LPC or LLM alongside TC Watch

Chocoholic-94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi. I will be starting both the LPC and my training contract in September this year (working 4 days, LPC part-time on weekends). I was just wondering if anyone else has experience of undertaking both at the same time. How did you find it?

Also, did you choose to do the LLM LPC or the standard LPC? I have seen a few posts stating that the LLM isn't worth doing unless you are applying for Student Finance (I will be self-funding the course).
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Chocoholic-94)
Hi. I will be starting both the LPC and my training contract in September this year (working 4 days, LPC part-time on weekends). I was just wondering if anyone else has experience of undertaking both at the same time. How did you find it?

Also, did you choose to do the LLM LPC or the standard LPC? I have seen a few posts stating that the LLM isn't worth doing unless you are applying for Student Finance (I will be self-funding the course).
Do you believe that you will benefit from the LLM (i.e. from those extra essays) in some other way?
Chocoholic-94
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Do you believe that you will benefit from the LLM (i.e. from those extra essays) in some other way?

Not massively, I just wonder whether it is worth obtaining the more widely recognised 'Masters' as I will be paying the same amount either way.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not massively, I just wonder whether it is worth obtaining the more widely recognised 'Masters' as I will be paying the same amount either way.
The problem is that it's not recognised by anyone who wants you to do a Master's - and, if it were, I wouldn't exactly be proud to have ULaw as the institution that awarded it

Do also consider the time you may be spending over doing those essays
Chocoholic-94
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
The problem is that it's not recognised by anyone who wants you to do a Master's - and, if it were, I wouldn't exactly be proud to have ULaw as the institution that awarded it

Do also consider the time you may be spending over doing those essays
What is wrong with ULaw?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What is wrong with ULaw?
Questionable academic standards and no-name faculty across the board

But you're not trying to become an academic or head off to the highest echelons of the Bar so you don't need to worry about all that
phantomdiarrhea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How can you do a TC without initially having the LPC?
Chocoholic-94
Rep:
?
(Original post by phantomdiarrhea)
How can you do a TC without initially having the LPC?
The SRA states that you can undertake them at the same time, although I don't think it is very common.
breadbuns
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi there. I've just finished the LPC/ MSc in Law and Business at Ulaw. I'd say the main reasons for doing the Masters alongside the LPC would be to get funding or to make your CV slightly more attractive to law firms to get a TC. As you are self-funding and you've already got a TC I would say it's not worth the extra work involved. It's not difficult really but considering you'll be working at the same time you might just want to lighten the workload on yourself and just go for the straight LPC. Feel free to ask me any other questions

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads