clinical psychology masters (Russel group or applied) Watch

Jessica.leea
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I am just trying to work out what the best masters program is for me. I currently study psychology at a Russel group university and understand that these are the more competitive universities (I am on track for a first so far). I want to peruse a career in clinical psychology so I would like to enhance my portfolio by completing a postgrad clinical psychology masters, yet I am unsure which pathway to take.

I also have some relevant work experience within the NHS. Many applied clinical psychology masters in universities such as UCLAN and Salford state that their applied clinical psychology masters best compliments this type of work experience as they have placement opportunities. I also think applied masters would be good if applying for a DClin course as I think these are more NHS practice based, as opposed to more research intensive PhD's. However, I am also unsure whether I should stick with masters at more research focused and competitive universities, such as Russel groups.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with Dclin or masters courses and has any advice on which pathway to take?

Thanks
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Interrobang is this something you can help with?
(Original post by Jessica.leea)
Hi,

I am just trying to work out what the best masters program is for me. I currently study psychology at a Russel group university and understand that these are the more competitive universities (I am on track for a first so far). I want to peruse a career in clinical psychology so I would like to enhance my portfolio by completing a postgrad clinical psychology masters, yet I am unsure which pathway to take.

I also have some relevant work experience within the NHS. Many applied clinical psychology masters in universities such as UCLAN and Salford state that their applied clinical psychology masters best compliments this type of work experience as they have placement opportunities. I also think applied masters would be good if applying for a DClin course as I think these are more NHS practice based, as opposed to more research intensive PhD's. However, I am also unsure whether I should stick with masters at more research focused and competitive universities, such as Russel groups.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with Dclin or masters courses and has any advice on which pathway to take?

Thanks
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm afraid I don't know a lot about this stuff. DClinPsy applicants will have a mixture of experiences, but the tutors will look for both research and applied skills
marinade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jessica.leea)
Read this thread here all 25 pages of it (notice lots of people got on without a master's and many of those are conversions). Will give you a better idea. In addition to this, there are loads of clinical psychologists and trainees on linkedin and you can see their profiles in gory detail.

It is said that each clinical course has a different focus. So you'll have to research each one. I would suggest the above forum.

Can't personally see the merit in doing a master's, I know loads and loads of people with Psychology MScs who are not where they want to be but I get what you are saying about some of the ones you are looking at being more 'applied'.

Of the three people I've directly come across who got on the DClinPsy, all had a master's, but two were conversion courses (very lowly ranked uni) from totally different subjects (also lowly ranked unis).
Last edited by marinade; 2 weeks ago
dilushi98
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hello,

I have just graduated with a bsc psychology degree and got a 2:1. I am going to be doing Masters from September. In the future i would like to apply for a Clinical psychology doctorate programme.

I am stuck between two MSc programmes: an applied Clinical Psychology msc at the University of Bath and MSc in Clinical Neuropsychiatry programme at the University of Birmingham. I am aware that the Clinical Neuropsychiatry has a lot of Neuroscience background, and in case i wont get into the Clinical Psychology doctorate programme it will be helpful with that.
However i am not sure if it will actually help with the Clinical Psychology doctorate. Will it matter which Msc i do for the doctorate.

I would like Birmingham more since its closer to home in Manchester, but i am just stuck on the decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads