Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello I have decided that my obsession with accessorize has to stop and so i'm going to start making my own jewellery- so I just wanted to ask does anyone on tsr already do this? And where do you go to get plain bracelets, necklace materials and earrings that you can decorate, and also where are the best places to go to get lovely beads and things to decorare them with. Any info would be much appreciated as I'm not the most creative of people thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm an avid jewellery maker and the best place for your average stuff and necessities is Hobbycraft. I get nearly everything from there like clasps, chains, plain beads, earring backs, wire etc.etc.

For more unusual beads etc, see if there's a bead shop or craft shop near you as they often stock more unusual things compared to the big companies. The one near me closed down recently much to my dismay but I'm more into shoving random objects onto the ends of chains than beads but it definitely came in handy for birthday presents/ Beady stuff I was making

Make sure you get a good set of jewellery pliers too, not only are they invaluable during crafting but can also be used for other jobs too I've found!

x

ReputationRep:
    your a star, have my rep for the day! Can you get plain big bracelets aswell to decorate?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm not sure. I don't think I've ever seen them in craft stores. I'd say the best thing to do for that is take a trip to somewhere like Primark or keep your eyes peeled for plain bracelets around in the shops for cheap. Then buy a couple, for different designs and experiments that may go wrong I'm constantly getting annoyed with myself for buying one of things, then going back, and finding that that certain thing is sold out/ out of stock.

And thanks for the + rep

x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks hun il stock up and then il give it a go!

ReputationRep:
    I recently made a bracelet and anklet. I got everything off ebay members shops - some really nice glass beads, leather thread and clasps. It was quite fiddly attaching the clasps but I'm quite pleased with them as I'm not terribly creative myself.

ReputationRep:
    myvintagecharms.com

everything on there is GORGEOUS

ReputationRep:
    ebay
    my favourite for really cute cheap little bits is a seller called "poetess"
    also try charity shops, i've made a few things out of chains and reads i've picked up in charity shops and at jumble sales

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofee)
    myvintagecharms.com

that site is amazing! ahhh repreprep because i am spending all my $$$ there right now!

ReputationRep:
    I do silversmithing, and cookson gold online is the place to go for professional materials - sod Hobbycraft!!!

ReputationRep:
    My sister makes her own jewellery as well - I'll see if she has any advice for you. She uses etsy (online store) quite a lot for materials though (charms etc.).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofee)
    myvintagecharms.com

Oh my goodness! I love it!

ReputationRep:
    I make a lot of rings and earrings using beads and wire - there are a lot of good internet sites arounds for beads.
    Ebay is really useful as well.

ReputationRep:
    Wow i love that vintage charm site! Thanks for all the feedback everyone

ReputationRep:
    for an A level art project I made my own beads from polymer clay, it's so easy to use and you can make so much from it, and if you just bake it and varnish it, it'll look like nice vintagy beads, you can eve add some glitters in there and make your own colours by mixing the clay and stuff, it's really good fun!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.