University Deposit Watch

sally_1912
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi all,
I have just received an accommodation offer from Royal Holloway but to accept i have a prepayment of £300. This is odd to me because they said they have no deposits and the prepayment will be deducted feom my accommodation fees later on. So why is it telling me to pay now in order to accept? Im confused, do I have to pay now? If I do, im in a financial situation where i can't arrange that amount of money at the moment. What should I do?
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi sally_1912,

I'm sorry that the process hasn't seemed very clear - I've had a look at the terms and conditions here:
https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/medi...final-edit.pdf

It does look as though it is possible for the fee to be waived, but I'm not sure what circumstances this in. I would definitely recommend you get in touch with our Student Services team as they handle all accommodation queries. You can call them on 01784276641 or email them at [email protected] .uk. It's probably best to call as you'll get a much faster response that way at this time of year.

I hope this helps!

Holly
(Original post by sally_1912)
Hi all,
I have just received an accommodation offer from Royal Holloway but to accept i have a prepayment of £300. This is odd to me because they said they have no deposits and the prepayment will be deducted feom my accommodation fees later on. So why is it telling me to pay now in order to accept? Im confused, do I have to pay now? If I do, im in a financial situation where i can't arrange that amount of money at the moment. What should I do?
sally_1912
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Ok thank you. If I don't get in to Royal Holloway, will I get a refund of the money back?
(Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
Hi sally_1912,

I'm sorry that the process hasn't seemed very clear - I've had a look at the terms and conditions here:
https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/medi...final-edit.pdf

It does look as though it is possible for the fee to be waived, but I'm not sure what circumstances this in. I would definitely recommend you get in touch with our Student Services team as they handle all accommodation queries. You can call them on 01784276641 or email them at [email protected] .uk. It's probably best to call as you'll get a much faster response that way at this time of year.

I hope this helps!

Holly
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi sally_1912,

If you don't meet the conditions of your offer and we are not able to offer you a place, then you would get a refund on your accommodation deposit.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Holly
Ok thank you. If I don't get in to Royal Holloway, will I get a refund of the money back?
katie091000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Holly,

If someone missed the conditions of their offer by a grade- would they be flat out rejected?
Hi sally_1912,

If you don't meet the conditions of your offer and we are not able to offer you a place, then you would get a refund on your accommodation deposit.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Holly
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi katie091000,

Whenever someone misses their offer conditions, our Admissions team take another look over their application to see if we're still able to accept them. So if a student narrowly missed by a grade, it wouldn't be automatically rejected, but it works on a case-by-case basis.

I hope this helps!

Holly
(Original post by katie091000)
Hi Holly,

If someone missed the conditions of their offer by a grade- would they be flat out rejected?
sally_1912
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi Holly,
The pre payment had been solved, thanks. About this question, if a person missed a grade or two, would there still be a chance as stats reveal that many students have been accepted for a course despite missing a few grades? For example in Law, the conditions are AAB but people had gotten in with grades like BBB.
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi sally_1912,

I'm glad to hear it was resolved!

We do always take another look at applications if students miss their offer conditions, so there is still a chance that you may be accepted. I'm afraid this is on a case-by-case basis and depends on the course applied for, so I can't be much more specific than that! We aim to make sure students hear from us via email shortly before UCAS Track updates on A Level results day.

Holly
Hi Holly,
The pre payment had been solved, thanks. About this question, if a person missed a grade or two, would there still be a chance as stats reveal that many students have been accepted for a course despite missing a few grades? For example in Law, the conditions are AAB but people had gotten in with grades like BBB.
katie091000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi Holly,

So let’s say for example you miss your conditions and you do not get a place- would it be worth contacting royal Holloway on results day and explaining some potential difficulties you’ve faced whilst taking A Levels? (Eg a very unsupportive college, having to teach yourself a lot of the content etc.) Could this potentially result in reconsideration or would this be pointless information? I’ve personally felt very unsupported by my college and have had to teach myself a lot of the content, so i wouldn’t be surprised if I miss my conditions
Hi sally_1912,

I'm glad to hear it was resolved!

We do always take another look at applications if students miss their offer conditions, so there is still a chance that you may be accepted. I'm afraid this is on a case-by-case basis and depends on the course applied for, so I can't be much more specific than that! We aim to make sure students hear from us via email shortly before UCAS Track updates on A Level results day.

Holly
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi Katie,

If you are worried about extenuating circumstances affecting your results it may be best to contact our admissions team before results day.
I've put the admissions office contact details below,
Email: [email protected]
Tel:+44 (0)1784 414944

Philippa

(Original post by katie091000)
Hi Holly,

So let’s say for example you miss your conditions and you do not get a place- would it be worth contacting royal Holloway on results day and explaining some potential difficulties you’ve faced whilst taking A Levels? (Eg a very unsupportive college, having to teach yourself a lot of the content etc.) Could this potentially result in reconsideration or would this be pointless information? I’ve personally felt very unsupported by my college and have had to teach myself a lot of the content, so i wouldn’t be surprised if I miss my conditions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads