Josh2002
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What A Levels are required/desired at top US universities for finance degree or is your application purely based on your SAT results?
Cheers
Josh
hoixw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's mainly a holistic approach from both your essays, a-level and gcse results/predictions, references, SAT/ACT results and a whole bunch of other things.
Josh2002
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So what a levels would you recommend to give me the best chance of doing a finance degree at a top uni
(Original post by hoixw)
It's mainly a holistic approach from both your essays, a-level and gcse results/predictions, references, SAT/ACT results and a whole bunch of other things.
theholychilli
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd definitely suggest maths, that's the most important. Then maybe Further Maths if you're able, Economics, then maybe something like History/Politics/English/Computer Science/Any science (something you're interested in that has a good reputation)
(Original post by Josh2002)
So what a levels would you recommend to give me the best chance of doing a finance degree at a top uni
hoixw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Josh2002)
Maths, FM and econ would probably be your best bet. If you want to do 4 go for whatever you want in the next one - any other science or humanity will fit right in.
Geodesic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For a finance degree, Maths, FM and Economics, as indicated in the answers above, would be a good combination for A-Levels. It might be a good idea to do a fourth one (maybe from the sciences or history, depending on your interests) but it is not necessary.

The SAT is not the only important thing, but it is very very important nevertheless. So I would concentrate on that as much as the A-levels. Ideally you should aim for a score above 1500 to be a strong candidate for very top universities, but a score above is 1400 is generally okay. You could also take the ACT, so it might be a good idea to do mock tests of both and see which one you feel more comfortable with.

Another important thing would be to take 2 or 3 of the SAT IIs (SAT Subject tests). Some unis require them, so you should check for specific requirements. These results are also important, and for finance I would definitely recommend taking Math II as one of them.

Also do not neglect your essays and extra curricular activities, US unis take almost everything into account. It would be a good idea to have some extra-curriculars related to finance.
theholychilli
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If OP is applying to unis that state the SAT subject Tests are "recommended" or "optional" there is no point in doing them, imo they are a waste of time. I did Literature and Math 2, didn't send off my scores and still got accepted
(Original post by Geodesic)
For a finance degree, Maths, FM and Economics, as indicated in the answers above, would be a good combination for A-Levels. It might be a good idea to do a fourth one (maybe from the sciences or history, depending on your interests) but it is not necessary.

The SAT is not the only important thing, but it is very very important nevertheless. So I would concentrate on that as much as the A-levels. Ideally you should aim for a score above 1500 to be a strong candidate for very top universities, but a score above is 1400 is generally okay. You could also take the ACT, so it might be a good idea to do mock tests of both and see which one you feel more comfortable with.

Another important thing would be to take 2 or 3 of the SAT IIs (SAT Subject tests). Some unis require them, so you should check for specific requirements. These results are also important, and for finance I would definitely recommend taking Math II as one of them.

Also do not neglect your essays and extra curricular activities, US unis take almost everything into account. It would be a good idea to have some extra-curriculars related to finance.
Geodesic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well I would say that depends, if it is “recommended” it is a good idea to submit scores, if they are good of course. Although it is possible to get accepted without submitting your scores, as in your case, a 760-800 would enhance your application. So I would not say that they are a waste of time, especially if you are applying to very competitive universities.
(Original post by theholychilli)
If OP is applying to unis that state the SAT subject Tests are "recommended" or "optional" there is no point in doing them, imo they are a waste of time. I did Literature and Math 2, didn't send off my scores and still got accepted
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads