The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2019/20

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Roxas
Oh dear haha, the fact we got exactly the same is flagging to me maybe there was a mistake and we got the wrong feedback forms? I emailed [email protected]

I will say that the feedback is really generic tho - Mine was the same for the first and last ones (my middle ones were more of the in line with everyone else variety). Both of your situations seem really misleading and unfair, I hope they can give you a good answer as to what has happened!
Could it be what out the 4 we got the stronger feedback for? Or was your guys feedback strong for all 4 tests?

I ask because I've not heard back but I'm thinking I'm not going to hear good news as, though i performed better than most applicants on the interpersonal SJT, i performed quite average for the Thinking SJT, which for GSR, which is the only stream I've applied for, I'm thinking the second SJT is more important for this role than interpersonal which might be A LOT more important for most other schemes. I performed in line with others on the other 2 too.

That's just my speculation on why people with different/same feedbacks are all progressing differently and why I've been preparing myself for not progressing onto WBS.
Hi everyone, Could you please confirm how many tests there are?Is there a test prior to the work style questionnaire part 1 and the situational judgement questionnaire-thinking skills.Thank you.
Original post by beckyo
Good to know it's not just me, fingers crossed!

Just got the email saying my WBS is unlocked, hopefully you’ll get yours too
(edited 4 years ago)
Can someone reccommend how much time to set aside for the Work Based Scenarios?

I know there is no time limit but roughly wanted an idea how long it may take so I know when to do it.
Reply 825
Original post by stulfc
Can someone reccommend how much time to set aside for the Work Based Scenarios?

I know there is no time limit but roughly wanted an idea how long it may take so I know when to do it.

Took me a couple of hours
Original post by 10jero
Ah okay so fairly similar!

Yes that was my thinking too, I did the tests about 2 weeks ago now so unless compared to newer applicants I didn’t perform as well as previously stated.

I may do but only for my own peace of mind, I wouldn’t be so disappointed if I had gotten more average feedback! Also I’m surprised that we didn’t pass at least for generalist with that feedback.

Original post by Mawile
If people actually have been rejected with such strong feedback when others have reached the next stage with decidedly weaker feedback then that’s really poor on the part of the FS - obviously some schemes are more competitive than others with higher pass marks etc but it renders the feedback meaningless. How can someone with roxas’ feedback possibly be unsuccessful at the first stage when others with average feedback across the board haven’t been?

Not to mention that all the initial tests were multiple choice, so some people may have got through with average feedback on sheer luck when others have excelled and been unsuccessful? That’s insane!

If I had strong feedback and my portal was telling me I hadn’t been successful I’d be emailing or calling them to query this 100%

I think ultimately this is a case of automated feedback not being the best way of giving feedback/not necessarily reflecting the nuances of your responses. It sucks, but I wouldn’t put too much in the actual feedback from the automated systems as it is probably designed prior to setting benchmarks/interact weirdly with the other systems that determine when you get through. It may be, for example, that you are average or above average as a candidate (51%) but that the cutoff for your scheme is being in the top 60%. Means the feedback isn’t the most useful, but is just the difficulty of automated systems. The feedback and pass systems don’t necessarily interact with each other to aid giving better feedback.
Original post by mimsyborogrove
I am part of an entire team of people appointed to a role which didn't exist. Some people turned up on the first day, and at about 11.00 am went to see the manager to say "I think I'm in the wrong place - this isn't the job I applied for" to be told sorry, this is all there is. Some people are devastated they left jobs they loved for "promotion" and are now stuck. You aren't allowed to move sideways in the first two years, and there is little chance of promotion from an unspecified role. I think it's very different on the fast steam and TSP because they are structured programmes for development.

Can I be clear- this is more anecdotal than being reflective of the civil service as a whole. The promotion/moving role in 2 years exists in some departments, but not all (I’ve definitely seen it in HMRC adverts, but never in DWP).

Sorry this happened to you and, while it does happen, I don’t want people to think this is normal for the Civil Service.
(edited 4 years ago)
So last year I applied for Diplo and got through to VI stage.
This year I thought I'd improve my chances and applied for Diplo, HoP, Project, Generalist...
I answered the questions exactly the same as last year... Because my work style hasn't changed... And I don't make it past the first hurdle this time.

Feeling bummed is an understatement.
Reply 829
Original post by bownessie
I think ultimately this is a case of automated feedback not being the best way of giving feedback/not necessarily reflecting the nuances of your responses. It sucks, but I wouldn’t put too much in the actual feedback from the automated systems as it is probably designed prior to setting benchmarks/interact weirdly with the other systems that determine when you get through. It may be, for example, that you are average or above average as a candidate (51%) but that the cutoff for your scheme is being in the top 60%. Means the feedback isn’t the most useful, but is just the difficulty of automated systems. The feedback and pass systems don’t necessarily interact with each other to aid giving better feedback.

Oh I know that - it just seems crazy to me that they set these different pass marks so early on in the process from some multiple choice tests, then knowingly let go stronger candidates and keep ones with weaker scores because of an arbitrary pass mark for scheme x being higher than the mark for scheme y 🤷🏻*♀️ I understand that they need to cut down the candidate field as early as possible, but that could also be done by having the same pass mark across all schemes for the first tests, but making the pass mark higher. That way people who excelled don’t lose out and they have the highest calibre of candidates possible going into the next round? But I guess they will have their reasoning!
Original post by Mawile
Oh I know that - it just seems crazy to me that they set these different pass marks so early on in the process from some multiple choice tests, then knowingly let go stronger candidates and keep ones with weaker scores because of an arbitrary pass mark for scheme x being higher than the mark for scheme y 🤷🏻*♀️ I understand that they need to cut down the candidate field as early as possible, but that could also be done by having the same pass mark across all schemes for the first tests, but making the pass mark higher. That way people who excelled don’t lose out and they have the highest calibre of candidates possible going into the next round? But I guess they will have their reasoning!

It does surprise me to some degree that, given the first stages are automated, that you don’t do them and then they give you the option of applying for all schemes you’ve reached the mark for. I understand why they don’t do that post VI, but I think there is definitely a cohort of highly skilled people who apply for the most competitive schemes who may consider other schemes if they were given the option. I know thw counter argument is that you’d end of with people potentially on their 8th choice scheme, but if they choose to go forward with it and pass the assessment, I think that is up to them. It might increase the number of people doing the AC and changing their mind next year, I suppose.
Original post by bownessie
Can I be clear- this is more anecdotal than being reflective of the civil service as a whole. The promotion/moving role in 2 years exists in some departments, but not all (I’ve definitely seen it in HMRC adverts, but never in DWP).

Sorry this happened to you and, while it does happen, I don’t want people to think this is normal for the Civil Service.

Yes, I have heard that where we are is not like the rest of the civil service; I have friends in other places who absolutely love their jobs, and who have clear routes for training and progression.
Original post by S1elyak1
Sorry to intrude but may I ask what department and job you applied for? Also can you define what you mean by move sideways? It's terrible that it happened to you and so many other people and it's scary to think of how many others that are not on this thread or forum that it may have happened to.

I don't want to get into trouble by telling anyone which department and/or job! It isn't any role that you could end up in from the fast stream :smile: Sideways move just means moving to another role at the same grade.
Reply 833
Just found out that I was unsuccessful. I am very keen to work in the civil service - does anyone know if this means I would not be suitable or successful in applying for another civil service role?
Original post by raganosio
This is the first time I hear this because when you apply on CS website there is a very clear job description. And if this happened what you say then those people can complain as there is procedure in place.

Unfortunately the terms and conditions include a catch-all that the list of duties is not exhaustive, and you must be prepared to do any 'similar' work to meet the changing demands of the business. The code you sometimes see for this in job adverts is "fast paced". People have, of course, complained and been told they can quit if they don't like it. Five people from my cohort have quit, but not everyone is in a financial position to do that.
Original post by Aj284
Just found out that I was unsuccessful. I am very keen to work in the civil service - does anyone know if this means I would not be suitable or successful in applying for another civil service role?

Sorry you didn't get through. Don't let it put you off applying for other roles. The big campaigns like fast stream and TSP are notoriously difficult - I have loads of colleagues who have never been successful on these schemes, but still managed to get other roles x
I passed this morning to the WBS but I only had very average/in line feedback. Think you have to take your feedback with a pinch of salt!
Reply 837
Original post by Aj284

It seems like quite a few people who were unsuccessful on the fast stream go on to apply for other EO roles within the civil service and enter that way, maybe have a search on the civil service jobs site for EO roles in your area? :smile:
I did the online tests 3 weeks ago, have had no response. Is anyone else in the same boat?
Reply 839
Original post by mimsyborogrove
Sorry you didn't get through. Don't let it put you off applying for other roles. The big campaigns like fast stream and TSP are notoriously difficult - I have loads of colleagues who have never been successful on these schemes, but still managed to get other roles x

Thanks, I was worried it would mean that I wouldn’t suit the kind of person they look for but fingers crossed! Good luck to you if you’ve applied and are in the running!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending