Pgce funding - career change Watch

Alfie1406
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello

I have a student finance funded undergraduate degree (2007-2010) and a graduate diploma in law, paid for by my employer which I obtained in 2011. Since then, I have been working as a solicitor. I’m looking at a career change, does my previous postgraduate qualification mean I won’t be able to obtain a tuition fee loan? Would it affect my eligibility for a bursary or childcare grant (I have two children under 5). I am looking to study for QTS as a secondary history teacher,
Probably on a ITT programme. Any guidance on what I might be eligible for in these circumstances would be much appreciated! Thank you.
Ferne SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alfie1406)
Hello

I have a student finance funded undergraduate degree (2007-2010) and a graduate diploma in law, paid for by my employer which I obtained in 2011. Since then, I have been working as a solicitor. I’m looking at a career change, does my previous postgraduate qualification mean I won’t be able to obtain a tuition fee loan? Would it affect my eligibility for a bursary or childcare grant (I have two children under 5). I am looking to study for QTS as a secondary history teacher,
Probably on a ITT programme. Any guidance on what I might be eligible for in these circumstances would be much appreciated! Thank you.
Hi there,

Initial Teacher Training and PGCE courses normally attract undergraduate funding. As long as you do not already hold a Qualified Teacher Status and the Initial Teacher Training course is 2 years or less in duration we will disregard any previous study or qualifications and full funding (for ages under 60) can be awarded. This means that a Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and any Supplementary Grants (if applicable) can be applied for.

If you are considering studying in the 19/20 academic year we can check your course eligibility to confirm that the details above will apply. Do you have a university/college and course in mind?

Thanks, Ferne
Alfie1406
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi Ferne

Thank you so much for the helpful reply. It is Stourport SCITT 2LB7 I am looking at but for a 2020 start as the course is full this year.

Many thanks
Amy SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Ferne

Thank you so much for the helpful reply. It is Stourport SCITT 2LB7 I am looking at but for a 2020 start as the course is full this year.

Many thanks
Hi there,

We have the History Postgraduate ITT with QTS course at Stourport on the database for the 2019/20 academic year, we currently do not have the 2020/2021 courses uploaded onto the system yet as they are normally added a few months before the start of the new academic year. However; if your course is eligible for funding for the 2019/20 academic year there should be no problems with the course attracting funding for the year you are looking to start.

Thanks, Amy
Alfie1406
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi Amy

Sorry to ask another question! As I am in my thirties and married with two children, I would be looking at applying for the maintenance loan based on household income. Will just my husbands income be looked at? As I’m currently working my income for the year before I start my teacher training will be reasonably high, but during the teacher training year I would be solely living on the bursary/loan and my husbands income. I’m panicking that if my current income is taken into account when assessing a maintenance loan, I would be entitled to very little. Please can you explain what is looked at when an adult student applies for a maintenance loan? Many thanks
(Original post by Amy SFE)
Hi there,

We have the History Postgraduate ITT with QTS course at Stourport on the database for the 2019/20 academic year, we currently do not have the 2020/2021 courses uploaded onto the system yet as they are normally added a few months before the start of the new academic year. However; if your course is eligible for funding for the 2019/20 academic year there should be no problems with the course attracting funding for the year you are looking to start.

Thanks, Amy
SFE Tegan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Alfie,

We would take your husband's income in the 17/18 tax year as well as any unearned income you have during the academic year. This would be finance from letting property or income from a pension or trust fund.

Thanks, Tégan
Hi Amy

Sorry to ask another question! As I am in my thirties and married with two children, I would be looking at applying for the maintenance loan based on household income. Will just my husbands income be looked at? As I’m currently working my income for the year before I start my teacher training will be reasonably high, but during the teacher training year I would be solely living on the bursary/loan and my husbands income. I’m panicking that if my current income is taken into account when assessing a maintenance loan, I would be entitled to very little. Please can you explain what is looked at when an adult student applies for a maintenance loan? Many thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.56%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (120)
40.68%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.42%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise