Major flaw in GCSE English marking - what next? Watch

Tolgarda
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
For anyone that has been keeping up with the current affairs in education, it should be no surprise to hear about the errors in the marking of AQA's GCSE English marking papers.

Here's an article about it: https://www.tes.com/news/exam-board-...english-pupils

In light of the comments about this seemingly farcical marking system, where many marks could be unfairly lost and gained due to inaccurate marking, is it time for a change in the way English is marked or assessed at GCSE?

If GCSE English should be changed with regard to the methods employed by the awarding bodies, how should they be changed? What difference would you make so that the results could become more equitable?

I think a marking system similar to what is used for the ELAT should be used.
ThunderBeard
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh no, I’m a bit worried now. OCR but still worried. I’ve noticed it between school teachers too both of who are official markers, where one grades higher (for the same script)
Tolgarda
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ThunderBeard)
Oh no, I’m a bit worried now. OCR but still worried. I’ve noticed it between school teachers too both of who are official markers, where one grades higher (for the same script)
I believe markers are allowed a lot of leeway when marking the creative writing question (around eight marks or so), so opinions regarding marks and grades for the same script will definitely differ despite all of the training for standardisation. This is nothing new. It's just a little greater this year. Some may be a little harsher and some might not. I could have potentially achieved a mark of 32 for my creative writing last year, and that could have still been acceptable despite the fact that it would be eight marks shy of what I actually got. There's nothing you can do about it.

If you're with OCR, you literally have nothing to worry about because there is no evidence for anything awry. There's nothing outlandish really going on there. It would be silly to worry over it.

However, I do believe that the marking system can be changed to make it less open. Grades can feel like a lottery with this system.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 2 weeks ago
ThunderBeard
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you. And I understand what you mean.
(Original post by Tolgarda)
I believe markers are allowed a lot of leeway when marking the creative writing question (around eight marks or so), so opinions regarding marks and grades for the same script will definitely differ despite all of the training for standardisation. This is nothing new. It's just a little greater this year. Some may be a little harsher and some might not. I could have potentially achieved a mark of 32 for my creative writing last year, and that could have still been acceptable despite the fact that it would be eight marks shy of what I actually got. There's nothing you can do about it.

If you're with OCR, you literally have nothing to worry about because there is no evidence for anything awry. There's nothing outlandish really going on there. It would be silly to worry over it.

However, I do believe that the marking system can be changed to make it less open. Grades can feel like a lottery with this system.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.7%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.56%
No I am happy with my course choice (456)
58.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.82%

Watched Threads