Degree Classification Borderline

Watch this thread
Hannah.RD
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I just received my degree classification as a 2:1. I am however on the borderline for a first and would only be considered for a first if 50% of my modules are in the higher classification. This is where the problem is because I just miss out on this 50% by a module at 69%, if this was increased by 1% I would be awarded a first! I was wondering if it would be worth contacting my uni to see if they could do anything about it? I have already been told that they don't do remarking but I just feel that it is so unfair based on my other module marks that are very high firsts Has anyone else been in this situation?
Hannah.RD
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
I have now been told that nothing can be done about my classification because it’s “academic judgment”! It makes me so upset because they have already taken away a mark because of a “mistake” which makes me want to question whether their academic judgment is fair!
The only way around it would be an appeal
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show

Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Unfortunately the rules are the rules and if you don't fufil the criteria for getting a first they are not going to give you one. I appreciate that it is frustrating , especially as you were only1% away, but they have to draw a line somewhere and you have ended up just the wrong side of it.

From what you are saying, you got less than 70% overall but they look at people below and might round up if you get at least 50% of your modules over 70%. It is therefore not unfair that the didn't give you a first, annoying and frustrating yes but not unfair.

Presumably if they took away a mark for a mistake- did you made a mistake? If you did then why would that make you think that means there academic judgement isn't fair. If there was no mistake then you have grounds to question it

(Original post by Hannah.RD)
I just received my degree classification as a 2:1. I am however on the borderline for a first and would only be considered for a first if 50% of my modules are in the higher classification. This is where the problem is because I just miss out on this 50% by a module at 69%, if this was increased by 1% I would be awarded a first! I was wondering if it would be worth contacting my uni to see if they could do anything about it? I have already been told that they don't do remarking but I just feel that it is so unfair based on my other module marks that are very high firsts Has anyone else been in this situation?
Hannah.RD
Rep:
I was emailed and told that they had written down the wrong grade by mistake and my actual grade was lower. This was strange because it happened after I got in contact with them regarding my classification (before they deducted the marks I would have been above the threshold). Sorry, I realise I didn’t explain it very well!
(Original post by Anonymous)
Unfortunately the rules are the rules and if you don't fufil the criteria for getting a first they are not going to give you one. I appreciate that it is frustrating , especially as you were only1% away, but they have to draw a line somewhere and you have ended up just the wrong side of it.

From what you are saying, you got less than 70% overall but they look at people below and might round up if you get at least 50% of your modules over 70%. It is therefore not unfair that the didn't give you a first, annoying and frustrating yes but not unfair.

Presumably if they took away a mark for a mistake- did you made a mistake? If you did then why would that make you think that means there academic judgement isn't fair. If there was no mistake then you have grounds to question it
Last edited by Hannah.RD; 2 years ago
enemysoilder
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I am in a similair situation May I ask what happened to your outcome,. were u given a 1st?
Hannah.RD
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Unfortunately not, I was told there was nothing that could be done about it and my tutor would make sure he writes in my reference “just how close you are to getting a 1st”. It’s a very annoying situation but I hope you have more luck than me 😊
enemysoilder
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Unfortunately not, I was told there was nothing that could be done about it and my tutor would make sure he writes in my reference “just how close you are to getting a 1st”. It’s a very annoying situation but I hope you have more luck than me 😊
omg thats not good, i dont think there is hope for me either, unis are annoyingly strict on these things, i was thinking of telling them to remark, coz surely there is a way to get 1% more in my module, its 59% right now. ughgg hate this lol.
Hannah.RD
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I tried to ask for them to remark it but apparently because it’s based on ‘academic judgement’ it doesn’t work like that? I can’t see how it’s very fair, I just feel like unis just do what they want when it comes to marking things. There’s no harm in you asking though, things might be different with yours so fingers crossed for you.
enemysoilder
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I tried to ask for them to remark it but apparently because it’s based on ‘academic judgement’ it doesn’t work like that? I can’t see how it’s very fair, I just feel like unis just do what they want when it comes to marking things. There’s no harm in you asking though, things might be different with yours so fingers crossed for you.
true . I completely agree with you, if its academic judgement then surely that leaves it to scrutiny of more than just one examiner/marker. (idk if ur uni has multiple markers, but i believe they just have one marker). so I feel they should allow for a remark, or if grades are so close like for example in your case, they should be a tiny bit lenient, I understand why unis are strict, but realistically you getting that 1st isnt going to affect them . so u should be given the 1st imo.

i am going to ask when it comes to result day, if I just miss the grade. thanks for the response.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (8)
44.44%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
22.22%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.11%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
16.67%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads