euanjoc8
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there everyone, I was just searching for a thread like this and was a little surprised not to find one, though I’m not a veteran of TSR so if I have missed it, please do direct me to it.

It’s just 107 days, if I’ve counted right, until the Cambridge applications deadline so it seems like a good idea to have this chat to discuss what to do and what’s happening.

As for me, I am applying for German and Russian, the latter ab initio, probably at Jesus College.

My A Levels are German, Spanish, French, Classical Greek, Latin and Politics, but I’ve actually already done German and Spanish, the latter independently, and am eagerly awaiting the results.

In terms of preparation, I’ve been doing some reading auf Deutsch - both literature and history/politics. For Russian, I’m a bit concerned I haven’t done quite enough - I’ve read some books on the Soviet period in the past but am only really starting research on the culture and general history now.

How about the rest of you? My school normally has about one MMLer every five years (and I mean applicants, not even those that get in) so I’m rather bereft of others to talk about it with.
Last edited by euanjoc8; 1 year ago
maddyjm02
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm pretty sure I'm applying to do MML for 2020 too, highly unlikely I'll get in but worth a shot anyway.
I do French, Maths, and Art for my current A-Levels (no clue how you got to do so many, 3 was enough for me, and we weren't allowed to do more than one language unless you were fluent in some). I'd do French and ab-initio German I think, I haven't done huge amounts of super curricular stuff yet and definitely need to get on it. I've been to some of those summer schools, and watched like two German films, and been doing reading in French- and am reading a book on linguistics as it's interesting and hopefully some use. I'm planning on looking more into the French literary and film stuff, and German history and politics, as I currently only know the stuff we learnt at GCSE, and apparently you have to have a good grasp for interview of background knowledge and basic grammar.

I think someone mentioned maybe one other person at my school who did MML, otherwise, languages, in general, aren't hugely popular at my school.

I keep putting off super curricular stuff! Not great, I don't know why, could be worse extra reading- considering watching films counts if you can talk about it.
niamh2805
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hiya! i'm applying for german and latin (both post a-level). as the ucas deadline looms i'm really feeling stressed - if i'm invited for interview i just don't know what to talk about and how to impress them as far as super-curriculars go i've done the mml masterclass, taken part in a german exchange which involved work experience this year, and then returned to germany independently to do some volunteer work; i've also read a fair amount of german 20th century history books and some fiction auf Deutsch. i applied to the uk-german youth connection summer course this year and was rejected which (although it only has about 12 places i think) really made me worry that i won't be good enough for cambridge. so yeah, that's pretty much me how are you guys feeling about applications?
username3756196
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey all - applying for German and ab initio Italian
samuelbarker
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm applying for both French and Latin post a-level.
Issakat_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone! I’ve applied for French and Russian in Emmanuel and recently got invited to an interview I was wondering if any of you have heard of some really good tips on how to prepare for the interview itself?
samuelbarker
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by niamh2805)
hiya! i'm applying for german and latin (both post a-level). as the ucas deadline looms i'm really feeling stressed - if i'm invited for interview i just don't know what to talk about and how to impress them as far as super-curriculars go i've done the mml masterclass, taken part in a german exchange which involved work experience this year, and then returned to germany independently to do some volunteer work; i've also read a fair amount of german 20th century history books and some fiction auf Deutsch. i applied to the uk-german youth connection summer course this year and was rejected which (although it only has about 12 places i think) really made me worry that i won't be good enough for cambridge. so yeah, that's pretty much me how are you guys feeling about applications?
I applied for French and Latin at Clare, how were your interviews? My French was alright but my Classics was awful
maddyjm02
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MalinaBond)
yeah i had my interview for German and Russian at Trinity Hall and it was a nightmare.
I found it really rude because the interviewers start laughing at my personal statement.
what were they laughing about??
MalinaBond
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by maddyjm02)
what were they laughing about??
I had written an essay about a German film and the main point was about art being a slave to politics, particularly German art with Nazi propaganda, social realism in east Germany and post-modernism in west Germany. They 'didn't understand it' no matter how many times I rephrased it and eventually had to move on.
samuelbarker
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had written an essay about a German film and the main point was about art being a slave to politics, particularly German art with Nazi propaganda, social realism in east Germany and post-modernism in west Germany. They 'didn't understand it' no matter how many times I rephrased it and eventually had to move on.
Don't worry too much, my friend's interviewer was staring at the ceiling when he was talking and sighing but he still got a place
MalinaBond
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by samuelbarker)
Don't worry too much, my friend's interviewer was staring at the ceiling when he was talking and sighing but he still got a place
Thank you for the optimism!!!
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Probably best not to name names here in public but I'm now trying to work out who that might have been...
username3756196
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also interviewed at TH and felt they were really unimpressed by everything in the ab initio interview. Conversation didn’t really go anywhere and didn’t get harder as people say it ought to - oh well...
esor123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I had a question regarding Russian which I am hoping to apply for ab initio for 2021. What sort of preparation would you recommend doing for a totally new language?
samuelbarker
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
immersion in the culture to show that you are really interested in it. This is so important - films, books etc. Also maybe start doing some introductory language courses on Babbel or something, I did that a couple of years ago. It's unlikely that at interview, they'll give you something language based that is complex but they could introduce it to you and then see how you deal with it, so always good to be ahead of the game
(Original post by esor123)
Hi I had a question regarding Russian which I am hoping to apply for ab initio for 2021. What sort of preparation would you recommend doing for a totally new language?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (297)
55.93%
I don't have everything I need (234)
44.07%

Watched Threads