Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    meaning I only go out at the weekends. The rest of the time I just resort to staying on the computer and watching films and the like.
    Your life is really not that different to most people at uni
    I only go out on the weekends and the rest of the time play videogames most of the time (except for exam term), lol

Regarding jobs think about WHY you are failing. Make sure your CV is perfectly presented and is clear of all spelling mistakes, and that it mentions all relevant things to paint you in a good light. Also have a good think about how you might improve your interview technique: i.e. make sure you have good eye contact, a firm handshake, and dress smartly for them. Keep trying and you will find a job.

ReputationRep:
    Look. It really depends what kinds of jobs you are going in for compared to the type of person that you are. Only intending to work for a year makes you unattractive to most employers looking for serious, long term workers. Try going in for jobs in hospitality, their generaly better than the dole and you will get to meet new people/gain skills for further employment.

ReputationRep:
    Only wasted a year.... I wasted my whole life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacecowboy_89)
    This whole year off, this gap year, was not intentional; I just ended up not getting into the universities of choice. Therefore, I intended to get a job for the year to save up funds for uni. Despite having a temp 2 week job since October 2007, I've had to go on the dole because I just can't seem to get a job anywhere. Job agencies are terrible and really just do not care about you, and I constantly find myself applying to jobs online to no avail. I've done that for a whole year now only managing to get a few interviews and failing at them.

All of my friends are either at uni or have 9 - 5 office jobs, meaning I only go out at the weekends. The rest of the time I just resort to staying on the computer and watching films and the like. I feel as though I've just wasted a year of my life.

Anyone else feel this way, or at least part of their lives? Anyone's lives as dull and depressing as mine?

Oh and the topic is not intended to be an emo entry or a sob story. :l
    Your young so it doesn't really matter that you haven't done much this year, one year out of your whole life isn't the end of the world. Try to use the experience to do well at uni, now you know what it is like to not have a decent job you won't want to drop out.
    Spend your time doing something constructive, I've been trying to learn to touch type as I've finished one of my courses.

ReputationRep:
    yes, it IS a year wasted! WHYYYY u did not get a job in a YEAR is shoking! yes, u may not get da 1st...2nd...3rd....4th....5th job, but its all bout persistance, u dnt evaaa give up! just think about it...you could of had £15,000 sittin in ur bank account...
    Even if u coont get a paid job you should of atleast tried and get sum wrk experience....
    i hate to think how you are gonna survive once you leave uni and c how HARD it reeli is gettin a grad job...

500,000 grads.... 90,000 grad jobs.....good luk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medione)
    yes, it IS a year wasted! WHYYYY u did not get a job in a YEAR is shoking! yes, u may not get da 1st...2nd...3rd....4th....5th job, but its all bout persistance, u dnt evaaa give up! just think about it...you could of had £15,000 sittin in ur bank account...
    Even if u coont get a paid job you should of atleast tried and get sum wrk experience....
    i hate to think how you are gonna survive once you leave uni and c how HARD it reeli is gettin a grad job...

WHAT?!

ReputationRep:

Your native language is not english?

ReputationRep:
    I have wasted a whole year, working 3 days a week in a supermarket, not going out and feeling generally crappy.
    I intend to change my ways before its too late!!!
    Things always get better

ReputationRep:
    Especially for Tomdale...

Yes, it is a watse of a year! Why on earth you did not get a job in a year is astonishing! Yes, you may not get the first, second, third, fourth, fifth job, but persistence is the key. You must never give up! If you think about it you could of had £15,000 in your bank account. Even if you could not get a job you should at least of tried to get some work experience. I hate to think how you are going to survive once you graduate from university and see how hard it really is getting a graduate job.

500,000 grads.....90,000 grad jobs.....good luck

ReputationRep:
    Especially for Tomdale...

Yes, it is a watse of a year! Why on earth you did not get a job in a year is astonishing! Yes, you may not get the first, second, third, fourth, fifth job, but persistence is the key. You must never give up! If you think about it you could of had £15,000 in your bank account. Even if you could not get a job you should at least of tried to get some work experience. I hate to think how you are going to survive once you graduate from university and see how hard it really is getting a graduate job.

500,000 grads.....90,000 grad jobs.....good luck
    WHAT?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacecowboy_89)
    This whole year off, this gap year, was not intentional; I just ended up not getting into the universities of choice. Therefore, I intended to get a job for the year to save up funds for uni. Despite having a temp 2 week job since October 2007, I've had to go on the dole because I just can't seem to get a job anywhere. Job agencies are terrible and really just do not care about you, and I constantly find myself applying to jobs online to no avail. I've done that for a whole year now only managing to get a few interviews and failing at them.

All of my friends are either at uni or have 9 - 5 office jobs, meaning I only go out at the weekends. The rest of the time I just resort to staying on the computer and watching films and the like. I feel as though I've just wasted a year of my life.

Anyone else feel this way, or at least part of their lives? Anyone's lives as dull and depressing as mine?

Oh and the topic is not intended to be an emo entry or a sob story. :l
    Wasted my life .... Academically? ... Yes ... Otherwise? ... No

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, psychology is really competitive for any decent kind of job so id get used to working in Hospitality if i were you.

ReputationRep:
    going to uni was a complete waste of 2 years.

ReputationRep:

Source?

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I've already wasted at least a year of my life, at university for a year studying something I hate in a place I hate. Really, I've wasted more, as if I reapply, which is what I probably should do, the next year will be a complete waste. I won't start a degree until I'm 20, when the rest of my friends are in their last year. I also kind of wasted my last year of school, as it was spent doing subjects I didn't want to do and stressing over what was to come.

Lovely depressing thread

ReputationRep:
    I feel my whole life has been a waste til now, I think only at the end of my life if I get to live to old age will it make any sense whatsoever, if at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.