Not sure which uni - Bristol or Liverpool?? Watch

izzychloe247
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, so basically I want to study geography at uni but want to avoid human geography where possible as I’m only really interested in physical geography, and I’m better at sciences in general. So I looked at Bristol uni at the open day a few weeks ago and I loved the uni and the city, and the course was alright. I also went to Liverpool open day last week and found the course really interesting because there’s a more practical element to it and you get loads of optional modules too. However I didn’t really get the chance to look around the city.
Anyway, my dilemma is that people generally have been saying Bristol is a really good uni, and Liverpool not so much, but I prefer the course at Liverpool. Also, to me, Bristol seemed like a really nice place to live in, but I didn’t look around Liverpool city so I can’t really compare it? I’m just not really sure which one to go for - any advice??
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Liverpool is also a good uni and well respected- I don't like using Russell Group as a proxy for good, but they are both Russell Group universities with a long history and whilst Bristol probably does have a slightly stronger reputation, people saying Liverpool isn't a "good" university don't really know what they're talking about. Besides this, university reputation/ranking doesn't really have much effect on you as an undergraduate, so it shouldn't be a key factor in your decision making.

If you like the course at Liverpool, that should be a strong factor in your decision.

Bristol is a great city, but it's also very expensive to live in! Sometimes students in Bristol end up living quite far out in second/third year because of what they can afford. This can affect how much they're really able to enjoy the city. Liverpool is cheaper, and from what I've heard, you could have a great student experience there too- but if visiting the city is important to you, then can you arrange another visit to the city?
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Liverpool is also a good uni and well respected- I don't like using Russell Group as a proxy for good, but they are both Russell Group universities with a long history and whilst Bristol probably does have a slightly stronger reputation, people saying Liverpool isn't a "good" university don't really know what they're talking about. Besides this, university reputation/ranking doesn't really have much effect on you as an undergraduate, so it shouldn't be a key factor in your decision making.

If you like the course at Liverpool, that should be a strong factor in your decision.

