The Student Room Group

Unis without examinations?

Hi everyone,

I'm an Australian senior high school student who is interested in studying in the UK. I'm still very new to this process of researching universities and courses, so I came here.

I have severe exam anxiety, and I'm interested in looking for universities who primarily focus on course work. So far, I have found the University of East Anglia and it looks promising, but I wanted to find other universities with similar options.

So, are there any universities without examinations that primarily focus on course work?

Thanks in advance.

[I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread, I only just signed up to TSR]
Original post by Shenie
Hi everyone,

I'm an Australian senior high school student who is interested in studying in the UK. I'm still very new to this process of researching universities and courses, so I came here.

I have severe exam anxiety, and I'm interested in looking for universities who primarily focus on course work. So far, I have found the University of East Anglia and it looks promising, but I wanted to find other universities with similar options.

So, are there any universities without examinations that primarily focus on course work?

Thanks in advance.

Which degree course are you interested in?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Which degree course are you interested in?

I'm not 100% certain just yet, but I'm looking into English or Arts & Social Humanities courses.
At the moment I'm looking into:
- Philosophy
- English Literature
- Creative Writing & Screenwriting
- History (not specific at the moment)
- Visual Arts (not specific at the moment)

I'm just leaning towards my interests and what I'm studying at the moment, in my Australian WACE curriculum. The subjects I'm currently studying for, and will have my uni exams based on in November are; Modern History, Visual Arts, English, Human Biology and Economics.
Original post by Shenie
I'm not 100% certain just yet, but I'm looking into English or Arts & Social Humanities courses.
- Philosophy
- English Literature

I'm just leaning towards my interests and what I'm studying at the moment, in my Australian WACE curriculum. The subjects I'm currently studying for, and will have my uni exams based on in November are; Modern History, Visual Arts, English, Human Biology and Economics.

Look at what unistats says for different courses they are quite accurate in what they say for what kind of assessments universities use general
Reply 4
Look at what unistats says for different courses they are quite accurate in what they say for what kind of assessments universities use general

Ok, thank you. Do you know any specific universities though?
Original post by Shenie
Ok, thank you. Do you know any specific universities though?

Not off the top of my head, I m away from my laptop at the moment but I shall look them up for your this evening :smile:
Reply 6
Not off the top of my head, I m away from my laptop at the moment but I shall look them up for your this evening :smile:

Thank you so much! :u:
Original post by Shenie
Thank you so much! :u:

i m sorry i'm struggling to find any without exams, if you have your anxiety diagonsed you could get reasonable adjustments to the exams.
Reply 8
i m sorry i'm struggling to find any without exams, if you have your anxiety diagonsed you could get reasonable adjustments to the exams.

That is ok! I appreciate taking your time to search universities for me. I do not have my anxiety diagnosed yet, but I will consider it.

Thanks again!
Original post by Shenie
- Philosophy
- English Literature

It may be difficult to find courses with zero exams, especially in History and Philosophy. Your best bet is to look for universities where the exam to coursework % is tipped in coursework's favour, but this might not be the same for each academic year.
Some exams are inevitable. Most universities complete a set of modules in the first year and then you are able to select most of your modules second and third year based on your interests. You can select your modules based on assessment type, I know people that had no exams in third year by their choice.
Original post by Shenie
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Original post by Shenie
- Philosophy
- English Literature

Hi there @Shenie [br] [br] From what I have read you seem to be looking for a creative essay-based course with limited or no exams. Here are YSJ we have a number of courses that might be suited to you that do this!

- Our Religion, Philosophy and Ethics BA (Hons) does not contain exams, and instead uses Essays, Group or individual presentations, Reflective writing, Articles, Exhibitions, and posters or Portfolios to assess you. I myself am on an MA course within the religion and philosophy department, so should you have any questions relating to this I would be more than happy to answer them for you!
- Our English Literature BA (Hons) promises no exams and is entirely made of coursework. This can be essays or other forms of coursework-based assessment.
- Similarly, Creative Writing BA (Hons), Film Studies BA (Hons), Graphic Design BA (Hons) and many other courses promise to be 100% coursework based.
- Our History BA (Hons) does however use exams to assess your work and progress.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask!
If I have captured your interest we also have Open Days available online where you can ask staff, students and other ambassadors about the university and courses!
All the best,
Cat, York St John University Student Ambassador
Original post by Nada333
Did you find any university without exams??

Hi there @Nada333

I don't know if you are looking for an exam-less course, if you are, here at YSJ we have an extensive range of course that are 100% coursework! I wonder if my previous comment is of interestest to yourself!

Original post by Cat Tonge (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hi there @Shenie [br] [br] From what I have read you seem to be looking for a creative essay-based course with limited or no exams. Here are YSJ we have a number of courses that might be suited to you that do this!

- Our Religion, Philosophy and Ethics BA (Hons) does not contain exams, and instead uses Essays, Group or individual presentations, Reflective writing, Articles, Exhibitions, and posters or Portfolios to assess you. I myself am on an MA course within the religion and philosophy department, so should you have any questions relating to this I would be more than happy to answer them for you!
- Our English Literature BA (Hons) promises no exams and is entirely made of coursework. This can be essays or other forms of coursework-based assessment.
- Similarly, Creative Writing BA (Hons), Film Studies BA (Hons), Graphic Design BA (Hons) and many other courses promise to be 100% coursework based.
- Our History BA (Hons) does however use exams to assess your work and progress.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask!
If I have captured your interest we also have Open Days available online where you can ask staff, students and other ambassadors about the university and courses!
All the best,

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
I hope this helps and all the best,
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest