Problems changing lanes Watch

stargirl001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
This may seem like a silly question, but does anyone have any advice on changing lanes on A roads? I'm a pretty advanced learner, 30+ lessons and I'm near taking my test but I really struggle when I'm on A roads. I just cant use my side mirrors properly and when I change lanes I always end up cutting someone up which is obviously really dangerous

I think the problem is knowing how close behind the other car is, when I look in the mirrors it just doesnt seem to register with me whether I have room or not. I really need to sort this out as I know I'll have to go on an A road on my test, and also round a massive 3 lane roundabout that joins 2 A roads.
bekahchu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Check your blind-spot. if there's nothing there, go for it.
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bekahchu)
Check your blind-spot. if there's nothing there, go for it.
And your rear mirror. Blind spot might be clear but doesn't mean someone isn't approaching you very quickly.
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Agree with above, mirrors especially distance due to them not being "flat" mirrors come with experience. Just look behind you if its clear to go straight in front for a second, check with your head then move lane !
bekahchu
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cortez)
And your rear mirror. Blind spot might be clear but doesn't mean someone isn't approaching you very quickly.
True
woofums
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if your checking your mirrors constantly, then you can build up a picture of whats on the road. i.e you check you see a blue car, the blue car gets nearer, your told to move lanes but cant see the blue car, its not in your mirror, or infront. its prob in your blindspot, so check before moving, if it is let it overtake.

also, the examiner will have spotted a gap thats suitable to move into.just check your mirrors and see that gap also.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's one thing I'm been worrying about, so as it links in kind of, I'll ask it here.

I got my test in about 3 weeks. On the test routes, there is one dual carriageway that I will have to go onto. I'm fine with this. However, I'm hesitant about changing into the second lane and overtaking, as I obviously won't know which exit I will be asked to take. I know the examiner would give me enough warning, but my test is 8.40, and so it could end up being busy, meaning its harder for me to get back into the first lane to take the exit.

So basically, is it better to sit behind other traffic (not tailgate mind you) doing around 60mph, or overtake (even with the risk of struggling to make the exit).

(and yes i know its probably nothing to worry about lol, but I tend to be a worrier a lot of the time).
Rhys.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
There's one thing I'm been worrying about, so as it links in kind of, I'll ask it here.

I got my test in about 3 weeks. On the test routes, there is one dual carriageway that I will have to go onto. I'm fine with this. However, I'm hesitant about changing into the second lane and overtaking, as I obviously won't know which exit I will be asked to take. I know the examiner would give me enough warning, but my test is 8.40, and so it could end up being busy, meaning its harder for me to get back into the first lane to take the exit.

So basically, is it better to sit behind other traffic (not tailgate mind you) doing around 60mph, or overtake (even with the risk of struggling to make the exit).

(and yes i know its probably nothing to worry about lol, but I tend to be a worrier a lot of the time).
If you can sit behind other traffic and do 60, that's probably fine.

I'd doubt you'd get away with sitting behind a lorry doing 35, though.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As you're passing the car, wait until you can see them in your rear view mirror, that means you've probably left a good gap, check your blind spot, then if it's all cool, move over, that ensures you've left loads of room and don't cut anyone up if they are there.
Bavarian Motor Works
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well what i do if im in a manual, if i need to change lanes, i tend to
A) leave a good gap from teh fcar infront of me
B) Check my left or right mirror
C) put the car one gear down if you are crusing at the time or in motion
D) check my blind spot

Then go for it !
stargirl001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks everyone, I shall take on all your advice
sak-y
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
when you say check your blind spot, do you guys mean you actually take your eyes off the road and turn around to look? :eek: It's just that I have the same problem and the only way to make sure would be to turn around and look but going at high speeds AND turning around just seems really scary :eek:
Cj-Tj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah just turn arround. Dosnt take even a second, you only need to look 90 degrees. (IE basically into the lane your changing into) then if theres owt there you can see in your perfieral vision! In normal driving things change very slowly on motorways because of the small differences in reletive speeds and the space availible. Its only when things go wrong that they change rapidly.
Jarve99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just look over your shoulder, then it's impossible to cut someone up. Be careful however not to drag the steering wheel as you go, or rear end anyone. The wing mirror make things look further away than they actually are; fact. So either look behind you, or get used to the fact that your mirror are lying the distance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1439)
79.72%
Leave (366)
20.28%

Watched Threads