The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Council (or social) housing is intended for those who cannot afford to buy or rent from the housing market.

Any decent society should provide decent housing for all the 'housing needy.' Why should those who cannot afford extortionate housing costs be given housing that is sub-standard?

It's like saying that pensioners who have been unable to provide additional funding for their retirement because their life-long earning capacity has been meagre in comparison to more affluent people - and who then need support bwo residential/nursing care - should be consigned to a less than adequate care home.

I sincerely hope that those TSR's who condemn the provision of quality housing or care for the less socio-economically advantaged never suffer a loss of income due to unemployment or incapacity which renders them unable to build up a 'nest egg' for their own futures.
I'd like some of the people on here to spend a week in council housing (especially those who seem to think they all have flat screen TVs and A/C in there); perhaps only then will they find out the real condition of these places.
Reply 102
I wish my univerity campus is as good as that and only cost £75 a week......quite frankly I am daydreaming.
Reply 103
~|Shock|~
I wish my univerity campus is as good as that and only cost £75 a week......quite frankly I am daydreaming.

I think this is a bloody good point!
nobodyslittlepumpkin
Oh because they're so sub-human are they?

Clearly putting people in horrible accommodation in the past hasn't persuaded people to work. Instead it just reinforces their view - and seemingly that of quite a few posters in this thread - that they aren't worth anything better. It's in slums like these that drugs and crime is rife because there's little or no encouragement to do differently.

Is it not worth being a little optimistic that a minority of people on benefits who get lucky enough to live somewhere like this might be inclined to work harder and 'fit in' with their neighbours in the same way they would do in a rough council estate?

I'm not saying that the benefit system isn't very flawed, I'm not saying that a lot of people don't deserve the reputation they've received, but to outright say that every one of them is lazy and trouble making is just wrong.

I am sorry but the slappers and the work shy will never work, the only answer to them is to put them in the worst housing possible and then everyone else who will and can work will see what fate waits for them if they don't work.

It makes me sick to know that i live in an ex-council house surrounded by council houses where both my parents work and me and my brother work while the majority of the other people in simialar housing (Although council owned) don't work, deal drugs, steal, play loud music.

I feel like saying turn your god damn music down, you ahven't even paid for your house.

Then to put these work shy failure's into high qaulity housing, is a slap in the face of the working man. I personally would be happy seeing them housed in slums that cost a tiny amount to build. The the scum can live together.
Reply 105
Then to put these work shy failure's into high qaulity housing, is a slap in the face of the working man. I personally would be happy seeing them housed in slums that cost a tiny amount to build. The the scum can live together.

Let's just consider that the future deals you a really rough hand and you find yourself unable to work because of whatever circumstances.

Would you like to be housed in a slum, living with all that 'scum' you talk about?

Don't respond with "But I'll make sure I'm never in that situation" because you don't know the future with any surety, and you could well be, nor that people are victims through choice because the overwhelming majority aren't.

As I said, think about it...take yourself down from your lofty view and imagine yourself in a desperate situation over which you have no control...and then come back to me.
Reply 106
OMG this thread is so funny!

only one of my friends lives in a brought house, the rest of us live in council flats :biggrin: :biggrin: then you come on here and read all the negatives views about council tenants, WOW! seriously living on a council estate is really cool, i love my area and its nice to be around and feels very homely, i never want to live outside an estate
The problem here is the way council housing is done. We don't need extremes, either of this ridiculous situation, nor of vast concrete slums.

The truth is that we need smaller council estates, perhaps not even estates at all. Councils should be responsible for building housing in discrete amounts and making sure they are well placed. We also need to end this spree of 'modernist' and 'brutalist' council house design. We need small, but well designed, and aesthetically pleasing houses mixed in with larger properties. We also need to make council housing in such properties contingent on good behavior, upkeep of the property and contribution to the community.

Such a strategy would go a long way in helping out some of these people and ending the problems endemic to Council Housing.
yawn
Let's just consider that the future deals you a really rough hand and you find yourself unable to work because of whatever circumstances.

Would you like to be housed in a slum, living with all that 'scum' you talk about?

Don't respond with "But I'll make sure I'm never in that situation" because you don't know the future with any surety, and you could well be, nor that people are victims through choice because the overwhelming majority aren't.

As I said, think about it...take yourself down from your lofty view and imagine yourself in a desperate situation over which you have no control...and then come back to me.

If i get a rough hand i imagine i will be on disability benefits. Which i agree with. Genuine disabled people should be looked after.

I live on a council estate, my house is ex council with a few other people on here. Most of the people on my estate are human filth, it makes me sad to know how much they breed.

I am sorry but these people are not victims they are lucky people who are getting free houses and money from real victims who have to pay to upkeep these people.
I believe we should have a tax policy for the essentials, NHS, schooling, police force etc
Anything like free housing and money for the long term unemployed is a joke in my eyes.

The problem you have is you see these people as victims they are not victims, they're very lucky because they are getting something for nothing. The real victims are the tax payers who foot the bill for these people.

These people have complete control over their situation they can geta job earn a living and buy a house. They can work they choose not to!
Excuse my ignorance but...

How do you know whether a house is council-house or privately-owned?
mizfissy when no one in their family works and they just moved in across the road from you its a give away.
Reply 111
mizfissy815
Excuse my ignorance but...

How do you know whether a house is council-house or privately-owned?

well usually blocks of flats are council owned and what Caspiantiger said
Caspiantiger
mizfissy when no one in their family works and they just moved in across the road from you its a give away.

I know what a council-house is.

My question is how most of you seem to know the person down the road has been 'given' the house and didn't rent it privately himself?

Give away? As a welfare state, the gov. is required to look after it's people right? Now when you've got a family who's sleeping in the streets, is it not the duty of the state to help them off the streets?

I also noticed a gross generalization on this thread as well. It seems that the general tone is that these homes are given only to the most undeserving of people and all of them get homes like these. I'd bet everything in my account such luxury accommodation is very, very rare.

And I have to ask; even if the there are a sponging of the gov...would you lot prefer if you had a homeless person/family lying in every corner of the city?
Not to mention, some of those who are sponging of the gov. won't have any problem with committing illegal acts to survive.

And last but not least, how do you lot know they're benefit cheats? To be legible for some of these benefits they have to fulfills a criteria no? How do you know they don't and thus don't deserve (or at the very least have some right to) such benefits?
Reply 113
Caspiantiger
These people have complete control over their situation they can geta job earn a living and buy a house. They can work they choose not to!

You mean you know the situation of every single person on benefits, do you?:rolleyes:

when no one in their family works and they just moved in across the road from you its a give away.

I used to live ina council house. Doesn't mean in any way that my parents didn't work.

What is it with you lot and generalisations? Stop assuming you know the situation of every single person in a council house/on benefits, because clearly you don't.
Reply 114
Caspiantiger

what if you don't want to buy a house cos you'd rather rent. i have no intention of ever buying a house, but it doesn't mean i won't work
Reply 115
mizfissy815
I know what a council-house is.

My question is how most of you seem to know the person down the road has been 'given' the house and didn't rent it privately himself?

:confused: What do you mean? Those who live on council estates?

Around where I live you can usually tell which are the council houses (and which have been bought privately) by the windows. Also, without stereotyping too much, those with the worse, most overgrown, gardens tend to be the council houses.

Then again amongst the older generation, even those who are renting theirs, gardens are generally well kept. It's all some have got.

mizfissy815

And last but not least, how do you lot know they're benefit cheats? To be legible for some of these benefits they have to fulfills a criteria no? How do you know they don't and thus don't deserve (or at the very least have some right to) such benefits?

You don't and that's been the point of this thread. It was the whole aim of the OP, not to provoke a discussion about how to tackle the need for social housing, but to put down all of those that rent council houses, classifying them all as lazy, scum etc.

Feels nice being in your very affluent middle class comfort sphere doesn't it?

Then the rest follow like sheep.

It's good to see some speaking against such ignorance today.
mizfissy
To be honest i don't think it is the duty of the state to help them off the streets. However if we are going to atleast do it in a respectful way. When you give a long term unemployed person a better house than the working man its a disgrace.

Yes luxury accomodation is rare, but do these people deserve decent accommodation when they are not willing to work for it? Then what do these people do with decent accommodation? they destroy it.

I used to be a door to door salesman who worked on council estates i have been into the home of many of the benefactors.

Mizfissy when i lived in Canada it was rated the best city to live in the world, there were thousands upon thousands of homeless people, they kept them in the same area's and the working man was happy. Its good to see a homeless person around it reminds you why you're getting up at 7am.

If they commit illegal acts then they will got to jail, jail would be chaper than housing all these people and paying them benefits.

I think you should only get JSA if you have worked in your life. The JSA is for the working man who has lost his job not a career choice. Benefits for single mothers is much more difficult, many get knocked up for a free house and thus make the problem worse by breeding another benefit cheat of their own.
I personally feel that the mother should be made to work and the father should give more monetary assistance in raising the child rather than the state, if the mother is widowed and the father dead then they can get state benefits.
Also depression and other 'illnesses' should not get disability benefit. How can sitting at home in poverty help depression.
River85
:confused: What do you mean? Those who live on council estates?

Around where I live you can usually tell which are the council houses (and which have been bought privately) by the windows. Also, without stereotyping too much, those with the worse, most overgrown, gardens tend to be the council houses.

Then again amongst the older generation, even those who are renting theirs, gardens are generally well kept. It's all some have got.
Yeah, council-estates...

Oh so there is no definitive way to tell?
So basically, the goodness knows how many pages of vilifying those 'undeserving poor' was based on experiences were all....assumptions? So those of you who b*tched about the people down the street because they're chavs or 'plebs' you assumed they were benefit cheats as they lived in what you assumed were council-estates? Or they got a good house but don't look like they deserve it so the only other explanation is council-house?

Am I missing something here?
Reply 118
Caspiantiger
Also depression and other 'illnesses' should not get disability benefit. How can sitting at home in poverty help depression.

Clearly you know what depression feels like.:rolleyes: Having been through it all (more than once) I can tell you it's nothing like you're making it out to be.
Reply 119
Caspiantiger
mizfissy
To be honest i don't think it is the duty of the state to help them off the streets. However if we are going to atleast do it in a respectful way. When you give a long term unemployed person a better house than the working man its a disgrace.

Yes luxury accomodation is rare, but do these people deserve decent accommodation when they are not willing to work for it? Then what do these people do with decent accommodation? they destroy it.

You cannot speak for every single person who lives in a council house.

There are some unpleasent people, yes. However, I've also made the point that you can also get unpleasent people in middle class areas. Before moving here I spent most of my years growing up in a quite comfortable street in another part of the village. A mixtured of retired people and professionals (engineerings, surveyors, teachers, physiotherapsits...). Unfortunately there were people in the flats at the bottom of the street. Some owned them privately, others actually owned them. They were wasters. Barely worked, used and dealt drugs.

I've moved over to this ex-council estate (the estate my father grow up on and my grandma still lives next door). This estate itself is OK. It always has had the "better" sort of people living here, even when it was local authority housing. The nearby couple of streets aren't quite of the same standards. There are some people who may be classed as "chavs" yes. However, the only unemployed people and benefit cheats I'm aware of it those that actually live in the private houses. The rest are generally hardworking people. They just aren't too bright and haven't really had the same opportunities in life that many of you people have.

To suggest that everyone who lives in a council house is unemployed out of laziness and will only "wreck a decent house" just sticks of class prejudice.

Caspiantiger
I used to be a door to door salesman who worked on council estates i have been into the home of many of the benefactors.

Yes, and? There are many private houses that are in similar states.

Caspiantiger
Mizfissy when i lived in Canada it was rated the best city to live in the world, there were thousands upon thousands of homeless people, they kept them in the same area's and the working man was happy. Its good to see a homeless person around it reminds you why you're getting up at 7am.

If they commit illegal acts then they will got to jail, jail would be chaper than housing all these people and paying them benefits..

Again, not everyone who lives in a council house is unemployed and claiming benefits.

Are you suggesting that innocent people should go to jail rather being housed in council housing? If so then why should a person's freedom be so severely resricted in such a way? Also are you even aware of prison populations.

Sorry if that's not what you mean and I've misunderstood you. That's what happens when you use absurd comparisons.

Caspiantiger
I think you should only get JSA if you have worked in your life. The JSA is for the working man who has lost his job not a career choice.

How do you know that everyone living on a council estate is claiming job seekers allowance. Go around and see the levels of JSA claimants, especially in some of the council estate in better of areas. You'll find they probably aren't as high as you think (although yes often they will be signifantly above average).

Caspiantiger

An expert in mental illness now, are you? :rolleyes: Not every case is so simplistic.

Latest

Trending

Trending