S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

What streams are you applying for?

For anyone that is new and wants to know more about the Fast Stream graduate scheme you can do so here.

Also, here are the Civil Service Success Profiles which may help you with your application.
_______

Further Resources:

First Work Based Scenarios unlocked - 7th October
First video interview invite - 25th October
First Extra Info unlocked - 7th November
First FSAC invite - 18th November
Last edited by S1elyak1; 7 months ago
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by S1elyak1)
I know it's early but is anyone else on here looking at applying for fast stream when it opens in a couple of months? If so what stream(s) are you considering?
Hi, sorry you've not had an answer to this yet - I'm just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon

What streams are you currently considering?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know it's early but is anyone else on here looking at applying for fast stream when it opens in a couple of months? If so what stream(s) are you considering?
Hey! I'll definitely be applying. My first choice is the diplomatic scheme. :fluffy:

Last edited by shadowdweller; 2 months ago
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Hi, sorry you've not had an answer to this yet - I'm just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon

What streams are you currently considering?
Thank you! I am thinking about applying for the generalist and diplomat. I was considering Social Research as I thought I loved researching but with the way my dissertation is going at the moment it is definitely not for me!
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Hey! I'll definitely be applying. My first choice is the diplomatic scheme. :fluffy:
I'm thinking about applying to diplomatic too but also the generalist
Tyrelldk_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Following
mbrean
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi I am going to apply. I know it's extremely competitive so I'm unsure if I will even get through to many of the stages.
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Was just going to create the 2019 - 2020 thread - saved me the job. Although, you could edit the original post and include the success profiles and link to the website for those who are just new to it

I'll be applying, last time I did so externally and didn't do well at assessment centre lol. Luckily I joined the Civil Service anyway...

This time applying as a Civil Servant, although I think my motivation to be a Fast Streamer has kinda decreased since working with one... but we won't go there :rolleyes:

Diplomatic Service>Finance>Project Delivery>Generalist is probably my order of preference unless there's major unannounced changes. I particularly like the new DS scheme structure.

I find the process to be fun more than anything.
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by mbrean)
Hi I am going to apply. I know it's extremely competitive so I'm unsure if I will even get through to many of the stages.
What stream(s) are you applying for? I know it's super competitive but it's better to apply and be rejected than to not apply and to wonder what might have happened. Plus even if you don't get on you can still apply for jobs within the CS and work your way up the ladder anyway. I read on here (there was an interview with the head of FS) and he said that it can take more than one attempt to be accepted.
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Vexper)
Was just going to create the 2019 - 2020 thread - saved me the job. Although, you could edit the original post and include the success profiles and link to the website for those who are just new to it

I'll be applying, last time I did so externally and didn't do well at assessment centre lol. Luckily I joined the Civil Service anyway...

This time applying as a Civil Servant, although I think my motivation to be a Fast Streamer has kinda decreased since working with one... but we won't go there :rolleyes:

Diplomatic Service>Finance>Project Delivery>Generalist is probably my order of preference unless there's major unannounced changes. I particularly like the new DS scheme structure.

I find the process to be fun more than anything.
Good idea! Thank you, I'll add them now.

What department are you currently working for? I have accepted a HO EO role but have yet to receive my start date. I was told by a current fast streamer that a few people he has worked with have been accepted had previously worked for the CS and that it would be easier to pass the assessments due to having insider knowledge.

How would you say it's fun?
Vexper
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Good idea! Thank you, I'll add them now.

What department are you currently working for? I have accepted a HO EO role but have yet to receive my start date. I was told by a current fast streamer that a few people he has worked with have been accepted had previously worked for the CS and that it would be easier to pass the assessments due to having insider knowledge.

How would you say it's fun?
Nice one!

DWP. I don't think that's the case regarding insider knowledge, I think it's just heightened awareness of the behaviours that the CS is looking for in general recruitment. It's all online for anyone to see really. I think if you've been through a couple of CS applications and interviews you will have some good footing. I mean nobody in my current team who are all experienced Civil Servants even know anything about the Fast Stream lol. Lord Fulton's report is probably still accurate to this day regarding recruitment, it's a bit crap and definitely in favour of certain folks.

Just general scenario based tests I absolute get a kick out of, the e-tray for me is just no pressure at all, feels really like some sort of puzzle/adventure game. :giggle:
Vexper
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sent one of the support team a message to get this pinned instead of my old topic
kcl.97
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'll probably be applying too. I'm currently going into my third year of my degree and I expect to come out with a 2:1, but I also work part-time with HMRC too atm as an AO in Tax Credits.

Think I fancy the Digital, Data and Technology one or Gov Communications Service

Only thing putting me off is the relocation possibilities as I have commitments 😕
Last edited by kcl.97; 11 months ago
username4044124
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Starting the fast stream in September so if anybody has any questions on the application process or the onboarding I’d be happy to offer my (highly limited) expertise.
sa22286
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Toolson,

Congrats on getting on to the Fast Stream and thank you for offering to help. I applies last year but did not get past interview stage. Can I PM you for advice, if okay?

Thanks!
sa22286
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Guys,

Has anyone found any extra material or any steps/advice, to be particularly helpful? I went through the FASC update guide last year and bought one of these packages to practice the tests, but I still did not make it to the assessment centre for the diplomatic scheme (I know it is really competitive). It is really quite frustrating not to know what I could have done better. Any advice?

Thanks
username4044124
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by sa22286)
Hi Toolson,

Congrats on getting on to the Fast Stream and thank you for offering to help. I applies last year but did not get past interview stage. Can I PM you for advice, if okay?

Thanks!
Yeah of course, go for it
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Toolson)
Yeah of course, go for it
I was wondering if when applying for the Fast Stream there's any support/advantage given to those from BAME or poor economic backgrounds or even to those with disabilities.
username4044124
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I was wondering if when applying for the Fast Stream there's any support/advantage given to those from BAME or poor economic backgrounds or even to those with disabilities.
For those from a BAME background, there is the summer diversity internship, which is a paid 6-9 week internship programme, which also fast-tracks you to the assessment centre stage of the fast stream application,

I don’t know about specific help for disabled people but the civil service is very big on making reasonable adjustments for those that need it during the application stage. If you gave specific concerns I’d contact the recruitment team directly and see what they can do for you.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Toolson)
For those from a BAME background, there is the summer diversity internship, which is a paid 6-9 week internship programme, which also fast-tracks you to the assessment centre stage of the fast stream application,

I don’t know about specific help for disabled people but the civil service is very big on making reasonable adjustments for those that need it during the application stage. If you gave specific concerns I’d contact the recruitment team directly and see what they can do for you.
During the application stage of the fast stream, is there a way to declare that you come from a BAME background or if you have a disability? I know that this scheme is supposed to support various disadvantaged backgrounds but I was wondering how it goes about doing this apart from the internship program.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.86%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.45%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (82)
18.64%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (95)
21.59%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
10%
I haven't started researching yet (46)
10.45%

Watched Threads