Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    For years I have been so obsessed with grades that, outside of school, I have only done air-headed things as a release from exams. I am now moving away from that and have recently developped a liking for langauge and art. Howver, at the moment, because I have never really enjoyed myself due to prioritising education, I just want to be out there meeting interesting people, and lack the motivation to sit down and read. I am also finding some of the langauge difficult in the book ( I am attempting to read, but it 's interesting nevertheless-boes well for someone that wants to be a writer! I guess I have never really challenged myself vocabulary-wise.
    Any advice on books that are intellectual but not too complicated in terms of langauge, as a starting point, that is?

Alice_G

ReputationRep:
    When you refer to language do you mean foreign language?

ReputationRep:
    After reading back through your post again I just realised you meant vocabulary. Well one of my fave books of all time is ~ Jonathon Livingston Seagull. In terms of depth and length, it can be compared to a childs book. But its simplicity and message is AMAZING.

ReputationRep:
    If you're already pretty 'bookish' then I wouldn't really go for reading as a means of developing more 'depth'. Yes, on the side perhaps, but not as the main solution to your problem. I, too, was very academic throughout my youth (ha! I'm only 20 now, so still young), but found it was only when I went on numerous summer schools that I became more well-rounded and interesting. I found friends that I am still in touch with today, developed my communicational skills, took part in new sports and developed new interests. Not sure how old you are, but perhaps try to get on one of these.
    I took part in an HSBC Learning to Lead Summer School, a University of Nottingham activity week and an Oxford Summer School and thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
    I've always had jobs which have stimulated me too in trying to learn new things, and my latest job which I've had since last summer, working at Buckingham Palace is always a conversation starter!

So yes, in short, try books, but also take up sports, exercise, read interesting articles, but get involved in communities. I was also part of the Union Council and that led me down many different paths!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.