help with methodology section of dissertation?

Watch
TSR1995
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm just about to start the methodology section of my dissertation. I'm pretty burnt out at this stage and my university provides little to no example frameworks to assist with writing my dissertation - apart from the brief.

The purpose of my dissertation is on the topic of how technology has impacted the music industry. With this section I want to use questionnaires to establish what mediums people use to listen to music and if people still indulge in piracy - to forecast where the industry is headed.

I want to know which research philosophy would be most fruitful to utilize?

Much thanks :-)
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TSR1995)
Hi,

I'm just about to start the methodology section of my dissertation. I'm pretty burnt out at this stage and my university provides little to no example frameworks to assist with writing my dissertation - apart from the brief.

The purpose of my dissertation is on the topic of how technology has impacted the music industry. With this section I want to use questionnaires to establish what mediums people use to listen to music and if people still indulge in piracy - to forecast where the industry is headed.

I want to know which research philosophy would be most fruitful to utilize?

Much thanks :-)
You should be able to get a decent idea of the structure by reading other papers which utilise a similar study design.

Essentially the methodology section is the 'how' section, in terms of how you are answering your question, how you are collecting data, how you will recruit participants, how you will populate the data into tables etc. You should also discuss any specific benefits/limitations of the methods you choose and anything that might affect the generalisability of your results. You need to explain the rationale behind any decisions you have made. This section is arguably the most important as without the right level of detail, it would not be possible for someone to replicate your work.
TSR1995
Rep:
?
Hi, Thanks for reply. I believe there are different research philosophies i need to discuss which one I will be using and why. Can you shed some light on which might be most fruitful to use?
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, Thanks for reply. I believe there are different research philosophies i need to discuss which one I will be using and why. Can you shed some light on which might be most fruitful to use?
Can you clarify what you mean by 'research philosophies'? That could refer to any number of things.
TSR1995
Rep:
?
For example "This research adopts an interpretivist philosophy, which is particularly relevant for marketing

research that focuses on the viewpoint of the people"

Im looking to see which philosophy would be most useful to utilize in conducting research into how people listen to music and what their view on piracy is in order to forecast where the industry is headed?
Last edited by TSR1995; 1 year ago
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For example "This research adopts an interpretivist philosophy, which is particularly relevant for marketing

research that focuses on the viewpoint of the people"

Im looking to see which philosophy would be most useful to utilize in conducting research into how people listen to music and what their view on piracy is in order to forecast where the industry is headed?
Oh okay I see. You need to read up on what each philosophy represents, and then choose the most appropriate one for your project. Here's a good website to explain the difference between positivist and interpretivist: https://revisesociology.com/2015/05/...ism-sociology/

Have you covered the philosophies in one of your modules? If you need to make reference to them, you probably covered them in lectures or your further reading.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (95)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (287)
15.14%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (201)
10.6%
Lack of purpose or motivation (266)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (83)
4.38%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (109)
5.75%
Loneliness (164)
8.65%
Financial worries (68)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (83)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (90)
4.75%
Lack of real life entertainment (105)
5.54%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (166)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (179)
9.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed