Chemistry or Chemical Engineering degree? Watch

anzoceo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I relatively enjoy Chemistry however i've done some research and I reckon a Chemical Engineering degree would be more useful for my personal situation.

However the only thing stopping me from doing Chemical Engineering is that I reckon there is too much maths in that degree (majority maths even.) I done Chemistry and Maths A Levels and enjoyed Chemistry but hated the **** out of maths. (I had an amazing teacher for Chemistry and terrible teacher for Maths but i don't solely blame the teachers.)

Well my question is, is there A LOT of maths in chemical engineering? or is it balanced between the chemistry and maths? I don't want to be miserable for 3 years basically doing a level maths which i hated during a levels.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by anzoceo)
I relatively enjoy Chemistry however i've done some research and I reckon a Chemical Engineering degree would be more useful for my personal situation.

However the only thing stopping me from doing Chemical Engineering is that I reckon there is too much maths in that degree (majority maths even.) I done Chemistry and Maths A Levels and enjoyed Chemistry but hated the **** out of maths. (I had an amazing teacher for Chemistry and terrible teacher for Maths but i don't solely blame the teachers.)

Well my question is, is there A LOT of maths in chemical engineering? or is it balanced between the chemistry and maths? I don't want to be miserable for 3 years basically doing a level maths which i hated during a levels.
you should be able to get the individual module lists to compare the two degrees
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Engineering at university will contain a lot of maths. It's often said that there is very little chemistry in a chemical engineering degree.

Are you actively considered a career in engineering?
anzoceo
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
you should be able to get the individual module lists to compare the two degrees
i have but the lists are very vague, you won’t be able to tell
anzoceo
Rep:
?
honestly if there’s very little chemistry i won’t even consider it, there is a lot of good job opportunities in chemical engineering that you don’t get in chemistry so i was just keeping my options open if you will.
(Original post by Smack)
Engineering at university will contain a lot of maths. It's often said that there is very little chemistry in a chemical engineering degree.

Are you actively considered a career in engineering?
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
honestly if there’s very little chemistry i won’t even consider it, there is a lot of good job opportunities in chemical engineering that you don’t get in chemistry so i was just keeping my options open if you will.
If it's chemistry you're interested in then a chemistry degree is a better fit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.97%
They might tell the bully (32)
9.7%
I don't think they'd understand (50)
15.15%
It might lead to more bullying (124)
37.58%
There's nothing they could do (101)
30.61%

Watched Threads