Best route to drive from Sheffield to Liverpool for new motorway driver Watch

AAhmed123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I am driving from Sheffield to Liverpool on Thursday, planning to leave around 8am, and ideally would like to arrive for around 10.30am. Google is giving me one of two route options: A: Through Snake Pass, and then M60 from Denton (Manchester) and then the M56 Great Cheshire Motorway, the M6, and finally M62 which lands you in Liverpool. This route is a total of 79.5 miles.B: M1 to Wakefield, and then the M62 which lands me straight in Liverpool, however this route is 98.1 Miles.I am confident, however still fairly new to motorway driving, this would be my first proper long distance driver. Although Route B is longer in miles, it seems a less complex route? Could I have everyones advice on road conditions, traffic at that time, would i be better taking route A if the M62 is really really busy at that hour? Has anyone taken any of these routes?Thank you guys!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AAhmed123)
So I am driving from Sheffield to Liverpool on Thursday, planning to leave around 8am, and ideally would like to arrive for around 10.30am. Google is giving me one of two route options: A: Through Snake Pass, and then M60 from Denton (Manchester) and then the M56 Great Cheshire Motorway, the M6, and finally M62 which lands you in Liverpool. This route is a total of 79.5 miles.B: M1 to Wakefield, and then the M62 which lands me straight in Liverpool, however this route is 98.1 Miles.I am confident, however still fairly new to motorway driving, this would be my first proper long distance driver. Although Route B is longer in miles, it seems a less complex route? Could I have everyones advice on road conditions, traffic at that time, would i be better taking route A if the M62 is really really busy at that hour? Has anyone taken any of these routes?Thank you guys!
New driver? Always the M1 / M62. Unless there's traffic (which is often), motorway is always the safest.

The Snake Pass or A628 may save you mileage but it's not really suitable for a new driver if I'm honest.
AAhmed123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your reply, ironically my mum said the same.
What is it about the snake pass you wouldn't recommend for a new/inexperienced driver?
(Original post by ecolier)
New driver? Always the M1 / M62. Unless there's traffic (which is often), motorway is always the safest.

The Snake Pass or A628 may save you mileage but it's not really suitable for a new driver if I'm honest.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your reply, ironically my mum said the same.
What is it about the snake pass you wouldn't recommend for a new/inexperienced driver?
Twisty / turny roads, (potentially slippery surface), frequent change of speed limits, single carriageway leading to your / other's frustration being stuck behind a lorry (therefore overtaking - either you or some guy in the opposite direction) etc. etc.

Loads of reasons why a motorway > single carriageway road.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Snake Pass is more scenic. It's the route I would take.

If it's something important, allow three hours for an 8 am Thurs start. During the school holidays you could shave 45 mins off that.
Both routes are prone to long delays from accidents and breakdowns.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
Snake Pass is more scenic. It's the route I would take.
Speed limit reductions have ruined it though.
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Twisty / turny roads, (potentially slippery surface), frequent change of speed limits, single carriageway leading to your / other's frustration being stuck behind a lorry (therefore overtaking - either you or some guy in the opposite direction) etc. etc.

Loads of reasons why a motorway > single carriageway road.
I agree, motorways are generally the safest way (from my experience) to travel. Lots of room and usually consistent speeds. Build up enough speed when joining them if you can, but you can always slow down if it doesn't time quite right (if it's safe to do so). Just need to make sure you don't lose attention with longer journeys and stop at services if needed!

x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (149)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.87%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.22%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.3%

Watched Threads