Help! Pharmacy or Optometry? Or even Biomedical Sciences? Watch

marktuan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm in Year 12, studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A-level. I'm quite bright and did well at GCSE (five 9's and five 8's) and my predicted grades for A-level are all A*. Of course many people around me kept pushing me to go down the medicine route but after much thought and consideration, I just don't think I'm cut out for going through all those years and stress to become a doctor... props to those who do though! Kinda wish I had the strive to become a doctor...

SO, I've narrowed it down to pharmacy or optometry... or biomedical sciences as a back up! I was always interested in pharmacy and with pharmacy, there's three possible universities I would be interested in (UCL, King's College or Brighton) and websites like 'which university' and 'unistats' make it seem like a pretty stable career, earning about £20k after 6 months and rising to £35k within 5 years... but I've also heard pharmacy is very 'oversaturated' and the reality of being a pharmacist sucks... So that's kinda put me off?

On the other hand, there is only ONE university that I could realistically go to for optometry (City London) so that's a little annoying because I don't really have a choice for optometry. But the job is supposedly less competitive and pays around the same as pharmacy, and you use more of your degree... The degree length is also one year shorter! So it is definitely tempting but I think I need more convincing...

Lastly, there's biomedical sciences which MANY universities have so I have a lot of options for this one... it sounds good and interesting but I don't really know which jobs this opens up and whether it's worth it to complete this degree? Does it lead to stable jobs with stable salaries?

I basically have over summer to decide... I managed to get work experience at Specsavers so that will hopefully open up my eyes for Optometry but I didn't manage to secure any pharmacy work experience placements :/ I could really use with some help or advice! Thank you!
LLE1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I am looking at pharmacy too, read so many mixed reviews. I want to do pharmacy or paramedic science both very different but not sure which one🤔 Hope you get lots of advice and make the right decision as it's so hard choosing what you want to do for the rest of your life!
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by marktuan)
SO, I've narrowed it down to pharmacy or optometry... or biomedical sciences as a back up! I was always interested in pharmacy and with pharmacy, there's three possible universities I would be interested in (UCL, King's College or Brighton) and websites like 'which university' and 'unistats' make it seem like a pretty stable career, earning about £20k after 6 months and rising to £35k within 5 years... but I've also heard pharmacy is very 'oversaturated' and the reality of being a pharmacist sucks... So that's kinda put me off?
The average pharmacist (all sectors) earns £42k a year. The average community pharmacist is believed to earn less than this, some surveys putting it at £36k.

I would heavily recommend getting pharmacy work experience and talking to 50-100 pharmacists/pharmacy staff in community pharmacy.
pubity
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Optomery pay is much better and yes pharmacy is oversatured. Yes also people see pharmacists as counting pills as they stay in the back, hospital setting isn't better as you formulate the drugs most of the time, optomerist communicate, show their clinical knowledge to the patient etc. Biomed main route is biomedical scientist, extremely stable and average pay. If you need me to expand on any with more specific information or need any extra information, ask as i know a lot about optomery and pharmacy. Biomed not so much other than what i've said.

(Original post by marktuan)
I'm in Year 12, studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A-level. I'm quite bright and did well at GCSE (five 9's and five 8's) and my predicted grades for A-level are all A*. Of course many people around me kept pushing me to go down the medicine route but after much thought and consideration, I just don't think I'm cut out for going through all those years and stress to become a doctor... props to those who do though! Kinda wish I had the strive to become a doctor...

On the other hand, there is only ONE university that I could realistically go to for optometry (City London) so that's a little annoying because I don't really have a choice for optometry. But the job is supposedly less competitive and pays around the same as pharmacy, and you use more of your degree... The degree length is also one year shorter! So it is definitely tempting but I think I need more convincing...

Lastly, there's biomedical sciences which MANY universities have so I have a lot of options for this one... it sounds good and interesting but I don't really know which jobs this opens up and whether it's worth it to complete this degree? Does it lead to stable jobs with stable salaries?

I basically have over summer to decide... I managed to get work experience at Specsavers so that will hopefully open up my eyes for Optometry but I didn't manage to secure any pharmacy work experience placements :/ I could really use with some help or advice! Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads