The Student Room Group

Mum can't stop joking

My mum can't stop telling inappropriate 'jokes' in inappropriate situations and this is affecting my relationship with her.

I messed up my most important exams despite being a top student for several years, and had no one to talk to other than my mum. When I told her about this she just laughed and called me an idiot and that I have no future. I was already incredibly frustrated with myself for screwing up my exams and this added fuel to the fire.

Is there something wrong with her mentality or does she has very low EQ? I just needed to talk to but she never listens/takes me seriously. This is just one of the many instances where she handles the situation in an inappropriate manner.
You can’t change someone’s mind. Just ignore it. You know your worth and your abilities and potential. For whoever calls you failure or bla bla bla whatever. Take it as a joke and get over it. Stressing on what someone says, gonna pull you backward not push you forward.

Aside of that, joking in inappropriate moments is the funniest thing. I mean like fam, just imagine yourself standing infront of your exam hall, realising you missed 4 chapters and 3 sheets. Laughing and joking would be the nicest way to handle such situation.

Your mom joking about such stuffs doesn’t mean she has low IQ or whatever. Different people got different ways to deal with situations. You just gotta understand the way.
Such a horrible joke. ppl do the meanest thing and then cover it up as a joke
Reply 3
Original post by keptinside
You can’t change someone’s mind. Just ignore it. You know your worth and your abilities and potential. For whoever calls you failure or bla bla bla whatever. Take it as a joke and get over it. Stressing on what someone says, gonna pull you backward not push you forward.

Aside of that, joking in inappropriate moments is the funniest thing. I mean like fam, just imagine yourself standing infront of your exam hall, realising you missed 4 chapters and 3 sheets. Laughing and joking would be the nicest way to handle such situation.

Your mom joking about such stuffs doesn’t mean she has low IQ or whatever. Different people got different ways to deal with situations. You just gotta understand the way.

But she should know when to listen and give me advice, no? I was incredibly frustrated and just wanted to vent. I don't think you understand the situation and it is not funny to laugh at someone who failed to perform well in exams that can change their life. It's not a joke when it's not funny. I find it hard to seriously talk to her about my future, relationships, mental well-being etc. without having the urge to strangle her to death.
Original post by Anonymous
But she should know when to listen and give me advice, no? I was incredibly frustrated and just wanted to vent. I don't think you understand the situation and it is not funny to laugh at someone who failed to perform well in exams that can change their life. It's not a joke when it's not funny. I find it hard to seriously talk to her about my future, relationships, mental well-being etc. without having the urge to strangle her to death.

You didn’t get the part about joking. Long story short, you can just know things aren’t so well, and you’d just laugh. It’s a way to get over it without overthinking.

Sure I’d never be able to understand you, no one would actually; because we aren’t you. But you are the only one to know your mom. If she has always been like this and you’re just stressing about it now, then there is nothing to be done. If she has changed recently and she has always been listening to you before. Then she’s probably facing hardships and think she might not be able to help you with your things, so she dodges it by laughing or joking.

Ps I didn’t mention anything about laughing at someone failing or performing bad. I on the other hand think as well, no one would be able to help you with this. Few words won’t change anything. Whatever happened in the past is over and you can’t change it. There is no point crying on the spoilt milk.

So yea, guess about your studies, you can just try and eliminate your barriers, since you said you used to do well in the several years before. Then you have the potential to keep doing well. Just try to figure which barrier causes you to stumble, and try to get rid of it or fix it. You’re gonna get back on your track as you used to. It’s pretty normal to swerve out of the track, so don’t overthink about the past and what you haven’t done well, as far as you can get back to the track. It’s all good.

GL
Reply 5
i think ur mum is a ******** but u should sit her down and have a serious chat with her and tell her how it makes u feel. If she continues accept what kind of person she is (im sorry) and focus on progressing without her support

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending