Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last year I had 10 hours of driving lessons with BSM in the form of 5 2 hours long lessons.

I am determined to learn to drive this summer but I am not sure whether to change schools and have hour long lessons.

Which would benefit me most shorter more frequent lessons or 1 2 hours long lesson per week?

ReputationRep:
    1 Hour lessons.

And plus BSM aren't that great. Go for an independent Instructor.

ReputationRep:
    I went for 1.5 hours. Compromise (y)

ReputationRep:
    I found it too difficult to concentrate for 2 hours solid. But when you've passed you'll have to be able to, so I had 2 hour lessons as good practice.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing 2 hour lessons with AA seems ok so far even though ive only had 1 but booked about 12 so 6 2 hours. it felt to me that the longer the lesson the more you could get done.

ReputationRep:
    I started with 1hour lessons until my instructor thought i was good enough to drive over to the test routes, and that required a 2hr lesson as it was 30mins drive to test route. So then on I tended to have 2hours, or if i was short on time that week I'd have 90 mins or and hour, and stick to the local area.

Get an independent instructor and you'll find you can be really flexible and the lessons can be the length that suits you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caliowin)
    I started with 1hour lessons until my instructor thought i was good enough to drive over to the test routes, and that required a 2hr lesson as it was 30mins drive to test route. So then on I tended to have 2hours, or if i was short on time that week I'd have 90 mins or and hour, and stick to the local area.

Get an independent instructor and you'll find you can be really flexible and the lessons can be the length that suits you.
    Yeah, I had 1 hour lessons until I started doing test routes, then had doubles for the 4 weeks or so before my test.

ReputationRep:
    It's strange as my sister told me she had 1 hour lessons, however since I started I have been with BSM and done 2 hour lessons and after 3 lessons I am already infront of her 8.
    I feel it's good to drive and I enjoy it so I go for 2 hours.

ReputationRep:
    2 hours ftw. Especially in my area where the test route is in a town 15 minutes away. Most had lessons where they spent 30 minutes going to and fro and spent 30 minutes learning and practicing.

ReputationRep:
    I've had 20 lessons now, and only 2 2 hour lessons. I had my first 2 hour lesson as my 2nd/3rd lesson/hours training and I found that really beneficial to start me off driving as I had no prior experience. However, I do find that 2 hour lessons are just a tad too long. I started to lose concentration. I would say, if you can 90 min lessons at most, but if you have the money to spend get 2 1 hour lessons a week.

And as others have said, don't go with AA or BSM. Get a private, or a small local motoring school with only a few instructors. These seem to be better quality, more personal and more flexible with your instructor only a phonecall away.

Also, private is cheaper. AA and BSM is what.. £22, £23? Mines £145 for a block of 10 lessons, or £19 an hour (was £18, but recently gone up due to diesel prices)

ReputationRep:
    2 hour lessons to start with.

Once you feel confident enough to start driving your parents car, reduce it to 1 hour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocking-Rob)

Once you feel confident enough to start driving your parents car, reduce it to 1 hour
    Lol, I think the opposite.
    1 hour to start with, as it can be pretty intense at first and you can get a bit bowled over with anything more than an hour.
    2 hours as you improve, so you can fit more stuff in

Also, find a different driving school to BSM. They are SO expensive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocking-Rob)

Some of us can't afford the £1300pa insurance premium, especially compared to my parents current £250pa premium.

ReputationRep:
    I have 1 hr lessons, just for the pure point that after a 2hr lesson i start to get bored, and have to talk to my instructor for longer, i think she finds me boring lol

ReputationRep:
    i say do it with BSM, as the instructors try their best to make you pass, within the shortest amount of time.. because they dont get paid more if you have more lessons with them, but private instructors do, therefore they try to make things longer and have more lessons, they even teach you the wrong thing sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    imo private intsructors are better (and cheaper)
    i used to do hour long ones, but then my instructor moved further away, and said she could only do 2 hour lessons (petrol price and stuff)
    i find the 2 hour lessons are better
    get more done in them...

btw...what's wrong with the 30th of feb? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tami*)
    btw...what's wrong with the 30th of feb? :p:
    All sorts of awful stuff happens then

ReputationRep:
    Use an independent! BSM are such a rip off :|.

I did one hour lessons, except for 3 2 hours lessons during test week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys.)
    All sorts of awful stuff happens then
    fook it...*blonde moment*

too much revising does wonders for the brain :p:

ReputationRep:
    All I'm doing is 2 hour lessons.

1 hour wouldn't be enough for me.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.