The Student Room Group

Failing modules but passing semester?

Is their a general policy on passing a semester at uni? I failed to manage expectations properly, ended up being ready enough to take the exams last month, but not confident enough to ensure that I'll get satisfactory grades to pass the individual modules.

Between the exams and coursework that I've completed so far (so excluding the June exams) I have an overall average of 40% which would mean a pass. However, two of the exams I took could leave me with at least 2 / at most 3 modules with less than 40% (likely borderline 30's for at least two of them).

First year, Cardiff and although I'm still searching up the info surrounding this, It couldn't hurt to ask here.
I don't know how and if it differs from university to university but at my university you have to pass all modules with the lowest grade being 40%
The policy on progression will vary from university to university and sometimes department to department. You need to find your course handbook and/or university academic regulations.

However most universities would require you to have passed most, if not all your modules for progression so that you have 120 credits from the year. Some allow you to take one module forward to second year but would expect you to pass it that year.
Is there a possibility to retake the modules?

It is highly unlikely that you would be allowed to progress with 3 failed modules as that is a large proportion of the course ( It depends hw much the individual course are worth but if they're 10 credits each that would be 25% of the year and if they were 20 credits that would be 50%)

I would talk to your personal tutor and discuss your options as soon as possible, as there maybe opertunties to retake

Original post by Anonymous
Is their a general policy on passing a semester at uni? I failed to manage expectations properly, ended up being ready enough to take the exams last month, but not confident enough to ensure that I'll get satisfactory grades to pass the individual modules.

Between the exams and coursework that I've completed so far (so excluding the June exams) I have an overall average of 40% which would mean a pass. However, two of the exams I took could leave me with at least 2 / at most 3 modules with less than 40% (likely borderline 30's for at least two of them).

First year, Cardiff and although I'm still searching up the info surrounding this, It couldn't hurt to ask here.
There is a policy, look at your module/department handbook... (even your emails)

Quick Reply

Latest