Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone got any idea what's likely to come up?

im getting all stressed out, ive got too many exams lol

for the language change bit, will there definately be 1 old text and 1 new text? im better at the old texts.

thanks =)

ReputationRep:
    im not sure at all. are you learning reading and writing for acquisition or just speech development?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curious_Man)
    im not sure at all. are you learning reading and writing for acquisition or just speech development?
    reading and writing. im crap at language aquisition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xamethystx)
    anyone got any idea what's likely to come up?

im getting all stressed out, ive got too many exams lol

for the language change bit, will there definately be 1 old text and 1 new text? im better at the old texts.

thanks =)
    sometimes there'll just be an old text and you compare it to modern day stuff in general.

i'm screwed on this i know NOTHING
    anyone have any notes for me? xxx

ReputationRep:
    ive got a few but they need typing up. ill try to post some tomorrow after i fail philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Some advice I was given regarding any English Language exam or coursework this year: BE TENTATIVE!!!

Don't say "this is" say "I think this could be... but recognise it could also be...".

Instantly places you in a higher mark band.

ReputationRep:
    Deffinately what need2revise said!

Arghh I just need to remember all the dates and theories now which is difficult!! ANyone know any theories for Child language Writing acquisition?

And also what kind of things do we need to talk about to get marks on AO4 (theery)for language change? Is it general stuff like prescriptivism and things or do we need to know theories? (my english teachers don't teach so most of this course was self taught so please help) x

ReputationRep:
    ok language acquisition...
    here's kroll's 4 stages of writing development:

Preparatory Stage (approx. 4-7)
    basic motor skills develop and principles of the spelling system acquired

Consolidation Stage (approx. 7-9)
    children begin to use writing to express what they can already say in speech. writing closely reflects the patterns of spoken language. there may be colloqialisms, strings of clauses linked by "and", unfinished sentences.

Differentiation Stage (9+)
    writing begins to diverge from speech and develops its own patterns and organisation. errors are common at first, as children learn new standards and experiment with new structures found in their reading. their written work becomes fuller and more diverse as they encounter the need to produce different kinds of writing for different audiences and purposes.
    at this point, children need guidance about the structures and functions of written language.
    they realise that writing is a medium where there is time to reflect, re-think and to use language as a way of shaping thought. they therefore begin to draft/revise/edit.

Integration Stage (14+)
    writers have such a good command of language that they can vary their stylistic choices at will and develop a personal "voice". this continues to develop throughout adult life.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we need to worry about the integration stage as they only give you pieces on children under a certain age, 9 I think.

Don't bother predicting. It could be on absolutely anything but it's the same old story. Analyse and write about it in as many ways as you can. Don't forget context! It's worth the most marks!

ReputationRep:
    oh thanks, i wont bother learning that then. i really need to do well on this exam, ive messed up all my others

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too bothered about this exam really *shrug* I'll just go over the theories, some of the vocab and I'll be fine.

I think I got something like 98/105 in the first exam, 103/105 in the second and not sure in the c/w (one mark off an A so, 71?), and I got a low A on my c/w this year. Editorial writing went disasterous but I resat that yesterday and so I think if my ED writing didn't improve I only need a low B to get an A overall?

ReputationRep:
    lucky you! i messed up the editorial writing unit, got a B last year and 70 UMS in coursework this year. i reckon ive got an E for enb5 so ive worked it out and i need 97 UMS to get a B overall...

ReputationRep:
    This paper is out of ... 120 isn't it? You'll be fine *hug*
    I've starting panicking now haha, I'm just looking forward to a few nice drinks at the pub tomorrow

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.