Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This will be my first time applying and I'm quite nervous. I'm vying for the Diplomatic Scheme and it's the only one I'd be interested in. I really don't know how to prepare for the assessment etc. It's especially worrying to hear that it's quite normal for people to apply for various years before they get in. Anyone got any advice?
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
This will be my first time applying and I'm quite nervous. I'm vying for the Diplomatic Scheme and it's the only one I'd be interested in. I really don't know how to prepare for the assessment etc. It's especially worrying to hear that it's quite normal for people to apply for various years before they get in. Anyone got any advice?
Like another poster has said, patience is a virtue and a skill you'll develop well during the process!

You've 4 options, I highly suggest using at least 3 of them. Diplomatic is a v hard scheme to get into, so have it first but consider some backups.

I've been asked so many times about what to do to prep for the tests. Tbh you could look up SJTs online but my suggestion is get familiar with the Civil Service success profiles.
woodlands101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you apply at any point during the open window? Will this affect my chances in any way? I have a lot of work commitments over the next 2 weeks and am worried that if i start the process I wont have a suitable time to complete the tests to my best ability
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by woodlands101)
Can you apply at any point during the open window? Will this affect my chances in any way? I have a lot of work commitments over the next 2 weeks and am worried that if i start the process I wont have a suitable time to complete the tests to my best ability
You can apply at any point, I recommend starting and finishing the application on the same day, so find a day after your busy weeks and set it aside. Good luck!
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Airmed)
You can apply at any point, I recommend starting and finishing the application on the same day, so find a day after your busy weeks and set it aside.
Why is this (if you don't mind me asking)?
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Why is this (if you don't mind me asking)?
You have 5 days to complete the first set of online tests from when you submit your application form. It's personal preference here, but I'd rather get it done at once rather than sit on it for 3 to 4 days panicking, overthinking it, and then doing it.
Vexper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Airmed)
You can apply at any point, I recommend starting and finishing the application on the same day, so find a day after your busy weeks and set it aside. Good luck!
Do you know where you are going for your year 2 placement by the way Airmed? Hope it's better than the first 😆
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vexper)
Do you know where you are going for your year 2 placement by the way Airmed? Hope it's better than the first 😆
Lol, not yet (I've a story for you on that!)
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vexper)
Lord Fulton's report is probably still accurate to this day regarding recruitment, it's a bit crap and definitely in favour of certain folks.
I can't find this. Strange that it's not a sticky :hmmmm:
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
2 days until the scheme opens! How's everyone feeling about it?
Roxas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kevshmin)
All the best to you this time! Have your stream preferences changed during these attempts?
Thank you! Best of luck to you too.

I had diplo as my first choice both times. But my other choices did change. I thought my degree was eligible for the social research stream but it turns out it wasn't (found out after the video interview). HR and generalist were the other two I chose. Have you any ideas on your order?

It's interesting how it works in that you'll only ever be considered for your first choice, unless you miss the entry score for it. For example generalist might have a pass score of 15, and diplo might be 16 (I made these up). If you have diplo second, you'll never be considered for it. You have to balance your desire for each scheme vs the general score to get into it too. But of course in the same breath if you'd be sad to get diplo when you really wanted generalist, there's no reason not to put it first.

To first time applicants, don't be disheartened that you are seeing some of us say it's our 2nd/3rd attempt etc. People are successful first time round, my friend got in on her final year with no relevant work experience. It's definitely doable.
llamab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for all the input so far! Im keen on GSR atm, still thinking about the other schemes to put down for the other options. It seems top competitive ones are Diplo/Generalist? These are the ones Ive heard from most people, anyways.
Roxas
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most competitive are due to number of spaces more than anything. So diplo/econ diplo/science/houses of parliament are the most competitive I think.

Generalist has the most spaces.
HumbleBee_x
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Watching this
shmin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Roxas)
Thank you! Best of luck to you too.

I had diplo as my first choice both times. But my other choices did change. I thought my degree was eligible for the social research stream but it turns out it wasn't (found out after the video interview). HR and generalist were the other two I chose. Have you any ideas on your order?

It's interesting how it works in that you'll only ever be considered for your first choice, unless you miss the entry score for it. For example generalist might have a pass score of 15, and diplo might be 16 (I made these up). If you have diplo second, you'll never be considered for it. You have to balance your desire for each scheme vs the general score to get into it too. But of course in the same breath if you'd be sad to get diplo when you really wanted generalist, there's no reason not to put it first.

To first time applicants, don't be disheartened that you are seeing some of us say it's our 2nd/3rd attempt etc. People are successful first time round, my friend got in on her final year with no relevant work experience. It's definitely doable.
I was really interested in the Social Research stream as well but like you said I don't think my degrees do count towards it. You've given me a lot of really helpful info I didn't think of tbh! I didn't realise that about the order of preferences and scoring, I thought it was more a case of what they think your experiences and aptitude would work best with and allocate accordingly. That actually might influence my preference order.

As it stands my main aim is just I'm really interested in moving into Civil Service and would like to try different parts of the machine so Generalist > Communications > Digital Data & Tech > Commercial . I have an MSc in Marketing Communications, Undergrad in Business Studies and have been working in Marketing for a private company for the last 2.5 years. Do you think that ordering makes much sense?

And as you said I was feeling a bit skeptical hearing about everyone having to try multiple times before getting in but that is good to hear. I also don't know if I'm at a disadvantage as essentially this seems to be a graduate scheme and I graduated a while back and might be a bit older than most of you applying (27 although they probably won't know my age outright).
Roxas
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by shmin)
I was really interested in the Social Research stream as well but like you said I don't think my degrees do count towards it. You've given me a lot of really helpful info I didn't think of tbh! I didn't realise that about the order of preferences and scoring, I thought it was more a case of what they think your experiences and aptitude would work best with and allocate accordingly. That actually might influence my preference order.

As it stands my main aim is just I'm really interested in moving into Civil Service and would like to try different parts of the machine so Generalist > Communications > Digital Data & Tech > Commercial . I have an MSc in Marketing Communications, Undergrad in Business Studies and have been working in Marketing for a private company for the last 2.5 years. Do you think that ordering makes much sense?

And as you said I was feeling a bit skeptical hearing about everyone having to try multiple times before getting in but that is good to hear. I also don't know if I'm at a disadvantage as essentially this seems to be a graduate scheme and I graduated a while back and might be a bit older than most of you applying (27 although they probably won't know my age outright).
Naw your age is probably quite in line with the majority of people applying, i'm 26 so pretty much in a similar boat! You get fresh undergrads, people from masters etc, but also career changers and things like that. There's no age limit so there will be people from all walks of life.

If you put generalist first you won't be considered for the other three roles I don't think. (Maybe double check this with someone who followed last years thread more closely because I didn't, but i'm under the impression generalist has the lowest score to pass usually.) But if your heart is set on generalist than absolutely go for that! It could be the case that generalist needs a higher score than those other 3 this year.
BigTreeBlue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Science and Engineering stream states as well as having or expecting to have a degree you need a master's.

Does anyone know if you need the masters at the point of application, or is it ok if the masters will be completed by sep 2020?
Last edited by BigTreeBlue; 1 month ago
Roxas
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
completed by the time your position would start. If you are doing a masters now you'll be fine
Roxas
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ooh, the online tests at the beginning are different this year. There's more of them!
Popsbr123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Joining the thread because I've just started the application process

Good luck everyone!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (91)
18.88%
Labour (205)
42.53%
Liberal Democrats (97)
20.12%
Green Party (33)
6.85%
Brexit Party (15)
3.11%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.24%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.04%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)