Bristol is a great city, but it's also very expensive to live in! Sometimes students in Bristol end up living quite far out in second/third year because of what they can afford. This can affect how much they're really able to enjoy the city. Liverpool is cheaper, and from what I've heard, you could have a great student experience there too- but if visiting the city is important to you, then can you arrange another visit to the city?
You have a good point to be honest!! I suppose it’s not like employers check university rankings when interviewing people.
What I found weird was the fact that the first year accommodation for Liverpool was actually fairly expensive seeing as everyone calls Liverpool cheap, some were even more expensive than Bristol, but then again I think it’s just because it’s all fairly new and modern. Also that’s only for first year and like you said, houses in second/third year are important too.
I’ve heard a lot about a better student experience in Liverpool too, and to be honest I visited the student unions in both places and the one in Bristol didn’t seem as good!!
I’d love to visit Liverpool again just to get a sense of the city, I did actually go 2 years ago but can’t really remember anything much.!The only issue is that I’m from Nottingham area so it’s quite a journey, and expensive on the train, will have to bribe my parents to take me or something!!
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Izzyf14)
You have a good point to be honest!! I suppose it’s not like employers check university rankings when interviewing people.
What I found weird was the fact that the first year accommodation for Liverpool was actually fairly expensive seeing as everyone calls Liverpool cheap, some were even more expensive than Bristol, but then again I think it’s just because it’s all fairly new and modern. Also that’s only for first year and like you said, houses in second/third year are important too.
I’ve heard a lot about a better student experience in Liverpool too, and to be honest I visited the student unions in both places and the one in Bristol didn’t seem as good!!
I’d love to visit Liverpool again just to get a sense of the city, I did actually go 2 years ago but can’t really remember anything much.!The only issue is that I’m from Nottingham area so it’s quite a journey, and expensive on the train, will have to bribe my parents to take me or something!!
You also don't have to live in uni owned halls, even in first year- a lot of them are pretty overpriced!
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
You also don't have to live in uni owned halls, even in first year- a lot of them are pretty overpriced!
Really? I didn’t even realise other ones existed, will have to do some more research!!
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Really? I didn’t even realise other ones existed, will have to do some more research!!
Yeah, there are other options, including private halls or living in a shared house in your first year. There are upsides and downsides with all options obviously, but they may well be cheaper than uni owned halls.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi, so basically I want to study geography at uni but want to avoid human geography where possible as I’m only really interested in physical geography, and I’m better at sciences in general. So I looked at Bristol uni at the open day a few weeks ago and I loved the uni and the city, and the course was alright. I also went to Liverpool open day last week and found the course really interesting because there’s a more practical element to it and you get loads of optional modules too. However I didn’t really get the chance to look around the city.
Anyway, my dilemma is that people generally have been saying Bristol is a really good uni, and Liverpool not so much, but I prefer the course at Liverpool. Also, to me, Bristol seemed like a really nice place to live in, but I didn’t look around Liverpool city so I can’t really compare it? I’m just not really sure which one to go for - any advice??
You have 5 choices on the UCAS form so can't you put them both down as you liked them both for different reasons? If they make you offers they will both invite you to applicant days. It would be useful to visit Liverpool again so that this time you can make sure you spend some time exploring the city as well as the uni.
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
if you love a city with character and personality - bristol. I've lived in many cities around the uk before and bristol certainly gives off something different that is nowhere else. as for rankings, it REALLY doesn't matter, but if you must they are both Russel. from my one yr at bristol I've learnt that your uni doesn't matter, it's your grades, and most importantly experiences. so whatever uni you go to, make sure to sign up for summer volunteering/internships/jobs/work exp, anything.
I've never lived in Liverpool but my advice is to go and gauge the vibe of the it first, i am big advocate for living in a city that feels right for you, for e.g I could not live in Sheffield for example - it's just so...ugly and grey.
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
Yeah, there are other options, including private halls or living in a shared house in your first year. There are upsides and downsides with all options obviously, but they may well be cheaper than uni owned halls.
I’ll look into it, thanks for letting me know!!
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
You have 5 choices on the UCAS form so can't you put them both down as you liked them both for different reasons? If they make you offers they will both invite you to applicant days. It would be useful to visit Liverpool again so that this time you can make sure you spend some time exploring the city as well as the uni.
Yeah you’re right, I think it’s just deciding which one to put as my firm option, I mean I literally have a year to go so I guess I have a while to decide
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yeah you’re right, I think it’s just deciding which one to put as my firm option, I mean I literally have a year to go so I guess I have a while to decide
You won't need to decide which uni to Firm and Insure for several months and as I say will have had the opportunity to visit both again at applicant days before you need to make a final decision
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
(Original post by ihatePE)
if you love a city with character and personality - bristol. I've lived in many cities around the uk before and bristol certainly gives off something different that is nowhere else. as for rankings, it REALLY doesn't matter, but if you must they are both Russel. from my one yr at bristol I've learnt that your uni doesn't matter, it's your grades, and most importantly experiences. so whatever uni you go to, make sure to sign up for summer volunteering/internships/jobs/work exp, anything.
I've never lived in Liverpool but my advice is to go and gauge the vibe of the it first, i am big advocate for living in a city that feels right for you, for e.g I could not live in Sheffield for example - it's just so...ugly and grey.
Yeah I completely agree with you, when I went to Bristol I absolutely loved it, it’s just sad that the course didn’t appeal to me as much. I’ve heard a lot about Liverpool as a city being good for students as it’s cheap and there’s a lot to do but I guess it depends on how you feel about it, like you said!!
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
You won't need to decide which uni to Firm and Insure for several months and as I say will have had the opportunity to visit both again at applicant days before you need to make a final decision
Yeah you’re right, just wish I wasn’t so indecisive aha
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by ihatePE)
Do you know what, that just shows how important it is to visit uni cities before putting them on your UCAS form because everyone's different. I really liked the city of Sheffield when we visited so it just proves you can't go by what other people say, you have to find out which city appeals to you the most
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
Do you know what, that just shows how important it is to visit uni cities before putting them on your UCAS form because everyone's different. I really liked the city of Sheffield when we visited so it just proves you can't go by what other people say, you have to find out which city appeals to you the most
Yeah I mean personally I’ve never been to Sheffield just Meadowhall so couldn’t say but I agree. I guess it just depends on what you’re looking for and what you enjoy
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
How to Avoid 5 Rejections - lots of useful stuff about how to make 5 sensible choices : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
Roisin_x
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I’d say apply to both, Bristol is typically hard to get an offer from. I firmed Liverpool afterseeing the city. Before that I was adamant I would firm Sheffield. The city of Liverpool was really friendly and lively. Everyone I know who goes there raves about the nightlife.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Roisin_x)
Bristol is typically hard to get an offer from.
Not anymore - they have dropped entry grades.
Now the standard offer is only AAA or AAB with two sciences.
Roisin_x
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Ahh really. I think who they select is hard. I know someone who got into Durham/Oxford but not Bristol. That could just be a one off though x
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Not anymore - they have dropped entry grades.
Now the standard offer is only AAA or AAB with two sciences.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Roisin_x)
Ahh really. I think who they select is hard. I know someone who got into Durham/Oxford but not Bristol. That could just be a one off though x
Probably because their PS was either inappropriate for Bristol (its science based) or their overall academic profile was weak. Or they had lower predictions than they are letting on and didnt meet the grade requirements. It isn't 'hard' if you actually do some research before you apply .....
Last edited by returnmigrant; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (285)
60.51%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.67%