GLS Training Contract applications (2019) Watch

Snookered
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
This is now open. Good luck if you’re applying.

Can’t believe there are only 2 spots available for Leeds 😪
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Garmin1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Only 3 weeks to apply this year, usually it's the whole month. Hoping it's third time lucky for me.

I have just called the recruitment team with a query and the advisor started rambling about the AA and asked me what job I was interested in with the AA. I explained that my question was about Government Legal Trainee contracts and they gave me a telephone number 0117 923 4417 to call.

This was, er, the number I had called in the first place.

I told them that and they said that I had come through to the wrong team (?????) before hanging up when I asked to speak to a manager!!!

Looks like the Government Legal Profession is now sponsored by the AA. Which is just as well because the system seems to have broken down!!!
Law_hopeful2016
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm applying to the GLS again this year as well. This is my third time applying. Good luck to everyone applying!
Snookered
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Law_hopeful2016)
I'm applying to the GLS again this year as well. This is my third time applying. Good luck to everyone applying!
This is my third time as well. Last year got sifted after the VRT ☹️
Droog96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think there will be a lot of people passing the SJT this year:
From the viral emails and messages on WhatsApp groups, I think that half the people who are going to apply know the answers already!

I got copied on an email that gave the answer key, which I won't post here for obvious reasons, but I can say that there are 22 points up for grabs from the 15 questions and all questions carry at least 1 mark, but about half carry 2.

What the advice is that candidates answer following the key, then adjust answers on no more than 2 random questions. That will give you a score of at least 18, but no more than 20. Guaranteed to get you through past the usual cut-off of 14-16 and not too high to arouse suspicion!
Snookered
Rep:
?
This is my 3rd time applying and each year the SJT has been exactly the same - which is pretty ridiculous.

I kept a copy of my application from last year (which passed the SJT) and just rehashed those answers.

If more folks get the answers right this year then I guess I might not get through this year.

Oh well, here’s hoping...
Law_hopeful2016
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Last year I got sifted after the CRT. Don't know why I bother doing these tests because they're such a nightmare! Have no idea how I'll do this year. I didn't apply last year, but I gathered it was quite competitive?

(Original post by Snookered)
This is my third time as well. Last year got sifted after the VRT ☹️
Snookered
Rep:
?
Last year I got sifted after the CRT. Don't know why I bother doing these tests because they're such a nightmare! Have no idea how I'll do this year. I didn't apply last year, but I gathered it was quite competitive?
I think it’s always competitive - something like 3000 apps for 60 - 70 spots.

I’m applying for Leeds - only two spots there, so it’s a loooooong shot 🤣
Law_hopeful2016
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's still worth trying though. I say this even though I'm contemplating not applying again if I don't get to an AC this year. When I went to an Open Day for HMRC, all the lawyers on the panel said it took the three times before they actually got the TC. A friend of a friend did her pupillage with the GLS and she met people who had to try 5 times before they got it.

I think it’s always competitive - something like 3000 apps for 60 - 70 spots.

I’m applying for Leeds - only two spots there, so it’s a loooooong shot 🤣
Snookered
Rep:
?
It's still worth trying though. I say this even though I'm contemplating not applying again if I don't get to an AC this year. When I went to an Open Day for HMRC, all the lawyers on the panel said it took the three times before they actually got the TC. A friend of a friend did her pupillage with the GLS and she met people who had to try 5 times before they got it.

Do you apply for any other TCs?

I’m going to the HMRC open day in Manchester in August.

If I don’t make it this year then I’ll just keep trying hahaha
Law_hopeful2016
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah, I've applied for other TCs. I haven't been successful, but I've managed to get to an AC for each of my applications - I didn't put a lot of them in because I also work full time. But the GLS is the one that I want tbh. But trying to manage my expectations as well cos I know the CRT will be difficult.
Do you apply for any other TCs?

I’m going to the HMRC open day in Manchester in August.

If I don’t make it this year then I’ll just keep trying hahaha
Droog96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The questions are indeed exactly the same as last year and the answers are in exactly the same order. Usually, if they don't swap out questions they will definitely switch the answers around. It looks like they've got complacent this year and cut a few corners.

Not to mention careless in allowing a copy of the answers to leak out. And to still allow the test to be used, knowing the whole process has been undermined.

This is my 3rd time applying and each year the SJT has been exactly the same - which is pretty ridiculous.

I kept a copy of my application from last year (which passed the SJT) and just rehashed those answers.

If more folks get the answers right this year then I guess I might not get through this year.

Oh well, here’s hoping...
Droog96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think there must have been some sort of Civil Service cost cutting this year because everything seems a bit slap-dash. Even the application form refers to "principle subject" etc.Not what you expect with a high quality organization with a strong reputation.

Will probably put my application in over the weekend. Guaranteed score of at least 18 and then onwards to the Verbal Test

(Original post by Garmin1)
Only 3 weeks to apply this year, usually it's the whole month. Hoping it's third time lucky for me.

I have just called the recruitment team with a query and the advisor started rambling about the AA and asked me what job I was interested in with the AA. I explained that my question was about Government Legal Trainee contracts and they gave me a telephone number 0117 923 4417 to call.

This was, er, the number I had called in the first place.

I told them that and they said that I had come through to the wrong team (?????) before hanging up when I asked to speak to a manager!!!

Looks like the Government Legal Profession is now sponsored by the AA. Which is just as well because the system seems to have broken down!!!
VeeVeeLee
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just finalized my application with a cheeky 18 . Looking forwards to my invitation to the verbal reasoning test
(Original post by Droog96)
I think there must have been some sort of Civil Service cost cutting this year because everything seems a bit slap-dash. Even the application form refers to "principle subject" etc.Not what you expect with a high quality organization with a strong reputation.

Will probably put my application in over the weekend. Guaranteed score of at least 18 and then onwards to the Verbal Test
Snookered
Rep:
?
How do folks know that these answers floating about online are legit?

Could it be that they’re not legit?
VeeVeeLee
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Its a good question,as it could in theory be a massive double bluff...

..........BUT.........someone from our uni is on a work placement at the firm where the systems are built and has been telling us it has been chaos building the system and they did about 15 versions before they sorted it. There are also problems with the final assessment centres because the old systems were decommisssioned (nobody realised it was happening ( ) so loads of work, so little time. Because The SJT test is the final part to build and it is a load more work to then rearrange the questions and answers so they just chucked it in as the same as last year. Someone got hold of the key and copied it and passed it to friends in the law dept. Someone at uni put it on an email and the rest as they say is history. A few honest people in our uni reported in back to the company at the end of June but they havent even replied. They must just be hoping that it will all go away :eek:
Basically once you read the questions and then see the answers on the key it all falls into place. Reading through you can see the pattern of the profile of the person they want. They are definately legit.
As a teaser Q's 5 and 8 are 1 point each only for getting the Least favourable option. On these Q's it doesnt matter what you select for Most favourable.

I will PM you the email and you can see what I mean. I didnt want to use it myself but no choice really as Ill not get through otherwise with all the high scores there will now be.I reckon it must run into the thousands who have seen it so theres no other choice really I got sent the email a second time from a guy I know in Canada so its definitely travelling!!

How do folks know that these answers floating about online are legit?

Could it be that they’re not legit?
Snookered
Rep:
?
(Original post by VeeVeeLee)
Its a good question,as it could in theory be a massive double bluff...

..........BUT.........someone from our uni is on a work placement at the firm where the systems are built and has been telling us it has been chaos building the system and they did about 15 versions before they sorted it. There are also problems with the final assessment centres because the old systems were decommisssioned (nobody realised it was happening ( ) so loads of work, so little time. Because The SJT test is the final part to build and it is a load more work to then rearrange the questions and answers so they just chucked it in as the same as last year. Someone got hold of the key and copied it and passed it to friends in the law dept. Someone at uni put it on an email and the rest as they say is history. A few honest people in our uni reported in back to the company at the end of June but they havent even replied. They must just be hoping that it will all go away :eek:
Basically once you read the questions and then see the answers on the key it all falls into place. Reading through you can see the pattern of the profile of the person they want. They are definately legit.
As a teaser Q's 5 and 8 are 1 point each only for getting the Least favourable option. On these Q's it doesnt matter what you select for Most favourable.

I will PM you the email and you can see what I mean. I didnt want to use it myself but no choice really as Ill not get through otherwise with all the high scores there will now be.I reckon it must run into the thousands who have seen it so theres no other choice really I got sent the email a second time from a guy I know in Canada so its definitely travelling!!
Well that’s very hectic.

The SJT hasn’t changed at all for three years in a row - methinks the GLS needs to sort it out...
VeeVeeLee
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I agree. Its all been clearly shambolic but the worst thing is that someone knew about the problems and just covered them up. Its big time dishonesty really. They shouldve raised a big red flag, got whatever people in to get the system right or even delayed it for a short time to sort it all. And definately changed the questions because they knew in June that it was all out there
They just let it carry on, but i suppose its jobs for the boys. No accounability. Theyll just all sit there in the GLS and forget it ever happened :mad:
Not sure why I applied really?
Well that’s very hectic.

The SJT hasn’t changed at all for three years in a row - methinks the GLS needs to sort it out...
sandy2312
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am confused about the application, do we need to sign up for an LPC before applying for the GLS? How did others go about answering that question if you are yet to apply for an LPC but are a graduate?
Snookered
Rep:
?
(Original post by sandy2312)
I am confused about the application, do we need to sign up for an LPC before applying for the GLS? How did others go about answering that question if you are yet to apply for an LPC but are a graduate?
You don’t need to sign up before you apply, but you do need to have completed it before the TC starts.

If I wasn’t enrolled for the LPC yet and was planning on starting a TC in 2021 - I’d just put down where I plan to enrol and when I plan to start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads