The Student Room Group

Is a PhD in law worth it?

Hi, I completed my undergraduate in English Literature in 2018, I then decided to take a leap of faith and complete my LLM in Human Rights and Humanitarian (at the same university) which I am thankful I did because I enjoy it so much more than my undergraduate and I am getting higher marks. I am really enjoying my university and especially enjoying the subject. I am now in a position where I would like to continue my work in the field but rather do research than practice the subject. Is it worth me doing a PhD in law?
Original post by Abbie__yeo
Hi, I completed my undergraduate in English Literature in 2018, I then decided to take a leap of faith and complete my LLM in Human Rights and Humanitarian (at the same university) which I am thankful I did because I enjoy it so much more than my undergraduate and I am getting higher marks. I am really enjoying my university and especially enjoying the subject. I am now in a position where I would like to continue my work in the field but rather do research than practice the subject. Is it worth me doing a PhD in law?

Is it possible for you to enter into research in law without a PhD? Have you looked into what kind of jobs you can get with your current qualifications?
Hi, I am in the 2nd year of my PhD in Marketing. I think you need to ask yourself what your end goal is and work towards that. I went into a PhD, not thinking about what I was doing, and it is tough at times. That being said, if you intend to have an academic career either in lecturing, research/teaching fellow or similar then do the PhD. PhD students do often graduate and work in the industry for higher money, but it also depends on the sector. The best advice I could give is to speak to academics in the law department and find out more about what a PhD will do for you over another career option.
Original post by Abbie__yeo

How high are your marks? Are you doing much original research in law and how is that going?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending