The Student Room Group

Migrant Worker

Hello there,

I would like to just confirm some details.

I moved to the UK in October 2016. In October 2017 I did the first year at the Open University - 120 credits and in October 2018 another 120 credits (I got only tuition loan as this was part-time). I have been working for one charity since January 2018 (minimum 16 hours per week) and I decided to move to a brick Uni and I got an offer to transfer 120 credits from the OU.

- I have been living in Europe my whole life.
- I have been living in the UK for almost 3 years.
- I haven't studied anything else except at the OU.
- I do currently earn around £10.000 a year.
- I have no parents
- I am single
- I will probably work for the same charity but I will be relocated

I would like to ask what financial support can I get. Is it true that working 10 hours per week is enough to get a maintenance loan? Can I submit my application now? Will I have to fill out a paper application or would I be able to do it online? Will I have to send you my ID again? If I am going directly into year two, would I be 'new full-time student' or 'continuing'?

Thank you.
Original post by LittleX
Hello there,

I would like to just confirm some details.

I moved to the UK in October 2016. In October 2017 I did the first year at the Open University - 120 credits and in October 2018 another 120 credits (I got only tuition loan as this was part-time). I have been working for one charity since January 2018 (minimum 16 hours per week) and I decided to move to a brick Uni and I got an offer to transfer 120 credits from the OU.

- I have been living in Europe my whole life.
- I have been living in the UK for almost 3 years.
- I haven't studied anything else except at the OU.
- I do currently earn around £10.000 a year.
- I have no parents
- I am single
- I will probably work for the same charity but I will be relocated

I would like to ask what financial support can I get. Is it true that working 10 hours per week is enough to get a maintenance loan? Can I submit my application now? Will I have to fill out a paper application or would I be able to do it online? Will I have to send you my ID again? If I am going directly into year two, would I be 'new full-time student' or 'continuing'?

Thank you.

Hi there,

Did you gain a qualification from studying part time at the Open University?

Our processing team will look for work which is effective, genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or ancillary. We aren't able to confirm that working 10 hours per week will definitely make you eligible to receive the Maintenance Loan as a Migrant Worker, we would need to review your employment evidence before making this decision.

Thanks, Ferne
Reply 2
Hi,

thank you for your answer. No, I haven't gained any qualification at the Open University.
So what wouldn't be considered marginal or ancillary? I have been working the whole time, doing night shifts here, plus 120 credit per year at the open university and it completely destroyed my life and I am developing bipolar disorder. It's not very likely you can reasonably handle a full-time job and full-time university.
Original post by LittleX
Hi,

thank you for your answer. No, I haven't gained any qualification at the Open University.
So what wouldn't be considered marginal or ancillary? I have been working the whole time, doing night shifts here, plus 120 credit per year at the open university and it completely destroyed my life and I am developing bipolar disorder. It's not very likely you can reasonably handle a full-time job and full-time university.

Hi there,

We are unable to determine what would be considered marginal or ancillary, our Migrant Worker team take into consideration how many hours you work as well as rate of pay then once they review your employment evidence and our assessors would make the over decision. When you apply as a Migrant Worker to retain your eligibility we ask for termly evidence throughout your studies in order to release your payments.

If you are looking to apply as a Migrant Worker you would apply on the paper PN1 form which can be found here.

We would also ask you to send in the following evidence:

Your original Passport or National ID Card
Last 3 months payslips (if available)
Most recent P60 (if available)
A copy of your contract of employment, this will need to confirm the following;
Employment start date
Contracted hours per week
Be signed and dated by a member of HR or your manager
Hourly rate of pay
Contract type - permanent, fixed or temporary

Thanks, Amy
Reply 4
Hello Amy,

thank you for your answer. I do have some additional questions.

What if I study full time, I will have a part-time job a few hours per week and in free time I will do websites and translations as self-employed? I won't earn much (mostly because I just don't have enough energy now as I work 180 hours per month), but it could be more in the future (if I would have more time)?

or

What if I will study full-time, the organisation I work for now will relocate me to a location where people live on site, I will work there a few hours per week, I will get discounted staff accommodation and some money, but I will have another part-time job somewhere that will give me some extra cash and I will still do websites and translations as self-employed? You could say all my jobs are marginal or ancillary but together will get me thru the month ...

or

let's say that I won't be relocated and after 2 years I will have to resign (I have been working for that organisation for almost 2 years) and I will find a new job in September or maybe in October, so would that mean for me? I know that funds are paid a few days (weeks) after the beginning of each trimester so that's why you are asking for termly evidence. Would I get paid later or would I miss one payment?

Thank you.
Original post by LittleX
Hello Amy,

thank you for your answer. I do have some additional questions.

What if I study full time, I will have a part-time job a few hours per week and in free time I will do websites and translations as self-employed? I won't earn much (mostly because I just don't have enough energy now as I work 180 hours per month), but it could be more in the future (if I would have more time)?

or

What if I will study full-time, the organisation I work for now will relocate me to a location where people live on site, I will work there a few hours per week, I will get discounted staff accommodation and some money, but I will have another part-time job somewhere that will give me some extra cash and I will still do websites and translations as self-employed? You could say all my jobs are marginal or ancillary but together will get me thru the month ...

or

let's say that I won't be relocated and after 2 years I will have to resign (I have been working for that organisation for almost 2 years) and I will find a new job in September or maybe in October, so would that mean for me? I know that funds are paid a few days (weeks) after the beginning of each trimester so that's why you are asking for termly evidence. Would I get paid later or would I miss one payment?

Thank you.

Hi there,

If you will be studying a full-time course and will be working with the organisation you have been with for 2 years we would need employment evidence of this, if you are also considering doing part time job along with your current job and be earning money through self employment we would require this evidence also. If you are also self employed we would also request evidence to show you are registered with HMRC as self employed along with invoices and corresponding bank statements. If you the hours you work and money you earned is allows you to full y support yourself financially then there should be no reason why this would not be acceptable. However, it is down to our migrant worker team to make the final decision.

If you find a new job you would be required to send us in a copy of new employment contract with your most recent payslip. As we request termly evidence depending on the date it is received some payments are later, you would not miss a full payment it would be paid to you once your termly evidence has been reviewed and processed.

Our migrant worker team will review all the evidence you send into us with your application and give an overall outcome if you are eligible for the migrant worker support if you do not qualify for Migrant Worker support then you will still be eligible to apply for the EU Package of support for Tuition Fee Loan only.

Thanks, Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending