The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2019/20

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys. I'm down for the London morning session on Tuesday! Few questions.

1. I know it's smart attire but for those who have been, could I wear trousers, smart shoes and a jumper with a shirt and the underneath? I hate wearing blazers...

2. How long does the whole thing last?

3. I've received no correspondence about the day other than my accommodation info. Do we get anything from them RE timing, register info etc?

Cheers!
Original post by st003918
Hi everyone! Congrats to everyone who’s been accepted! I have my FSAC on Monday in London and I have a few questions.
I’m scared about the to time to get all the reading done for the analysis and leadership exercises. Did everyone find that they had time to comfortably read and understand the content or did you have to skim some stuff?
Also for the leadership exercise is it ok to read from your notes whilst you’re talking to the assessor?
Thank you!!

I’m also going to the FSAC on Monday morning in London! Good luck!

I know it’s a silly question but does anyone know if there is a one on one interview where they ask you usual work related questions, as opposed to the three exercises? I’ve seen several other articles about this but I’m not sure if they’re old! It didn’t say anything in the guide about this so I’m assuming it’s just the three exercises.

Also wondering what other people will be wearing? Would smart trousers and a top be okay as opposed to a full on work dress? Thanks!
Original post by HarryR88
Hey guys. I'm down for the London morning session on Tuesday! Few questions.

1. I know it's smart attire but for those who have been, could I wear trousers, smart shoes and a jumper with a shirt and the underneath? I hate wearing blazers...

2. How long does the whole thing last?

3. I've received no correspondence about the day other than my accommodation info. Do we get anything from them RE timing, register info etc?

Cheers!

1. I'd say that would be fine though most lads did have suits on.
2. Mine lasted from 7:45 to about 13:15 - very short breaks between activities
3. Nope apart from accom and train tickets they don't contact you beforehand but there is a guide on their website that covers everything
Original post by rachel_may28

I know it’s a silly question but does anyone know if there is a one on one interview where they ask you usual work related questions, as opposed to the three exercises? I’ve seen several other articles about this but I’m not sure if they’re old! It didn’t say anything in the guide about this so I’m assuming it’s just the three exercises.

Also wondering what other people will be wearing? Would smart trousers and a top be okay as opposed to a full on work dress? Thanks!

No, the leadership exercise is one on one but its role playing based on prior info. No traditional interview stuff. Good luck:smile: Think a lot of girls were in smart trousers when I went , as long as it's smart you'll be fine
Anybody doing their AC in Newcastle tomorrow afternoon?
Original post by notpoodle
No, the leadership exercise is one on one but its role playing based on prior info. No traditional interview stuff. Good luck:smile: Think a lot of girls were in smart trousers when I went , as long as it's smart you'll be fine

Thank you! I hope your FSAC went well!
Original post by rachel_may28

Thanks! Good luck to you too! Are you staying overnight?
Original post by notpoodle
1. I'd say that would be fine though most lads did have suits on.
2. Mine lasted from 7:45 to about 13:15 - very short breaks between activities
3. Nope apart from accom and train tickets they don't contact you beforehand but there is a guide on their website that covers everything

Great nice one. The guide is really good. It only lists three tasks for this year's scheme however things online state numerical and verbal tests whilst you're there too, did you have any?
Reply 3988
Original post by HarryR88
Great nice one. The guide is really good. It only lists three tasks for this year's scheme however things online state numerical and verbal tests whilst you're there too, did you have any?

Nope, the guide states it all! The guide has all of the info for this years set up. The stuff you have found online is probably from years past. Good luck!
Original post by GRL90
I’m still waiting for my travel... my FSAC was last week 🤷*♀️ I think they’re a bit crap!

That sounds super stressful! What did you do?
Reply 3990
Original post by EmilyJ1215
That sounds super stressful! What did you do?

It’s fine for me as I only live an hour and a half from London, and I have a job, so shelling out £30 to travel on the day was not a big deal for me personally. In that respect I am happy that it happened to me not someone else! I could fill out the expenses form and claim back, but tbh, as a tax payer I’d essentially still be paying for it and then also someone to process the paperwork 🤷*♀️ (I do think reimbursement of travel costs, particularly those who had to make big long expensive journeys, is a must tho!)
Hi, this might seem like an odd question but I’m just wondering what we’re allowed to take in with us - can we take our own water bottles in or do they provide water for us? Also I unfortunately have a cold at the moment, do you think I will be allowed to take a packet of tissues in with me? Thanks :smile:
Original post by st003918
Thanks! Good luck to you too! Are you staying overnight?

Thank you! I’m getting nervous haha.

Yes I’m actually on the train now going up to stay! I’m staying at a hotel in Victoria, I booked it myself just because I though that might be easier and I’ll get it reimbursed after. Are you staying overnight as well?
Anyone have their assessment centre on the 18th in London???
Another odd question, but do they provide food? I'm in an afternoon session and not sure about lunch!
Original post by jobapps
Another odd question, but do they provide food? I'm in an afternoon session and not sure about lunch!

They had a hot drink machine with free drinks and some crisps in Newcastle.
Reply 3996
Original post by bethbearo
Hi, this might seem like an odd question but I’m just wondering what we’re allowed to take in with us - can we take our own water bottles in or do they provide water for us? Also I unfortunately have a cold at the moment, do you think I will be allowed to take a packet of tissues in with me? Thanks :smile:

Yes you can take water bottles but they do provide water themselves but no issues with bottles. And yes I'm pretty sure they'll have no gripes about a pack of tissues :smile:
Hi,I have my assessment centre on Wednesday 18th December and have received the hotel booking but not the train tickets. Has anyone else had this problem?
Am i right in thinking no one has heard back for streams that have a FSB? If so does anyone know when we can expect to hear back?
Reply 3999
Original post by angekas
Am i right in thinking no one has heard back for streams that have a FSB? If so does anyone know when we can expect to hear back?

FAQs say by Feb for all FSACs regardless if there is an FSB or not, that doesn’t mean that you won’t hear before then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending