Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wanted a bit of inside info on what to expect. I handed in a application form last week they phoned a couple days later telling me to come down to the store, ask for the manager and have an interview.

I'm mainly looking for responses for people who work/applied for a co-op store about what you were asked, what you said etc.

There was no room for references on the application form, will i be asked for some at this interview?

Although as a general query's, i have a holiday coming up in the middle of July for a week. Is it worth mentioning this at interview? Will it completley ruin my chances of getting the job? I just feel i should mention it as soon as possible in case by some miracle i get the job and then need time off after a couple weeks.

Also I'll probably only be there(at that branch at least) for 3-4 months as I'm at Uni from the start of Oct. How much of a disadvantage is this? Is it best not mentioning it. All though i presume they'll specifically ask.

All responses greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Interviews tomorrow. Can anyone help me out with any of these questions?

Is a suit a bit over the top for this sort of interview?

ReputationRep:
    no, a suits fine for the interview, it's best to go well dressed and stuff, to show that you have put an effort in. and it's best mentioning your holiday in july. when i had an interview for my current job i had a wedding to go to a few weeks after the interview, and i mentioned it to my manager who i had the interview with, and just asked if it'd be a problem, he said no, and i'm sure whoever you'll have your interview with will be fine with it. they have to realise that everyone has commitments and hopefully they'll be flexible for you. and about uni, i'm sure they'll be ok with it too, i work for asda and there's loads of people who go to uni, some of them who are from other parts of the uk and they transfered from where they used to live to a branch nearer their uni, so i'm sure they'll be able to do that aswell. your interviewer will also probably discuss your application form, thats what happened with me, and asking general questions like "what would you bring to the company" and things about working with different people with different age ranges and ethnic backgrounds. hope you find this useful

ReputationRep:
    That's great thanks.

Although the application form was little more than name/address/age and previous employer/education. So I'm still a little apprehensive to what will come up. I don't know weather it's worth finding out a bucket load about Co-op's ethics/ideals/backround malarkey. I guess that's only one for people who've actually been interviewed by Co-op though.

Do you reckon I'll need to have some references in mind? Or is there a chance they might not ask for any.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, well i got asked questions on what i'd put in the hobbies/interests section you always seem to get on application forms, so you might get asked questions on things like that.

hmm, well it's a bit unusual that you didn't need to put any references down, i thought most places want some, but maybe write down your references (if you have any, if not then just give people a ring, like i had my head of 6th form and my form tutor) with their contact details and if they ask for any, you've got them written down to give to them.

ReputationRep:
    I work for Co op (mid counties) and tbh they seem pretty slack. So theres a chance you've got the job already. I'm pretty sure my co op don't interview people, but it may be just my boss is lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billyboymccoy)
    I work for Co op (mid counties) and tbh they seem pretty slack. So theres a chance you've got the job already. I'm pretty sure my co op don't interview people, but it may be just my boss is lazy.
    I really hope so, but i'm not going to get my hopes up prematurely. I'm just happy to finally get an interview. I'll be gutted if i don't get it because of the holiday.

ReputationRep:
    Quickly someone! I'm worried a business suit is too formal. Would just smart shirt/pants be better? Tie or no tie! ARGHhh.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.