Your thoughts about European Super League? Watch

Poll: Do you think the European Super League is a good idea?
Yes! (0)
0%
No! (6)
100%
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi football lovers! :hi:

I intended to create this thread for so long and finally here it is. And it is fine that I will do this when the Premier League got the break till August to discuss about it seriously and calmly. I am sure you have heard of this plan by the UEFA to reform the international competitions and although the Bundesliga and the Premier League said a clear 'no' to the European Super League, I don't think that was the last word in terms of this matter. And I am afraid sooner or later this league comes into being either way, no matter how many things contradict these plans. What would be the consequences of this competition? Just to name a few:
  • national leagues have no meaning once for all.
  • the gap between the riches and the poorest clubs diverges even more.
  • Transfer fees and salaries rocket upwards.
  • Prices for matches are exorbitant and too expensive by far.
  • Football reprobates to a pure event sport, loses the identification and identity with loyal and true fans to a marginal minimum.

With the globalization in football and the extension of economy worldwide with such a great potential market, that is not the end of the line and the demand in football increases, despite the facts of corruption (WC to Qatar in 2026) and the breach of the rules (Financial Fairplay!). There are enough people who still want to see football and can't stop with it. Football as running business goes on. That is why I have my doubts that the plans of UEFA can be stopped in the future, all the more it is about making money.

But what about you guys? Do you have different opinions? Share them with me right here, right now!

Last edited by Kallisto; 2 weeks ago
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A super league will happen, it's a matter of when not If, the thing that strikes me though will the sky money ever run out I.e. the financial bubble bursting?
Kallisto
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rock Fan)
A super league will happen, it's a matter of when not If, the thing that strikes me though will the sky money ever run out I.e. the financial bubble bursting?
Do you really think the bubble will burst in the future? even if there are no loyal and local fans one day who support their teams in the stadiums, it will never come to an end, as their are event and global fans everywhere in the world. I don't think football will ever come back to the roots. Is there still a place for true football anyway?
Last edited by Kallisto; 2 weeks ago
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hmmm I think theres no point when you have the champions league and the the UEFA cup. I am a fan of a UK super league though, including Scottish, Welsh, English and Northern Ireland teams, I think the idea was originally proposed in the 90s but given how much English clubs have grown financially giving them some of the best players through importing rather than being home-made (as pretty much all top players would be pre 2000s), it might be too late for that... Would've been great for football and the UK as a whole
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Do you really think the bubble will burst in the future? even if there are no loyal and local fans one day who support their teams in the stadiums, it will never come to an end, as their are event and global fans everywhere in the world. I don't think football will ever come back to the roots. Is there still a place for true football anyway?
Well surely sky haven't got unlimited money makes me think one day they will run out let's say if people were to stop subscribing to them
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well surely sky haven't got unlimited money makes me think one day they will run out let's say if people were to stop subscribing to them
TV rights have already peaked in the UK and will only go down from here. It's too expensive to have 2-3 separate subscriptions where you're still at the mercy of what a few old men in a board room decide you should watch. More and more people are cancelling every year, especially when you factor in that live TV is pretty much dead outside of reality TV, news and sport. Premier League football will be one of the main things keeping Sky afloat.

International TV rights though... that's a whole different board game.

As for a Super League I think it'll happen eventually, but as a matchgoing supporter of one of the teams who would be involved, I'm not interested. The Premier League is the best league in the world, it is not in the interests of any English club to move away from it.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
(Original post by 3121)
Hmmm I think theres no point when you have the champions league and the the UEFA cup. I am a fan of a UK super league though, including Scottish, Welsh, English and Northern Ireland teams, I think the idea was originally proposed in the 90s but given how much English clubs have grown financially giving them some of the best players through importing rather than being home-made (as pretty much all top players would be pre 2000s), it might be too late for that... Would've been great for football and the UK as a whole
In 2021 - if I am not wrong -, there is even a third European competition, called Europa League 2. So, if the UEFA revived another old competition, do you think that would prevent this crazy idea?

By the way I like your thoughts about a UK League, a good idea, really.

The question is: what has to be happen that people around the world are brassed off?
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm all for a European Super League.

The world is getting smaller with how fast information travels and how easy it is to travel. Who doesn't want to see the best of the best compete more regularly?

The gap between big and small is already too large. Only way to fix that would be American-styled sports wage caps but no one will be in favour of an equal playing field for all.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
The gap between big and small is already too large. Only way to fix that would be American-styled sports wage caps but no one will be in favour of an equal playing field for all.
I'm in favour of this. You'd need everyone to do it though or it's pointless.

It forces clubs to invest in themselves. Plough profits into their academy, improving the stadium, helping the local community etc rather than just the latest FOTM transfer.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's possible because more people are using other subscription services. Also, if Manchester United have a few bad seasons (here's hoping!), the glory seeking people (about 99% of Man U fans have no connection to the area) may choose not to subscribe.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sr90)
I'm in favour of this. You'd need everyone to do it though or it's pointless.

It forces clubs to invest in themselves. Plough profits into their academy, improving the stadium, helping the local community etc rather than just the latest FOTM transfer.
I doubt it works since so many clubs make different amounts of money. You might be able to centralise TV money but how would you convince clubs to give up their own commercial driven revenues or stadium revenues?

Different countries have different tax rates and rules so that makes it more complicated too. The super clubs have all the power so they'll never agree to it.

In the USA they give out plenty of obscene contracts to players so they probably pay out more money that way.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The premier league dwarfs every other league in terms of income, so there is no way that they will agree to it.

Even if it does happen, is the invitation based upon history or current size? Pretty much the entire top 10 in England are better than AC Milan at the moment but it would be strange if AC were not invited.

If a super league is then put in place, what becomes the point of the domestic leagues? The younger fans will pretty much move away from supporting them en masse, concentrating support even further into a small number of clubs.

If it becomes a completely closed shop then competitiveness disappears almost overnight and it becomes like American sports we’re teams at the bottom end give up to start preparing for next year.

With the difference in weather between all of the countries, teams won’t be able to acclimatise quickly enough, likely resulting in games similar to the CL final, with teams having to prioritise conserving enough energy to finish the match.

I can imagine at some point, when the new European competition comes in, it may be that certain clubs are provided with guaranteed access, regardless of league performance but again this can create issues for those clubs, as it’s the pressure that forges quality teams, as shown by the likes of PSG and Barca being unable to perform when the pressure hits at the moment.

One big concern that rarely gets discussed is the issue of carbon footprint with every club in this competition having to criss cross the continent, along with the fans, then this will have a massive impact on climate change.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
It's possible because more people are using other subscription services. Also, if Manchester United have a few bad seasons (here's hoping!), the glory seeking people (about 99% of Man U fans have no connection to the area) may choose not to subscribe.
You forget that glory is always a part of successful professional football, that is to say, if Manchester has no success the next fan generation is looking for, they just choice another club to support, till the success decreased. And the same goes for the next generation, it is an neverending cycle, because fans for glory always exist.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads