8GB

Minimum storage requirement
256 GB (512 GB max)

Weight limit
Around 1.5kg (not sure)

Used for playing games?
Yes

If yes, what games?
Minecraft (maybe with some mods), Don't Starve, Garry's Mod, Colony Survival, Left 4 Dead (1+2), The Sims 4

Touchscreen needed?
No

Are there any specific ports you need?
At least 2 USB ports, doesn't need to be super fast as long as it works for most (if not all) cables

What devices do you have currently?
iPhone 5S, iPad mini (1st gen), iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011), Xbox One S

Laptops researched:
Laptop 1 - https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=4UG09EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

Laptop 2 -

Laptop 3 -

Additional Comments:
I have been gifted £1000 by my family to spend on a new laptop but I'm told my course comes with a lot of additional costs, so I would rather spend below £750 and have this extra money as back-up just in case (also I have difficulty with justifying spending large amounts of money on myself so I want to feel really confident in the purchase I make)
I've been looking into different laptops for several months now and the one linked above is the only one I feel is right for a good price, however my step-dad said he's had bad experiences with HP laptops and suggested looking into other brands, does anyone else advise avoiding HP (or even recommend them over other brands)?
I think most of the software needed for my course will be available on computers at uni so I expect to use this laptop mostly for gaming and occasional research, which is partly why I don't want to spend too much money on it.
(edited 4 years ago)
HP Dell Lenovo all make good business laptops.
Consumer laptops can be unimpressive - eg too cheap on the internal bits or nasty plasticky keyboard.

If it comes with Windows 10 Home it is a consumer laptop.
Reply 2
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
HP Dell Lenovo all make good business laptops.
Consumer laptops can be unimpressive - eg too cheap on the internal bits or nasty plasticky keyboard.

If it comes with Windows 10 Home it is a consumer laptop.

ah okay, i'll keep that in mind, thanks! currently looking into lenovo laptops as i've heard they're quite good and so far i'm impressed :h:
Reply 3
go for Apple Macbook Pro if you have a nice budget otherwise my Choose for windows laptop would be HP envy 17.:smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by awaisgul
go for Apple Macbook Pro if you have a nice budget otherwise my Choose for windows laptop would be HP envy 17.

Do people not read the posts in this forum anymore?

The OP has a budget of £1000 and they would rather spend less, and wants a laptop for playing games. MacBook Pros start at £1250 and are woefully suited to gaming.

"Get a MacBook!" is not the all-encompassing laptop recommendation solution some apple users seem to think it is.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by onocleqs
onocleqs's Laptop recommendation thread

Budget
£1000

Subject being studied
BA Architecture

Software that will be used
Microsoft Office, Steam

Screen size
14 inches

Operating system preference
Windows

Minimum amount of RAM
8GB

Minimum storage requirement
256 GB (512 GB max)

Weight limit
Around 1.5kg (not sure)

Used for playing games?
Yes

If yes, what games?
Minecraft (maybe with some mods), Don't Starve, Garry's Mod, Colony Survival, Left 4 Dead (1+2), The Sims 4

Touchscreen needed?
No

Are there any specific ports you need?
At least 2 USB ports, doesn't need to be super fast as long as it works for most (if not all) cables

What devices do you have currently?
iPhone 5S, iPad mini (1st gen), iMac (2015 model, about 20 inches?), Xbox One S

Laptops researched:
Laptop 1 - https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=4UG09EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

Laptop 2 -

Laptop 3 -

Additional Comments:
I have been gifted £1000 by my family to spend on a new laptop but I'm told my course comes with a lot of additional costs, so I would rather spend below £750 and have this extra money as back-up just in case (also I have difficulty with justifying spending large amounts of money on myself so I want to feel really confident in the purchase I make)
I've been looking into different laptops for several months now and the one linked above is the only one I feel is right for a good price, however my step-dad said he's had bad experiences with HP laptops and suggested looking into other brands, does anyone else advise avoiding HP (or even recommend them over other brands)?
I think most of the software needed for my course will be available on computers at uni so I expect to use this laptop mostly for gaming and occasional research, which is partly why I don't want to spend too much money on it.

Hey Look at something that come with Win 10 pro, also with a dedicated graphics card.
Reply 6
oh, I am really sorry then. accept my apology.
Reply 7
Original post by Bluemonkey14
Hey Look at something that come with Win 10 pro, also with a dedicated graphics card.

will do, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending