US police arrest black man attached to IV machine. Watch

Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
To be frank i actually sympathise with the plods on this one. They're duty bound to investigate the allegations. The security guard on the other hand sounds like a cockwomble.

US police are investigating the arrest of a black patient in Illinois who was detained near a hospital while attached to an intravenous (IV) machine.
Shaquille Dukes says he went for a walk on his doctor's orders, but was held after a white security guard accused him of trying to steal the machine.
Mr Dukes has now filed a complaint alleging racial profiling.
Freeport police say their officers acted "the best way they could", but have launched an independent probe.
Freeport Health Network (FHN) Memorial Hospital has not commented on the incident, calling it a police matter.

The incident took place on 9 June, and gained national press coverage on Monday after it was picked up by US broadcasters.
On Monday, Freeport police told US media that an external investigator would assess whether officers handled the arrest appropriately.
What does Shaquille Dukes say?

The 24-year-old from Chicago says he was admitted to the hospital with double pneumonia while on holiday.
He says in a Facebook post that "after receiving doctors orders to walk around, I was stopped by an overzealous, racist, security officer, who claimed that I 'was trying to leave the hospital to sell the IV equipment on eBay.'"
He says the police were then called and arrested him for attempted theft.
Mr Dukes says his IV was removed - "not by a doctor" - as police officers stood by.
"They [the police] took my rescue inhaler and began to transport me to the city lockup, while in transit I began to have a seizure, and subsequently am asthma attack, I pleaded with officers for almost four minutes to retrieve my inhaler from the transporting officer, and finally, when I became unresponsive, it miraculously appeared."

What did the police say?

In a statement posted on Facebook, Freeport Police urged "the public to reserve judgment while a complete review of the incident is performed".
It added that the IV was removed "at the request of the subject by FHN medical personnel (not security or police)".
Police chief Todd Barkalow told ABC News that it had been determined that Mr Dukes "was likely not trying to steal any of the property", but he and two other men were arrested "for disorderly conduct" towards the security guard.
The police have shared police body camera footage which they say shows officers "handled it in the best way they could... given the situation that they had in front of them".
Officials also told ABC News that Mr Dukes had not been given permission "to leave the hospital while still hooked to an IV machine".
Mr Dukes is due to appear in court next month, US media reports say.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48831646
z-hog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Didn't we just know this would be a BBC link?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by z-hog)
You lot get uppity when I use an AJ link, an RT link, a Guardian link or anything to be honest. I am far beyond caring on this as the link if rather irrelevant.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by z-hog)
What do you mean? The BBC should not cover this story?
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
You lot get uppity when I use an AJ link, an RT link, a Guardian link or anything to be honest. I am far beyond caring on this as the link if rather irrelevant.
It's not a pop at you, it's just a reminder of the role the BBC play in agitating and fanning the racial flames. They scan the world 24/7 for 'incidents' their young but highly trained staff can bring to our attention, we must all know how racist white people are.

Had a quick look at the link, are we sure security would have acted differently had the patient been white? We simply don't know but there's enough on it for the BBC to declare it 'racially charged' and... we don't even know if he was indeed trying to nick the machine.

I never saw the day coming, always a defender of the BBC but... it really is time they close the bluddy thing down.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
What do you mean? The BBC should not cover this story?
That's right and you know why? Because there is no story.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by z-hog)
That's right and you know why? Because there is no story.
So what would you classify as a story then? When he got shot and killed?
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So what would you classify as a story then? When he got shot and killed?
Yes.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Yes.
Oh wow, ok.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh wow, ok.
Had the security guy been black too, would we have had a story? Would the BBC be 'reporting' it? Nope, they do so only because it is too good an opportunity to make it white v. black. They're quite racist at the Beeb these days, actually.
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Not the kind of BBC link I was expecting
Yep.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
BBC:
US police are investigating the arrest of a black patient in Illinois who was detained near a hospital while attached to an intravenous (IV) machine.
Shaquille Dukes says he went for a walk on his doctor's orders, but was held after a white security guard accused him of trying to steal the machine.
Seems odd that the BBC have decided it's all about skin pigments...
at the end of the article we find
Officials also told ABC News that Mr Dukes had not been given permission "to leave the hospital while still hooked to an IV machine".
So a guy removed a (presumably expensive) piece of equipment from hospital property without permission and got arrested.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Seems odd that the BBC have decided it's all about skin pigments...
Well, not really...
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To cap the whole thing, police were called after an altercation broke up between the security guard (alleged racist honkey) and the patient. He was detained for the commotion, not because he walked out with the gear. His boyfriend (he's gay too, the perfect package) filmed it all and if we don't get to see any footage there will be good reasons for it because CNN and the BBC would have had it on a loop. The BBC only tap into this because of race and they don't care much about the facts either: it's another example of racism by white people, that's all people need to know and let's look for the next one in this divine crusade of ours.
Last edited by z-hog; 1 week ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Focus needs to be on the security guard here, who seems a bit of a tit rather than the plods who in honesty did nothing wrong, although I suppose they could have just asked the hospital about the IV.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Focus needs to be on the security guard here, who seems a bit of a tit rather than the plods who in honesty did nothing wrong, although I suppose they could have just asked the hospital about the IV.
Do you know if the dude was trying to nick the machine or not?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Had the security guy been black too, would we have had a story? Would the BBC be 'reporting' it? Nope, they do so only because it is too good an opportunity to make it white v. black. They're quite racist at the Beeb these days, actually.
I disagree. I think they reported it based on the racial undertone of black males interacting with the police in the US. Many of the interactions have resulted in unlawful killings based on either false assumptions or overzealous actions.

BBC reported this based on the ridiculousness of the interaction. They don't have to only report deaths, but also activities that would have resulted in potential deaths.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
BBC reported this based on the ridiculousness of the interaction. They don't have to only report deaths, but also activities that would have resulted in potential deaths.
So because the guy walked out with the gear and the police ended up being called we have a potential death situation, only because he was black? The BBC just have to be on the case, what a wonderful use of the license fee. This axis of WaPo, NYT, Guardian and the BBC is what creates this noxious cloud where progressively the use of reason is replaced with that of superficial emotion and manipulation, it's generating a wave of people who think the same things, say the same things, approve of the same things, disapprove of the same things, they even eat the same things in many cases. Nothing to tell them apart, all joined up at the hip somehow on everything and all done by design and not as a mere coincidence.

There was a racially charged situation in Oberlin, Ohio. Blew up in the face of the anti-racist mobs and for that reason... you will not find a word about it at the BBC. To follow your logic, they ought to have reported it because it was contemplated to call the State riot police in at one point. Oberlin College was ordered to pay tens of millions in compo to a white man hysterically accused of racism. Not the type of story you'll find much about in that axis mentioned above, if you google BBC and Oberlin College you'll find... sweet FA. Wrong narrative, they don't cover anti-white racism for some reason. It may be nothing that new but the BBC is these days more politically aligned than ever before. With the Guardian, the WaPo, the NYT...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson...berlin_College
Last edited by z-hog; 1 week ago
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by z-hog)
So because the guy walked out with the gear and the police ended up being called we have a potential death situation, only because he was black? The BBC just have to be on the case, what a wonderful use of the license fee. This axis of WaPo, NYT, Guardian and the BBC is what creates this noxious cloud where progressively the use of reason is replaced with that of superficial emotion and manipulation, it's generating a wave of people who think the same things, say the same things, approve of the same things, disapprove of the same things, they even eat the same things in many cases. Nothing to tell them apart, all joined up at the hip somehow on everything and all done by design and not as a mere coincidence.

There was a racially charged situation in Oberlin, Ohio. Blew up in the face of the anti-racist mobs and for that reason... you will not find a word about it at the BBC. To follow your logic, they ought to have reported it because it was contemplated to call the State riot police in at one point. Oberlin College was ordered to pay tens of millions in compo to a white man hysterically accused of racism. Not the type of story you'll find much about in that axis mentioned above, if you google BBC and Oberlin College you'll find... sweet FA. Wrong narrative, they don't cover anti-white racism for some reason. It may be nothing that new but the BBC is these days more politically aligned than ever before. With the Guardian, the WaPo, the NYT...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson...berlin_College
This is where i think you are wrong. The death of unarmed black people have become prevalent to the extent that an interaction with the police could lead to a death situation. This is not hypothesis or hearsay but actual events, whether it is shooting during a road stop, a young boy walking down his own neighbourhood, a kid playing in the park, a woman being stopped on a street or even a group of teenagers playing basketball in their local parks.

It is the reason why one of the US most senior police officer came out publicly to state that there is a racial element that tends to lead police officers to killing black people based on an inherent threat. Threat that comes from the assumption of danger or guilt. You cannot just assume that it does not exist because it does not fit your worldview. It is a lazy way to think and a pseudo-intellectual action.

As for the BBC, they were not reporting the event live. It was just an article that was written about. Just because you don't like the article does not mean they are wasting your precious license fee. That is not how the BBC operates.

I am no fan of the BBC and you are right that they do manipulate their audience, but I think you reached with this one. It probably stems from your own inherent biases that confirms your world view. It was like a closet homophobe complaining why the BBC covered a story of two lesbians verbally attacked on a street. This person felt that it was a non-story, even though we know that attacks against the LGBT community is at a high.

Also, the BBC is not the only media platform that manipulates its audience. Most, if not all, platforms manipulate their audiences whether it is an anti-migrant, anti-Semite or anti-minority view of right-leaning or far-right platforms or the pro-migrant or pro-LGBT view of left-leaning or far-left platforms.

Asserting that some platforms like WaPo or BBC are manipulative is using Trump-like tactics and a bit simple IMO. Only yesterday did we hear of one of our new MEPs, Majid Majid, was asked to leave the European Parliament building. Not that he was rowdy, but the security viewed him as an intruder.

Finally, to your point about Oberlin College, I don't know why they did not cover it. There are editorial decisions made on what to cover, as covering all stories will be a bit daft. I have been upset at the low coverage of the Yemen war that have been carried out by Saudi Arabia using British-made military weapons. However, I agree that decisions were probably made not to put it at the top of the news agenda.

I also think you should calm down. You probably don't really like black people and are trying to use other avenues to mask your dislike. I think you should open up a bit and have a balanced view of the world around you.
Last edited by Wired_1800; 1 week ago
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I also think you should calm down. You probably don't really like black people and are trying to use other avenues to mask your dislike. I think you should open up a bit and have a balanced view of the world around you.
With 'balanced view of the world' meaning that I should fear this bloke's death at the hands of the police, because white people are so racist, and accept that the BBC and others simply have to follow every single bit of interaction between whites and blacks in case someone gets hurt. I should just lap up the narrative that feeds all that paranoia and delusion, instigated by some nauseating ideology that sets out to stir up hatred and division between people non-stop everywhere. Maybe you really don't like white people and are using this twisted narrative just to conceal it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads