get really irritable if i haven't "washed the DIRT off!"

if i am alone in the house and about to go to bed, even if i haven't used the gas hob and the oven i still have to check all the knobs are off. another gas thing is that i have to turn the heating off during the night when i am alone because i'm scared of getting carbon monoxide poisoning.

the worst one for me which affects me abit at night and i can't go to sleep if i haven't spent atleast 15mins just staring at it is my alarm on my phone.i just have to keep checking i set it to the right time, the sound is on and loud enough so that i will hear it, i have to have the same tone to wake me up because i'm scared that a different one won't get me up.this is something that really annoys me and i wish i could stop doing it!

i think it's normal that we should all have some thing to be slightly obsessed about but how bad does it really have to be before it's classed as OCD?

ReputationRep:
    My OCD tendency is I have to write lists.. for a lot of stuff.. I have notebooks everywhere. My friends laugh but I'm okay about it. It keeps me organised!!

ReputationRep:
    My OCD tendencies are when I'm sitting in a room I HAVE to have the door shut. If it isn't I get aggitated and fidgety its really weird... Another one is at night I make sure that all the curtains upstairs are closed before I go to bed... I always check about 4 times if they're properly closed.

Oh and taps. I go around the whole house at night when everyones gone to bed and make sure that none of the taps are dripping. I cant sleep if I think that there could be a tap dripping.

ReputationRep:
    ok let me tell you first hand OCD can and does effect your life if it gets serious enough. Please seek professional advice from a GP who can reffer you if they feel you need help, or you can ask to speak to someone anonymously over the phone who may be able to help.

As a generalisasion OCD is split into 2 catagories; Obessivness and Complusions.

Obsessive thoughts; thinking about death, worrying about a situation (exams, work, illness)
    Compulsions; needing to touch things, organise objects, wash hands, do certain things, checking switches, facial twitching; the list goes on.

And if you add the two together you get the situation where you feel that if you dont do a certain thing then something will happen as a result. Example; If you dont check the oven is off then the house will go up in flames.

It can seriously effect your life. Please dont let it get a hold of you; I did

ReputationRep:
    My friend has ocd
    We just have to work around it, trying not to be too messy or whatever we're in lessons, shes had it for forever and is willing to take a joke about it.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy just to go "everyone has tendencies like that, don't overreact" but having come out of several years crippling OCD I think it's best if you have any worries to see your GP. If you treat it early it is much easier to deal with.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.