SmootieChugger
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've been given the opportunity to do Astronomy for a GCSE twilight next year, and it looks really interesting. Was just wondering if it's actually any thing fun or worth taking??
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SmootieChugger)
I've been given the opportunity to do Astronomy for a GCSE twilight next year, and it looks really interesting. Was just wondering if it's actually any thing fun or worth taking??
I think this depends quite a bit on where your interests lie.

Do you enjoy astronomy? Will taking the subject introduce extra pressure on you (if it's an extra subject) or would you be happy with the workload?
SlightlySummer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That subject sounds fascinating
username4690370
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
wait- that's a thing
WhatIsLife1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did astronomy GCSE, back in 2014. The content itself was interesting, but I absolutely hated my teacher.

In the new system without coursework I imagine it’s a lot better than what I did. (Being told to go out at night and draw constellations 🤢).

Anyway: the easiest way to think about it is does physics applied to the universe around you sound interesting? If so, go for it! Do also take into account the catchup work you will have to do for your other science GCSEs though.
SmootieChugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by username4690370)
wait- that's a thing
Haha, the government gave my school money to build an observatory and start offering astronomy as a GCSE 😅
SmootieChugger
Rep:
?
The teacher that's doing it is really nice, so I'm assuming that it'll be fine. Night observations?? Probably not possible in London where you can hardly see the sky at night
(Original post by WhatIsLife1)
I did astronomy GCSE, back in 2014. The content itself was interesting, but I absolutely hated my teacher.

In the new system without coursework I imagine it’s a lot better than what I did. (Being told to go out at night and draw constellations 🤢).

Anyway: the easiest way to think about it is does physics applied to the universe around you sound interesting? If so, go for it! Do also take into account the catchup work you will have to do for your other science GCSEs though.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username4690370)
wait- that's a thing
Yes. It's only offered by Edexcel.
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Omg I wish I had that opportunity. I'm studying physics (or phys natsci depending) at uni next year, and I hope to go into astro.
Given its a minor gcse it probably has no benefit other than showing interest, although it's certainly worth taking- I bet its a really enjoyable subject. Go for it!
Last edited by MagnumKoishi; 1 year ago
kylohowell
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s pretty awful, I’ve just done the exams for the new specification, you still have to go and do observations for coursework but it doesn’t actually count towards your final grade which is annoying. If you find physics and maths fairly easy then you should be okay though, but I personally hated doing it.
violinem
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey I did it on the old spec and got an A. The coursework was a faff and hard to get a top grade in (not sure if that was due to my teacher but I did everything I could and followed all his advice and looked online and only got a low A/high B which is annoying for coursework... I know that sounds good but that's low as coursework goes) but in the new system if you have to do coursework as an above commenter said, I think it's good it's not marked for this course specifically because it means you just need to do enough work to pass the coursework.

For the actual exam, it's quite a lot of work in your own time but I used to leave lessons early for a music rehearsal and the teaching wasn't amazing so that definitely contributed. I found a good textbook (if you decide to do the course let me know and I'll find the textbook but no clue where it is right now) and basically revised astronomy for 3 days straight before the exam and was super lucky that that worked. Definitely wouldn't have got an A without the textbook.

I did it in 2017 so no clue how much the syllabus has changed but if it's twilight like ours, we could decide to drop out if we chose to so if you're interested, go to a few lessons and see what it's like!
SmootieChugger
Rep:
?
Bit too late now Already signed up, just have to see if I get a place
(Original post by kylohowell)
It’s pretty awful, I’ve just done the exams for the new specification, you still have to go and do observations for coursework but it doesn’t actually count towards your final grade which is annoying. If you find physics and maths fairly easy then you should be okay though, but I personally hated doing it.
SmootieChugger
Rep:
?
They are offering it as a twilight thank god, but because there was so much interest they made it so that there are limited spaces available. And now I think it would be harder to drop out because we were chosen to do it by our own interest.
The textbook sounds super useful
(Original post by violinem)
Hey I did it on the old spec and got an A. The coursework was a faff and hard to get a top grade in (not sure if that was due to my teacher but I did everything I could and followed all his advice and looked online and only got a low A/high B which is annoying for coursework... I know that sounds good but that's low as coursework goes) but in the new system if you have to do coursework as an above commenter said, I think it's good it's not marked for this course specifically because it means you just need to do enough work to pass the coursework.

For the actual exam, it's quite a lot of work in your own time but I used to leave lessons early for a music rehearsal and the teaching wasn't amazing so that definitely contributed. I found a good textbook (if you decide to do the course let me know and I'll find the textbook but no clue where it is right now) and basically revised astronomy for 3 days straight before the exam and was super lucky that that worked. Definitely wouldn't have got an A without the textbook.

I did it in 2017 so no clue how much the syllabus has changed but if it's twilight like ours, we could decide to drop out if we chose to so if you're interested, go to a few lessons and see what it's like!
Tomie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by kylohowell)
im gonna drop it i've had the same experience. at first i was interested in space but this topic made learning about space seem like a chore and killed my interest. the amount of times i had to draw the moon..
SmootieChugger
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Tomie)
im gonna drop it i've had the same experience. at first i was interested in space but this topic made learning about space seem like a chore and killed my interest. the amount of times i had to draw the moon..
I dropped out after the first lesson, it really was a bore and I had to sit there for an hour after school
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by WhatIsLife1)

I did astronomy 2016 and got an A in the exam but a D in the coursework cos I kept falling asleep instead of drawing...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (37)
35.92%
No (53)
51.46%
I don't know (13)
12.62%

Watched Threads